Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trap watching young duo Monday 22 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parma striker Alberto Gilardino and Stefano Mauri of Brescia have caught the eye of Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni.

The tactician revealed last week that he could still experiment ahead of Euro 2004 and the two youngsters may get a call up for the Portugal friendly next week.

"I’ve looked at what has been happening on the pitch over the last few months," said the veteran Coach.

"I have to say there are a few players who we are following with great interest and who could have a future in the national team.

"Gilardino is doing great at Parma and there are also youngsters who could prove extremely useful, like Stefano Mauri of Brescia."

Gilardino (pictured) has had a wonderful campaign, which has seen him linked with a summer move to one of the big Italian clubs.

However, he is unlikely to win a place at the European Championships given the fact that he will feature for the U-21s at their Euro Finals this summer.

Meanwhile, Mauri is making a name for himself after his fine performances for the Lombard club.

The 23-year-old was signed in the summer at the request of new boss Gianni De Biasi. Both were at Modena last term.

channel4

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
right now, Gilardino is better than di vaio and corradi.

i wouldnt mind seeing vieri, inzaghi and gilardino as our strikers with cassano, del piero and miccoli as our support options.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Gilardino is great from the games that I have seen... but to start in the Azzurri?? The whole point of tournaments like that is experience. Haven't we learned anything from Wc 2002 ? Or are we bringing the next Doni again??? The fact a player scored a lot for one season doesn't say anything about his ability in key moments.... Gilardino should grow up first , then maybe one day, he'll be given credit....

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Pinzi is good, but better left for the U21 for now.

Mauri is a player I have liked when I have seen him, not sure if he is really NT quality, but maybe for future years he may be useful. Gilardino I would also leave to u21 for now even though he is a great forward. Im thinking that Vieri and Inzaghi could be enough, as if needs be, Totti and Cassano can play together upfront on their own as the show for Roma. Add Del Piero and either Miccoli or Di Natale to that, it would make 5 or 6 strikers.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
gba said:
Gilardino is great from the games that I have seen... but to start in the Azzurri?? The whole point of tournaments like that is experience. Haven't we learned anything from Wc 2002 ? Or are we bringing the next Doni again??? The fact a player scored a lot for one season doesn't say anything about his ability in key moments.... Gilardino should grow up first , then maybe one day, he'll be given credit....
its how much in form they are, not the experience

I remember Doni that year, he had a great season up until february then slowed down a bit and went off form, but we still took him.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
experience is one thing but being in form or being good enough is another. Gilardino right now is playing good football when compared to thers.

we have vieri and inzaghi as strikers, thats all we know who are good enough and experienced. Di Vaio isnt that experinced, and is he that good? Corradi is the same. Besides Del Vecchio, whicj striker has experience at a major tournament? and for the love of god, Del Vecchio couldnt possibly make the squad.

Gilardino as third back up is a good idea to me. sometimes the young play their best when the pressue is on to prove their worth.

unless Montella can get fit and inform again...then he would be a good option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts