Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trap: Totti reminds me of Pele Wednesday 10 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giovanni Trapattoni has compared Francesco Totti to legendary figure Pele, but wouldn¡¯t comment on Alex Del Piero¡¯s latest setback.

¡°If I was still playing football today,¡± said the former Azzurri defender, ¡°then I would have real problems marking Totti, a bit like I struggled to control Pele in the past. He has those same characteristics.¡±

Trap has been piling praise on the Roma captain for several years now and many believe this is his best season yet with a record 15 Serie A goals already under his belt.

Totti will be a pivotal figure in Italy¡¯s Euro 2004 campaign, especially now that Alessandro Del Piero looks unlikely to feature.

The Juventus man suffered a calf strain during yesterday¡¯s Champions¡¯ League defeat to Deportivo and could be out for anything up to two months ¨C leaving a race against time to recover for the June tournament.

¡°It¡¯s best to bring along fewer players, but making sure they are the real deal,¡± commented Trapattoni.

¡°I have heard it said that it¡¯s the taking part that counts, but I am one of those men who want to win. I can assure you that Italy will try to lift this trophy.¡±

Del Piero will almost certainly miss the next two international friendlies, so we should see Antonio Cassano, Totti and Christian Vieri used in a trident attack.

channel4

·
Registered
74 Posts
Althought i really love totti so but...

PELE it's a legend i don't think there's no one till now can take pele's place

i hope in the future we can see totti better than pele (why not)

but till now there's just one pele and one maradona

even so i can't compare between these two

·
Registered
833 Posts
Im 17 so its not like Im any pelé expert. But from what I saw and heard about Pelé their playing style is really similar

Pelé's most famous characteristic was his game vision, so as Totti's. And he was also a very technique player but not too skillfull that did his plays in simple and effective ways without more delays. And also a great first toucher....

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
No guys, Pele was skillfull as hell, a man that was capable of two "caños" in a row or using the other guys leg to make an autopass (like Sivori uses to do also) is far more technicall than Totti, by the way I use to hate Totti (not his game something about his personality no rational reason just happens, only he used to seemed so sellfish or always arranging his hair and that uses to break my nerves) .Now he is playing really good and he has a lot of goal...nevertheless Roby Baggio still being my idol:D . I agree that he game is simply, the same as saying really ****ing difficult to do, he is with great confidence, the same I notice always in Henry, Ronaldo, Zidane and Roberto Carlos, they are having fun and is shown, when a player reachs that status is in another league. I always remember Cannigia and Maradona laughing in the field, just pure football they feel the best, they are the best.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Totti reminds me of Pele?

O Rei Pele!!!

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
:rolleyes: yes Pelé, I dont know if we're talking about the same person, Im talking about that one that used to steal money from UNICEF...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Boomer said:
Pelé's most famous characteristic was his game vision, so as Totti's. And he was also a very technique player but not too skillfull that did his plays in simple and effective ways without more delays. And also a great first toucher....
this post really proves that
you are only 17 and don't know sh**i*t about pele. word of wisdom: don't say anything. you would look better that way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't compare Pele to Totti. Very different kind of players, in different way. With all respect to Pele, I think he is overvalued. He did 12 goals in WCs, he was popular in his home country but still he was just poking goals in as he was very right timing striker. But, football was very different game in 50's or 60's. The game was open-minded and goals were scored big amounts. So I don't raise Pele for the greatest player ever, not at all. I think the greatness of the player can be found how creative and imaginative he is, ofcourse including smartness and skills. So I think the best player ever is Maradona, and he could be compared to Totti as they have very similar placement in field. I even think that Totti could be better than Diego because Totti is a bit more versatile. But sadly Franco has complicaded his career himself to become the greatest. He has still a couple of years left in career top, so no doubt he could put himself into the group of all-time leaders, but only if his head is strong enough.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Its too difficult to compare players of one generation to another.Everything about football has changed since 60s.Nowadays,football is more physical and tactics far more superior.Even the ball itself is lighter.The fitness levels of players today is greater than the average player of yesterday.Its not just the salaries that have changed.So too has every aspect of the game as clubs compete to become succesful.The clubs ,themselves,are pressurised into winning and every aspect of beating your opponent is tolerated.As for Pele,he was the best player of his time.Though,he was helped by having the best players in their positions in the same team.Take the 1970s W.C. winning team.They had Jair,Jairzinho,Garrincha,Carlos Alberto and off course Pele.No wonder they could show boat.Everyone of the Brazilians knew how to play football better than any European except one or two.So Pele was a great,though he was in good company.

·
Administrator
52,420 Posts
Garrincha wasnt on the 70's team.I dont see why are disscussing this,especially wen it comes from Trap,who is a bigger Totti fan then Totti's mother;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
So when did Garrincha play,in the 90s!!!!
Garrincha played World Cups 58, 62 and 66. ;) :star:

And I agree with you, being compared to Pele is an honor in itself for Totti. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts