·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trappatoni+Cattenacio+officiating=disaster

How many of us agree to the following;

1) A new coach, even if non Italian
2) Building a midfield with vision
3) Catenaccio doesn't work anymore (Sorry Tazz)
4) Bringing FIFA and the officials to court
5) Allowing the people, the fans, to vote for the players to the WC
6) Limited foreign players in Italy

I waited 4 long years, just like everybody else, with high hopes, only to see this team fail and fail miserably.

To me, Trap was the worst decision maker that the Azzuri ever had. The worst coach by far. He left some key players behind, in Italy, and he could not field a line up with any sense at all.

Well since I am going to dissappear from this site for a good long time, simply because I am fed up of talking about Calcio, I will put my 2 sense into this;

PLAN B is required from this organization ASAP or we will not see the Azzuri win a WC in our lifetime.

This WC left such a bitter and bad taste in my mouth, the officiating, the team , the coach, that I am not sure that I will follow up to the next 4 years like I've done in the past. In fact, I don't think I believe in the World Cup like I once did.

England = big buisness in Asia
USA = big buisness in Asia
Korea = continous profit for FIFA and good for politics
Germany = Hosting the next WC
Senegal = good for African football and there chance at the WC hosting
Brazil = required for the sport

Can someone please do the math, or am I just dreaming

:confused: :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The irritating thing is that the angry Italian fans don't realize that they have the ability to prevent the refs from ruining the game. The Italian team can choose to dominate the field and extend their lead. If they did that then the ref bias would be inconsequential.

Sure the refs sucked. Sure they seemed biased toward Italy. Though in fairness, both sides Italy and SKorea were pulling shirts far more than what I observed in other games. I watched the Spain-Ireland game and I was astounded at how cleanly that game was played. There were very few tactical fouls, there was no diving. The referee, the Swede, was pleasant and in control. It was a totally enjoyable game.

By comparison, the Italy/SKorea game was a disgrace. The ref was obnoxious and arrogant beyond belief. His entire demeanor was not about fair play but about retribution.

That said, the Italians play into the hand of corrupt refs. They play into their hand by going on the defensive so much. Who gets called for most penalties? Its not the offensive player, its the defensive player. So if you are playing defense 80% of the time you are putting yourself at risk for accumulating yellow cards. If you allow the other team to put the ball in your box, based on your confidence in clearing it, you still put yourself at greater risk for being called for a penalty.

Take the ball, attack the other team's goal, don't dive, and you will be rewarded. Its simple. Italy just doesn't get it.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Who would have thought that Italy would be content defending against Korea in a world cup game!! You looked better in the first half when you pressed them and they were forced to play long balls into your defence.

The ref shouldn't have been an issue in extra time with the dodgy offside and send off. (although Totti dives too much) The game should have been won in the 90 mins instad of just hanging on and hoping Korea doesn't score. It reminded me of the Spain - Ireland game but Spain got away with it.

I think it is time for the whole of Italian football to take a look at themselves and honestly admit that the tactics that they used are outdated and simply do not work on the big stage anymore. Is it just coincidence that Italian clubs have fallen off badly over the last couple of years with those very same tactics and coaches? Every team that has played defensive in this tournament has eventually gotten punished. But why Italy persist with it is amazing considering the attacking options that you have. For Montella to hardly get any action in four games is incredible to me.

Four games, one win, two losses and a draw says everything.

I hope Croatia learn the same lessons.:(

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
I agree with most of what Baresi said in here. I will just add the following:

As long as Italy doesn't change their mentality and approach to the game of football drastically, they will only get worse and may never make any impact in the highest level let alone win a major international title.

It's been killing me and all the italian fans to see the various italian CT's waste, yes literally waste their incredible talent by always opting for a defensive mentality and let this talent dormant go wasted. Italy has all the talent in the world to win games and tournaments alla grande with style by imposing their game, but the coaches rather play it safe, containing the opposition for 95% of the time and relying on sporadic counter attacks.

In order to be able to make this vital shift, the FIGC must put in charge a young coach, who will not be afraid to utilize a completely new and different philosophy to the tactical approach of the game. That coach must be young as the old italian coaches may be too much tied and faithful to the old-fashionned tactics of the past based on the once legendary catenaccio. To me, such a coach would be Gigi Del Neri with his fresh new approach to the game.

What we're seeing with gli Azzuri, is a faithful reflection of what we've been seeing in Serie A. The whole of Italian football should use this Asian experience as a time to reflection and to do their mea culpa for the sake of the whole Italian football in general, Serie A and la Nazionale altogether. This whole process started a few years ago with the fiasco of the italian clubs in the European Cups. Yet instead of using those warning signals as such, they were simply dismissed as "minor, accidental and non-important happenings". Well, guess what? those were real warning signals that any wise man would have have been able to interpret the way they should have been: as warnings to make the necessary changes to improve things.

I just hope that the FIGC will now realize that things have evolved and that they should review their whole approach to the game of football completely. The survival and renaissance of italian football is dependent upon this.

All the best to Italia and Italian football.:)

A frustrated long time fan of Italian football.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Re: Trappatoni+Cattenacio+officiating=disaster

UV said:
How many of us agree to the following;

...5) Allowing the people, the fans, to vote for the players to the WC...
hahahahahaha:howler: better yet, let's restrict the vote to all the second-guessing a-holes on this forum...Italy will doubtless win the next four world cups

Cheers,

Romulus

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Re: Trappatoni+Cattenacio+officiating=disaster

UV said:
5) Allowing the people, the fans, to vote for the players to the WC
Reminds me of the NBA Allstar game.. :D

That would be chaos no doubt... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts