Xtratime Community banner

Trappatoni about Parma!

412 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  8148 
#1 ·
The NT. Old memories of a great carreer. But also Parma. These have been the subjects Trapattoni talked about, as a guest of the TV show Calcio&Calcio.

"I think that Parma should be in a much safer situation now, after having defeated Udinese last sunday. It is true that this club could have been much higher in the ladder, but this has been an unlucky season. It happens, even if it is quite disappointing".

"I think Parma has one of the best youth programs in the country. Cannavaro and Sartor are going to be with me in Japan. But in the future, I am sure that many other players oming from Parma's program are going to wear the NT jersey".

"I have a very good relationship with the club, and let me tell you that I would have been happy to be Parma's coach. The club is one of the best in Europe. This disappointing season does not count, at all".

"Parma will be playing more and more young footballers. I think it is the right time and Parma is the right place for young players to get experienced and improve".

#3 ·
yeah AMO.....he is going to take Sartor to Japan. Sartor has made an good season an d he needs backup for the right defence.;)

#5 ·
No offence, but if Sartor is going... I think Oddo will be justified in filing a complaint to human rights office at the U.N ;).

Canna of course, Di Vaio would be justified, and Marchionni could add something that isn't in the squad even if he hasn't had such an impressive season as hoped/expected- namely speed on the wing.

Sartor... hardly.

Ciao.

#6 ·
Depends on the formation Glen.

If Trap plans to play a 4 man defence or even considers that as an option, the choices are two: Panucci and Sartor. They both go and deserve it. Now, if he plans to play Sartor as a wing back, its a bad idea and Oddo would serve him better.

But for a 4 man defence, Sartor and Panucci are extremelly solid and trustable.

#7 ·
Indeed, indeed, but you're forgetting that Trap played Canna as right back in England when testing this formation :).

3 possible players for right back could be a bit steep.

If you want to discuss the possible alternatives though- I would say that Pessotto (honestly- not because of Juve :)) is a better choice than Sartor because he can play on both sides, and even has experience in midfield, where I think everyone recalls how he shut down Zidane at WC '98. Moreover- Pessotto has had a stronger season than Sartor no matter how one looks at it. As both of them would be fringe opportunities who would only be used if Trap has to revert from the favourite formation, I think versatility and experience would speak for Pessotto.

Anyway- I think it's a given that Italy will start out in 3-4-1-2. The 4 man backline is just an emergency formation in my book.

Ciao.

#8 ·
I disagree that Pessoto is having a better season than Sartor. Sartor has been very good this season, at least in what he can do. Sure his offencive game is lacking (though he improved in comparison with last year) but then again, so does this of Pessotto. I consider them equal players and only reason Pessotto has been "sining" is because for years now he played while Sartor didn't due to formations.

Sartor is as good wing back as Pessoto in my opinion. And mind you, none of them is a particularly good wing back.

But Pessotto is going to the WC anyway, Sartor would be the second choice RB. Cannavaro is not a RB and if Trap intents to use a 4 man backline he should start getting used to the idea of either Maldini or Cannavaro sitting out. Panucci should be the RB and Coco the left back.

Anyhow, if Trappatoni considers a 4 man defence, Sartor is a very valid option for the RB spot. Behind Panucci of course.

#9 ·
Mind you, I would not pick Sartor for the WC unless I was going for a 4 man defence for sure. But I see Trap's logic if he does this. After all, its not the most stupid thing he will do when you look at Delvecchio, Albertini and freaking Gattuso packing their stuff for Japan- mama mia. :)

#10 ·
LIT said:
Hey Prof! ;) Haven´t heard much of you last time!:(

well.......i`ve been a busy man hehe ;):D

#11 ·
Haha- you know how it is dude. We usually agree so much on everything, that it's essential to follow through when we don't. If nothing else- then for the sport of it as you've just returned from Greece ;).

Had these two players in questin not been a; a parma player and b; a Juve player- we both know that A; You would have agreed with me and B; I would not have caredenough to quarrel :D . As it is we obviously have to take it further.... :tongue: .

Gazetta's rating's are usually the most reliable- agreed ? Obviously they don't speak the whole truth, and parma's difficult season has an effect on the ratings given for sure, but it's an indication both on the individual performances, and the status of the players performances within the team- right ?

For Pessotto- his average rating is 6.23 which makes him number 4 from the top in the Juve charts.
http://www.gazzetta.it/scalcio/rice...=&LATEST=S&IDANAGRAFICA=1548&TIPO=REDAZIONALE

We both know neither of these players would or should be starters, and as such- it's necessary to know that they will be dependable when coming on. As I think the ONLY Juve player- it is remarkable, that Pessotto has not had ONE rating below 6. This means he rarely if ever stands out, but he is ALWAYS dependable. He has played right and left back, left midfield, and even two games in central midfield when we had the most injuries, and he always get's the job done.

Sartor: is 7th from the top at Parma with an average of 5.97.
http://www.gazzetta.it/scalcio/rice...=&LATEST=S&IDANAGRAFICA=1390&TIPO=REDAZIONALE

Since the 22th round he has picked up his game tremendously, is still a bit in and out of the lineup, but I don't know if that's because of injuries.
Based on the above, and the fact that Pessotto is a given regular regardless of formation, and one of the few who can be completely certain not to be sold this Summer whereas rumours are flying around from Sartor's agent that he's on his way to England- I think it's save to conclude that most people would say Pessotto has had a stronger season ? right ?

If as you say Pessotto is going anyway- it's as a utility player surely, and since Italy isn't likely to use the 4 man defence, having Panucci, Sartor and Pessotto available for the poition is a bit steep when we know that Trap actually plays Cannavaro there in his first choice back 4:
Panucci/Canna/Pessotto__Nesta___Mat.___Maldini/Coco/Panucci/Pessotto
...Trap is very much covered.

Thus- even if Trap wants to be sure he has alternatives for the back 4- selecting Sartor would be stupid, as it would take away the spot from a player Italy could need more in midfield or attack.

Are we in agreement :D ?

Ciao.

#12 ·
Pessotto has been a left back for Juventus all the season. At least in Serie A. He has been playing his natural position in a club fighting for the championship. Sartor has been mostly playing a position which is not his own aka a position he is asked to attack, in contention with Diana while Pessotto has absolutely noone to fight for his place with.

That Chelsea is interested in Sartor actually goes to show he has been having a good season since a club wants to buy him. More or less, it is just a rumor and I can bring you rumors with as much foundation about Pessotto.

And I said, I agree with you that I would not pick Sartor if a 4 man defence was just an option but only if it was a certainty.

Have you thought the possibility that Trap picks Sartor instead of Bonera/Iuliano exactly because he can play as right back as well as in a 3 man defence in an emergency situation? Sartor could be a more versatile option for the 6th central defender. :)

#13 ·
:howler:

No- sorry, I hadn't thought about that. I think Sartor's proficiency on the right back and in a 3 man defence (say what ?!?!) is sort of cancelled by the fact that Iuliano can play comfortably as a central defender in the 4 man line and in a 3 man defence :). Picking Sartor over Bonera is easier to deal with, but aren't we in agreement that the selected defenders/defensive wingbacks ought to be:
Nesta, Canna, Maldini, Materazzi, Coco, Panucci, Iuliano and Pessotto... and in that order concerning possible playing time ?

You said 6th. defender, on which I agree if Trap only wants the 3 man defence, but it's more than likely he is thinking about getting players for the 4 man defence as cover.

Even if your account of ratings is actually rather decent, I think the fact that Pessotto has been the 4.th "best"/most consistent performer and a regular at a Championship chasing side, and Sartor a quasi-regular 7.th best performer at a side... which hasn't been challenging for Lo scudetto says just as much.

STOP it- selecting Sartor wouldn't make any sense ;).
OK- I'lll stop it anyway- your last one is for free... I think ;).

Ciao.

#14 ·
Are we supposed to pick players only on the grounds of Gazzetta Ratings? You told me last night that Del Piero is third from bottom for Juventus, does this mean that Di Vaio who I assume has higher rating and has scored more goals should be selected over him? Not really.

Saying that he would select 6 defenders only if he wants to go with a strictly 3 man defence is what I dont understand. Why shouldn't he select 6 if he had a 4 man defence as an option? And Italy with Iuliano has enough central defenders to field a 3 man central defence twice (Sartor in an emergency situation can play as a man marker, and he is ok too) whereas in case Trap decides after the first game to go with a 4 man defence he is left with only one natural right back in Panucci. Pessotto can play on the right too but he is basically a leftie and as I said I do not consider him better than Sartor. So a selection of Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Materazzi, Panucci and Sartor is more versatile and able to be used in different formations. And Sartor is an excellent defencive wing back so he can play there too, like Pessotto is an excellent defencive wing back for the left side. Honestly, even if Di Livio is at his natural position at right midfield, I cant actually think he would do better than Sartor, simply because with Sartor you can feel safe defencivelly. And Italy does intent to play defencive and we know that.

#15 · (Edited)
Bah :).

I already told you that the ratings were only for the laugh of it :).
The versatility of Pessotto, and the overall needs of the squad- be it a 3 or 4 man defence is the real reason.

I think you're getting me wrong on the 6 man thing. For ages- it has been considered a certainty that Trap would play a 3 man defence. Thus we have all, when trying to pick an Italy squad, acted under the impression that we needed 3 starters and cover for those starters. That's where that origins right ?

Those 6 defenders have been perceived to be: Nesta, Canna, Maldini, Materazzi, Panucci and Iuliano.

Agree or disagree, but those are the favourites right ?

Then- the England friendly and other indications could suggest that Trap wants to have the 4 man defence as an opportunity too, just like Zoff used it at EURO2000.

If he fields a 4 man defence, and it isn't because of injuries- then Canna will play that right back position. If it is because of ijuries- then Panucci is propably first in line. Pessotto as you said is propably going to the WC anyway, and as he can play both sides- no more cover is needed, and Sartor would just take up space.

Pessotto is only a third option on both backs himself, as Coco is obviously also ahead of him, as is, needless to say, Maldini. One could then argue that Pessotto isn't needed at all, which could be right, but he has also played with the same, moderate success as a left midfielder in the 3-4-1-2. He is obvously hopeless offensively, but we all know that is propably not that much of a downside for Trap anyway. As a utility player defending a lead- he's golden, and it's not like the alternatives to Coco are rosy- unlike Oddo and perhaps Marchionni and Asta on the other wing.

My point isn't, that Sartor isn't a good player; only that taking him to the WC would be a waste of space no matter the formation and tactics, simply because he's just a third option like Pessotto- but without the versatility and experience. That's the primary.

Ciao.

#18 ·
well it opens the way for sartor. Now when pessoto can`t make it i think either Zauri or sartor will.

I hope it`s sartor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.