Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following article has nothing to do with Juventus except the fact that it goes about Trezegol. Since we love him so much I decided I should this here aswell.

David reveals us things on his life. Choices he made. The kind of choices that have a huge importance in one's life...
> onefootball.com
Trezeguet said no to Argentina

Saturday 26th January 2002

Juventus forward David Trezeguet has revealed he turned down the chance to play for France's World Cup rivals Argentina, the country where he was brought up.

Trezeguet spent his childhood in Argentina, moving from France when he was two years old. And he has intensified the rivalry between the World Cup favourites by admitting that for many years he considered himself to be an Argentinian.

"I went to Argentina in 1979 when I was two years old," he explained. "I don't remember anything from my first two years in France. My idols were more Maradona than Platini, but when I watched Formula 1, I was always rooting for Prost against Senna.

"Of course I was an Argentina supporter. The Argentina shirt has been very dear to me. When I touched the World Cup in 1998, it was the same trophy Maradona had touched in 1986. It was beautiful – but the blue shirt is dearer to me now," he added.

Trezeguet moved from Buenos Aires to Monaco aged 17, where he linked up with his current international team-mate Thierry Henry. And though he was soon selected to play in France's Under-18 squad, the transition was far from easy.

"It was very difficult for me. Before joining Monaco, I really wanted to go to France. Then, when things were getting tough for me, as a 17-year-old, I stayed on the bench at Monaco and I missed home."

For all his South American feelings, though, even when he was in Argentina he was singled out: "I was born in France, and that's why they called me 'the Frenchman' in Argentina. I was overjoyed with that, although I can't say I was feeling French at all.

"It's hard to explain, but I always had this little thing inside me that attracted me to France, although I couldn't go there. There was always something."

But before then, Trezeguet snubbed the chance to play for Argentina, World Cup winners in 1978 and 1986.

"I could have played for Argentina Under-17s during the Youth World Cup in Qatar in 1995. I know that coach Pekerman had asked for information about me.

"But not long later, Thierry Henry told me that French coach Gerard Houllier had asked him about me. I had a long talk with my dad, and we decided the best thing for me, as I was in France, was to play for France. And because of restrictions on foreign players, it was easier for me to make it as a French citizen."

And the prospect of a second round – or quarter-final – clash with his 'second nation' appeals to Trezeguet. "I have never played against Argentina. It's a game I would love to play in if I'm given the opportunity."

Trezeguet has rarely let France down when his has been given an opportunity. Indeed, his international scoring record – averaging a goal every 83 minutes – sees him third in the France all-time list behind the legendary Just Fontaine.
Btw - since we're talking about Trezegol I read this afternoon he pledged his future in Turin ! He said he would be very happy to spend all his career with Juve despite the numerous offers he received (and he will receive) from other major clubs...
I think David will become a Juventus legend. Trezegol will go down in history.
:)
Forza Trezegol !

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Trezegol seems to be a bit more matured latelly with his recent good form and he's gotten 13 gols right and is on top of the goalacoring sheet, right? It's nice to see a good player go from good to great, it's nice that he's becomming world-class and learning in the proccess. It's a pity he's got to play for the Feckin Juventini! haha Stephanho, that's what you get for calling my team the Feckin Milanisti. :tongue:

I also think David will stick to Juventus for awhile, maybe not his whole carreer but you guys got him right where you want him. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Quote from onefootball.com article
Trezeguet spent his childhood in Argentina, moving from France when he was two years old.

Trezeguet moved from Buenos Aires to Monaco aged 17, where he linked up with his current international team-mate Thierry Henry.
:confused: Am i the only one who thinks this looks a tad contradictory?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Trezegol / The National Dilemna...

Nero said:
:confused: Am i the only one who thinks this looks a tad contradictory?
Does it??
- He was born in France.
- When he was 2 he moved to Argentina
- When he was 17 he went back to France

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
In these days, noone can say with 100% that he will remain at only one club for his whole career. I've seen many players who said this and after some time they just leave like mice.

Trezegoal deserves to be finnaly a starter on a big tournament. Screw that **** Anelka and put Trez in front with Henry. This year the Juventino shows a great determination and scoring skills. The Fr NT coach must stop closing his eyes.

Bye Bye.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Zidane (remember him?) said the same thing, I'll end my career in Turin. And look where he is now.:mad:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nobody can say Trézéguet will play in Turin for the rest of his career indeed. Nobody knows how things will be looking in some years if not months.

The thing is Trez is enjoying a wonderful moment at Juventus being top scorer in the Champion's League and in the hunt for the title in the Serie A mercatori contest... He seems to be successful at everything he tries at the moment giving him (or being due to) a huge confidence.

Now we cant see and he cant see why would he leave to another club as Juventus are doing well -Juve is the kind of club where you can get a lot of trophies- and are paying well. The relationship between him, the club, the management and off course the fans is excellent...

So obviously his statement wasn't very objective and only reflectsthe actual positive spirit in Turin... So let's see how Trez will react when things will be less easygoing for him -which I hope will occur as late as possible :)

But the thing I wanted to point out is -don't kill me- that I can't see him that long at Juve. You gotta understand that:

1) Trez is very young and a club such as Juve, to be competitive, has to make profits and thus transfer a player whose market value is big in order to gain cash; that's just the way it is and it's logical. The important is not to sell him before he hasn't been able to gives all his best to the club...

2) He's French and that generates a totally different relationship between him and all around him; a foreigner doesn't play in your club because he loves it but because that's the best option for him and should another opportunity -more interresting- I cant see him opposing the patriotic argument unlike Del Piero for example.

3) We might get bored of him sooner than later and a lot of people like change. Remember how pissed off we were at him in the beginning of last season ?? Nothing can make me think this cant happen anymore... And who knows !? Maybe the next best thing will present in a near future and we'll all forget about Trez...

In conclusion I'd say that I'll be glad to see him remaining with us 3 or 4 seasons more but I don't expect nor want him at Juve forever ! If he decides to leave I would thank him, say goodbye and wish him all the best... Only seeing our symbols -Del Piero, Ferrara, Tacchinardi, Conte- leaving would breakmy heart...

Having said this I really adore Trez and I hope he can bang a couple of goals for us tonight !!!
Forza Trezegol ! :happy:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I hope he doesn't stay but like 60% of the times when a player says he wants to stay at a club he usually means it for like a good 7 years or so but I am not so sure in this sittuation. It's players like Nesta for Lazio and Maldini for Milan who have gone trough thick and thin with their club from the Reserve club and the Seniors club. It's been their love for all their life. Trezegol is probably pledging a long deal of his future to the Old lady.

Zidane said that? I don't think it was a must for him to leave Juventus, deep down i think he did it coz of his wife, if it wasn't for his wife i don't think he would ever have gone to Real Madrid, he was doing just fine at Juve. and with the entrance of Lippi, i don't think he'd just suddently wanna leave. Perez was an arse though coz Juve tried to keep him but couldn't, I can just remember it now. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts