Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From today's Indo, remember to remind all English people you know of this fact:
A famous triumph at Goodison

WHILE English soccer historians always maintain that the first foreign side to beat England at home was Hungary in 1953, they actually lost their unbeaten record four years earlier.

The historic day was September 21, 1949 when Ireland beat England 2-0 in front of 51,000 spectators at Goodison Park.

England fielded a full strength team which included such famous names as Wilf Mannion, Tom Finney and Billy Wright and they dominated the game from the start.

But the Irish defence stood firm and when Bert Mozely took Peter Desmond down in the penalty area, Con Martin fired Ireland into the lead from the resultant spot-kick.

Goalkeeper Tommy Goodwin then pulled off a series of breath-taking saves to keep England at bay and five minutes from time Peter Farrell chipped Bert Williams to seal an historic win.

The English may still not acknowledge it but the 1949 team will always have a special place in Irish soccer history.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Brilliant!!! We rock soooo hard, I will never let the English live this one down!!!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Cool I did not know that. Excuse me for a moment while I take this preverbial poo on a stick and wave it in the faces of some Englishmen I know :devil: ;)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
HA Ha Ha!!! Brillinat. I know what u mean Romire, this is going to be great when I bring it up with my pommie mates. Especially HLB...:tongue: In fact, I'm gonna go and brag now! Oh Matt!!!:howler:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts