Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trez backs left out Del Piero Wednesday 29 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

France star David Trezeguet has backed club teammate Alessandro Del Piero to prove his worth at the World Cup.

The Juventus forward is by no means certain of a first team shirt for the Azzurri and looks likely to start on the bench for their opener against Ecuador.

A fact that Trezeguet, Serie A top scorer last season with 24 goals, finds hard to believe at this moment in time.

"No one can doubt Del Piero’s quality. Alex is a great man and a fantastic player," he said from the France training camp.

"He is an exceptional talent and you will see this when he is given the chance to do so. He won’t let Italy down when called upon."

Del Piero came into the tournament after a stunning end to the championship where he helped inspire Juventus to a famous Scudetto victory.

However, he seems to have fallen away from Coach Giovanni Trapattoni’s first team plans recently.

Trap had initially planned to field Pippo Inzaghi with Christian Vieri for the game against the South Americans.

But it now seems that even in Inzaghi’s absence, the tactician will select Francesco Totti alongside the Inter forward. Leaving Del Piero on the bench.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I wonder if Trezeguet is saying this because he actually thinks Del Piero is great or because he wants the same to happen again as when we played France last. :groan:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think trez knows that DP has been the best support striker this season. and i'm sure that its not only trez who is wondering why DP is on bench, but i'm sure the other billion people watching the WC are thinking the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts