Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giovanni Trapattoni and Marco Tardelli are the two early front-runners to take over as coach of the Italian soccer team after Dino Zoff resigned on Tuesday.

Zoff quit in reaction to stinging criticism of his tactics in the Euro 2000 final defeat by France from opposition centre-right leader Silvio Berlusconi.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) may make a bid to persuade Zoff to think again on Wednesday when its president, Luciano Nizzola, meets the man who led Italy to the Euro 2000 final.

But unless Zoff performs an uncharacteristic U-turn and bows to the calls of his players to stay on, Nizzola will have to move swiftly to appoint a new coach ahead of the qualification campaign for the 2002 World Cup.
Italy's bid to make it to South Korea and Japan begins in September with the opening game away to Hungary in Budapest.
Within hours of Zoff's shock announcement, Italy's most successful club coach, Trapattoni, had thrown his hat into the ring.
Trapattoni, currently without a coaching post, had been linked with the post of Germany's national coach before Monday's appointment of Rudi Voeller as caretaker until Bayer Leverkusen coach Christoph Daum takes over in June.
"To coach Italy is an honour for anyone and naturally I would also be honoured if I received the call," said Trapattoni who resigned as Fiorentina coach at the end of last season.
For 10-15 years my name has been linked with the Italy post but nothing has ever worked out...but as I said to Germany, I'll say the same to Italy - it would be an honour".
Trapattoni is the most successful coach in Serie A, having won eight Italian league titles, one European Cup, three Uefa Cups and a Cup Winners' Cup during his spells at AC Milan, Juventus and Inter Milan.
He also won a German Bundesliga title in 1997 in his second spell at Bayern Munich and qualified Fiorentina for the Champions' League in 1998.
Many in the game feel it could be Trapattoni's "turn" to take over the Italy job but the 61-year-old's age and his outspoken approach may count against him.
Italy have often looked to appoint from within and Tardelli, who led Italy's under-21 team to victory in June's European championship in Slovakia, is next in the internal pecking order.
Unlike Trapattoni, Tardelli has no record of success as a club coach but Zoff's former team mate at Juventus and Italy would offer an attractive element of continuity.
Players such as Demetrio Albertini, Antonio Conte and Paolo Maldini will be reaching veteran stage by the 2002 World Cup and the next coach will have to consider introducing some younger blood.
Tardelli has spent the last two seasons working with players such as Gennaro Gattuso, Marco Zanchi and Roberto Baronio -- all likely to feature in future Azzuri line-ups -- and could relish the chance to move up to the full national side.
AS Roma coach Fabio Capello and Inter Milan boss Marcello Lippi are other names that are likely to be mentioned in the coming days but they are both tied to long-term contracts at their clubs.
If the FIGC decides to turn to a current Serie A coach then Parma's Alberto Malesani is the most likely to be in the frame.
Former Italy coaches Cesare Maldini and Arrigo Sacchi are unlikely to be considered and it would be a huge surprise if Italy opted for a foreign coach.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Hello everybody!I haven't been here for a long time.oh guys!I was right when I said we shouldn't blame Zoff(it was before Euro2000).And know I want him to stay.Oh Berlusconi...why don't you keep your mouth close!!!And about replacement for Zoff...it must be a coach with strong nerves who doesn't even gives a s*it on journalists and other critics!And with such man Azzurri gonna win WC2002!
<---------------------------------------------------------->
Forza Juve!Forza Italia!

G

·
I would LOVE to see Capello, but Trap will be just as good... Mark my words, he will lead Italy to victory in the next World Cup...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Trappatoni is the man.His huge experience and respect he has all over the world can do no hamr to the Squadra Azzura whatsoever.He may actully turn Italy to a football team because with Zoff it was a rugby team.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it seems as though TRappatoni is the man..His offical statement will come Friday..And his national debut will be September 2 or 3 when ITaly face Hungary for WC qualifying match.
I think this is a good choice>

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Il Trap will lead us to WC 2002 and then win it.

What I really did find weird with Zoff was Why he never gave Beppe a chance?? I always thought that Zoff really liked Beppe.

And think if it was Beppe who would have those chances Del Piero had??

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Sigh....am i the only one who can see it? Trapp is a horrible decision because he is outdated his tactics are has beens and he is sadly the Italian version to Mario Zagallo.

Argues with players is stubborn and own way and doesn't understand the new concepts of squad rotation.

Anyway.......its time to get behind teh AZZURRI and hope for the best.

p.s.AMO.......while your French team may have deserved to win the tournament even the biggest French fan has to admit that our "RUGBY" had you guys chasing ghost the whole night. Italya deserves to win the final. France deserved to win the tournament

1 - 7 of 7 Posts