Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wanted to do that for a long time but because of a lack of knowledge about them, it seemed like a daunting task to do and more importantly to make these phenomenal legends the full justice they deserve. I am talking about the man whom has been considered for more than 20 years, Milan. He was Milan and Milan was him for more than 2 decades. The symbol and bandiera of Milan from the 60's to the late 70's until the 10th Scudetto. That man is Gianni Rivera, aka the Golden Boy.:star:

The second legend, is the one considered by the majority of Milanisti, not only the best coach in our glorious history but more importantly, the most human, the most funniest and the greatest man to ever coach a football team in the world. I'm talking the legendary Nereo Rocco, aka El Paron.:heart::star:

I'm sure that both Diavolo and Lorena aka Yummei could add a lot of greatly informative things about these 2 myths of Milan's history, for the rest of us whom don't have the same knowledge and or the priviliged of being born when they were leading Milan all over the world from victory to triumphs.

Any annecdotes, funny stories (and god knows that there are TONS of funny annecdotes about El Paron and I'm sure also about Rivera) oranything related to them, please share it with us.

So the stage is all yours Diavolo and Lorena. Anything you can add on these 2 miti, would be very welcomed! :thumbsup: :star: :proud:

FORZA GOLDEN BOY!!!:star::proud:
FORZA EL PARON!!!!:heart::heart: :star:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
I will talk of Rivera only as a player.

First, Rivera was better than Platini.:cool:

Bits and pieces

He's considered Italy's best alltime player, regardless of the fact that he received only 1 Golden Ball, he's a Football legend. Should he be reduced to one "thing", I would say it was his passing, no other player, and I really mean no other player, in the game had his short range passaggio smarcante, he would put the ball exactly on the strikers foot (he had the ability to even "know" with witch foot the striker would hit the ball).

He was given a mocking nick "L'abatino" (little abbott) by Inter fan journalist Gianni Brera (the same that coined Inter Vs Juve "derby d'Italia" R.I.P), but to every football lover in Italy he will always be the "Golden Boy".

When Italy lost the WC Final Vs Brazil in 1970, All Italian players but Rivera, were "welcomed" with tomato's and egg throwing, cause the "INTERnal mafia" lead by Sandro Mazzola (and other Inter players) jealous of Gianni's greatness, "conviced" Italy's head coach Ferruccio Valcareggi not to line him up as always in the 2nd half for Mazzola (and even that was a sacrilege), but to bench him for the entire match. Valcareggi lined him in the 84th minute when the match was already lost. He became an hero, and Milan picked up a number of new tifosi because of him

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking of that 70 final, I heard and read that after the game, Pelé said something like "Italy did us a great favour by not playing Rivera" or something along those lines...

That just says it all about the greatness of the Golden Boy. :star:

It's just beyond me how can anyone with a sound mind can even compare let alone put that bully of Sandro Mazzola in the same category of Rivera? :eek: Simply ludicrous to put it mildly...:groan:

And was the Italia 70 coach an Interista btw? That's the only reason I can think of of Rivera being not played regularly...:eek:

Keep'em coming those great annecdotes/stories about these 2 Greats. :cool:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
San Siro said:
Speaking of that 70 final, I heard and read that after the game, Pelé said something like "Italy did us a great favour by not playing Rivera" or something along those lines...

That just says it all about the greatness of the Golden Boy. :star:

It's just beyond me how can anyone with a sound mind can even compare let alone put that bully of Sandro Mazzola in the same category of Rivera? :eek: Simply ludicrous to put it mildly...:groan:

And was the Italia 70 coach an Interista btw? That's the only reason I can think of of Rivera being not played regularly...:eek:

Keep'em coming those great annecdotes/stories about these 2 Greats. :cool:

Cheers.;)
Yes Pelè did say that.

Mazzola compared to Rivera is like comparing Oasis to The Beatles.

No Valcareggi was not a Inter supporter, the DT (Mandelli) was, all the Inter players were against Rivera cause he over shadowed them, pro- Rivera were Rosato (Milan player and born the same day of Rivera), Riva and Albertosi (Cagliari)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
The fastest not given red card in Serie A was in a Juventus Vs Milan (1978). After 2 seconds Tardelli double footed Gianni, that was how "feared" he was.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diavolo said:
The fastest not given red card in Serie A was in a Juventus Vs Milan (1978). After 2 seconds Tardelli double footed Gianni, that was how "feared" he was.
:eek::howler:

Don't we Milanisti love Tardelli?:thumbsup::howler:

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,488 Posts
First, Rivera was better than Platini.
Better than Platini? I beg to differ!!!

With all do respect, but Platini was way better than Rivera.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Dagoods said:

With all due respect....you said in your signature who dare to challenge you.

What if Ronaldo challenge you??Are you confident enough to face him??

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Dagoods said:

For you he wasn't for me he was, Rivera was a star from 16 years old till his last match when he was 36 years old, I ve seen them both, they are both "giants" but given the choice Rivera over Platini.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rivera over Platini? Very tough one. I honestly cannot pronounce myself on this as I have not been privileged enough to witness the Golden Boy. Even Platini when he was at his peak, I wasn't interested in football at the time. I only started following football during the WC86 in Mexico, at the twilight of Platini's career. Both, as Diavolo perfectly said, are giants and monuments of world football. I'll leave it at that as I am not qualified enough to go any further on the topic...

FORZA GOLDEN BOY!!!:star::star:
ALLEZ PLATINI!!!:star::star:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
For me, Gianni, in Italy, is second only to... VALENTINO MAZZOLA.
The Torino captain had two qualities Gianni didn't: a powerful headshot and capability to do everything, defense and attack comprised.

When Rivera got somewhere close the defense line, the Maginot line (defenders) hissed to him to return to midfield... he was dangerous there. Anquilleti recalls better an own goal of his rather than the wonderful goals he did.

Comparing between Rivera and Mazzola Sandro has been my torment, ever. Let's say that one was a playmaker, the other a goalscorer. And Sandro was envious of Gianni, foot to toe. Once he said "I was the best player ever, second only to Pelè, and maybe not even" :howler: :howler: "Take Panini cards, I was a really important figure, not as Rivera, everybody got him twice or thrice"

And he even accused Gianni on serving him unplayable balls!

Gianni, aged 15, made the rival San Paolo stadium up to their feet to cheer on a goal he made while at Alessandria.
He debuted aged 15. At 14, people went to see him, not the Grey Bears's Serie A XI.

Aged 17, he was in the Olympic XI.
He was captain of Italy at 23, of Milan at 24. Winner of the European Cup at 18. Again + World Club Champ + Golden Ball at 26. Italian Chevalier of the Republic at 28.

No, no way, Dagoos... NO ROWLKING WAY!! :fero: :fero:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Diavolo said:
Yes Pelè did say that.

Mazzola compared to Rivera is like comparing Oasis to The Beatles.

No Valcareggi was not a Inter supporter, the DT (Mandelli) was, all the Inter players were against Rivera cause he over shadowed them, pro- Rivera were Rosato (Milan player and born the same day of Rivera), Riva and Albertosi (Cagliari)
Riva benefited from Gianni's shots, and both were sometime friends. That XI was full of trouble and enemies (the Inter group, for instance, looked askance at each other, etc)

And Mazzola has had the nerve, recently, to joke over the events that lead to Rivera's 6 minutes in the 1970 final! :fero:

"At first we wanted to give him a narcotic to make him sleep, then we were about to send Burgnich to box him out, and at last, simply, we walked in to valcareggi and asked him not to field him. That's the truth and do not ask again"

Quite true. In fact, Lisander went to cry over the Gazzetta dello Sport journalists, who were tendentially interists and intervened (much to Brera's chagrin, sure, he disliked Rivera but he always acted straight with him) before mandelli and valcareggi.

Back in Italy, people chorused:
"VIVA RIVERA, mandelli in galera"...so mandelli and valcareggi had to exit by a smaller gate...

Good for the one who cried in the newspapers!! :fero: :fero:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lorena,
As always, a true pleasure reading you and your extremely informative posts which are illuminating our forums the same way than Pirlo is illuminating the San Siro in the same way than Rivera, Donadoni, Van Basten, Savicevic and now Pirlo are doing. :thumbsup:

FORZA LORENA!!!:star::star:

Btw, Mona, where's your much anticipated contribution on El Paron?:star::heart:

Cheers.;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lorena,
Here comes the legendary and unforgettable El Paron:heart::star: :proud:

Cheers.;)

P.S. I tried to attach a picture of El Paron, but apparently it doesn't work...:(:eek:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Il Parón (the Patron) Rocco, Italian Republic's Chevalier and frontal figure of Trieste to this day. You may say that eras die out, buit Rocco's an example as good as the GRANDE TORINO - years do not rub off love when it's true, big and warm.

Rocco did well wherever he went, only excepting the first spell in Triestina, due to ambiental reasons. He based his game on a simple formula "The objective of the game, ostrega (Venetian exclamation), is gettin' the ball to the net" And suffering the least back there.

As he had been a player of discreet success, he knew players and alternated roughness with praise. He was quite plain at guiding groups, but he lifted all spirits with his humanity. Though he was a Rivera supporter by all the line, to the team it just seemed normal - wasn't Gianni the brain to all of them's brawn?

"I admire Sandro Mazzola, I appreciate De Sisti that's been doing real miracles. I like Juliano so much that I'd have it in my team. But to all of them, I say, hey, sirs, I prefer 'Giani' Rivera to all of you"
Nereo Rocco

It's not clear if it was him who created truly catenaccio as we know it. But his Maginot line (defensive line in the French border on WWI) and the expressions ("we left 3 at Redipuglia" (a famous butchery battle on WWI), he mouthed after Estudiantes hunted down half the team) he used were as tough as what he showed to the world. to him, soccer was a game, but not a war.

He gave chances to the finest in soccer in his teams: without him, Rivera wouldn't have reached quota 500, and who would have given faith to frail GIGI MERONI, to "Birdy" Hamrin, to "Antonio" Antognoni, and the like?

The main praise for Rocco was he knew people and got involved deeply with them. Most people who knew him "fell in love" with him. He got journalists to get him back home (he didn't like spending), his humorous quotes were picked everywhere (once juventus-oriented chronist vladimiro caminiti threatened him, upon arrival at Torino, "Paròn, with this pen I'll destroy you" and he was asked with no ceremonies to"stick that pen up yer rear ****") and he was, sure, the best man for the R&B wedding.

Trainers can be forgotten.
True men, never.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lorena, that's beautifully put!:thumbsup::proud:

As you perfectly said,

Trainers can be forgotten.
True men, never.
:proud: :star:

FORZA EL PARON!!!!:heart::heart: :star::star:
ETERNO!!!

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
San Siro said:
Lorena,
Here comes the legendary and unforgettable El Paron:heart::star: :proud:

Cheers.;)

P.S. I tried to attach a picture of El Paron, but apparently it doesn't work...:(:eek:
Tried that too. Tripod pages do not show the image :(
See youuuuuuu!!!

Lorena ^_^!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yuumei said:
Tried that too. Tripod pages do not show the image :(
See youuuuuuu!!!

Lorena ^_^!
Where are you going for your holidays Lorena?
Have a great holiday cara!!!!:cool:

Btw, the Vina festival, when is it? Are you going to attend it this year? If yes, make sure to take as many pics as possible and then, send them to me, ok?;)

TGTMSF :stuckup::star: :thumbsup:

Cheers.:)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Well... I seldom watch the festival. And it's kinda boring, the artists are kinda same.
Photos can be found at www.canal13.cl

This year I'm going to German-populated Valdivia, tomorrow night we get the train ;)
Night train, then down to Valdivia, Puerto Montt, Angelmó :)star: :star: ) and maybe Chiloè, the Isle of Magic!

Beer, shellfish, lakes... whoa!
Well, take care, all of you ;)

Best wishes
Lorena "the sweet and firm" :D
TGTMNF :stuckup:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I wish you a very happy and memorable vacation/holiday Lorena cara!:)

Cheers.;)

TGTMSF :star::proud:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts