Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trap: My Italy were unlucky Tuesday 4 January, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni insists he has no regrets about the Azzurri’s disastrous Euro 2004 campaign.

Trap was heavily criticised after his side failed to qualify from their group, but he insists his squad were simply unfortunate.

"We had everything that was needed to do well in Portugal as we had at the World Cup. My conscience is clear as it was after Japan and Korea," he told ‘Il Giornale’.

"The fact is that we were without Francesco Totti (who was suspended for spitting) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic will never score a goal like that again. We had potential but we were unlucky."

The veteran tactician was already put on trial before the tournament after ignoring Alberto Gilardino, Pippo Inzaghi and Roberto Baggio

"I have no regrets about not including Gilardino because it would have been madness to leave out Christian Vieri," he added.

"Time has shown that I was right to omit Inzaghi because of his fitness problems. Baggio? I would have had to revolutionise the team to accommodate him."

One of the few positive notes for the Azzurri during the tournament was the explosion of Roma youngster Antonio Cassano.

"He has class, talent and the touches of a champion. If he joins up again with Fabio Capello at Juventus then he will mature as a man and a player," noted Trap.

The now Benfica boss was shown the door by the Italian Football Federation in July as Marcello Lippi stepped in.

"He’s the right man for the job and I’m sure that he will lead Italy to the 2006 World Cup in Germany," Trap noted.

"He’s revolutionised the squad but I would have done exactly the same too."

channel4

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Trap your an idiot. Gilraldino in for that stupid Lazio guy who I forgot his name. Totti is not the only player in your team who can make a pass. Del Piero wasen't even close to any form. Fiore had an amazing season that you couldn't ignore. Did you always have to play the Christmas tree? Once Totti was suspended could you not change formation? Your an idiot Trapattoni for relying on players who couldn't see that the players you were relying on weren't doing the job. Oh that guy from Lazio is Corrardi, I forgot for a moment. You were unlucky but you called it upon yourself and you could have fixed a lot of the problems.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
His only mistake was not calling Gilardino, but admittedly, watching Gilardino in the olympics, he was a tired player and maybe even he would not have influenced the tournament so much.

The team of the first match was wrong and everyone bar a few was saying that Zanetti and perrotta were not good enough etc. and that Del Piero sucked and the team had no balance.

His team of the 2nd and 3rd matches were very good and we should have beaten Sweden. We wer unlucky to go out on 5 pts at the end of the day. We got more pts than the veentual winners!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Excuses, excuses....
In Italy only 3 things are always blamed:
a)bad luck
b)referees or other officials
c)coach
but never the players....

Why doesn't he siply blame Totti for his abysmal performance against Denmark and the spitting incident?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Because he has no other reason to blame it on. Face it the lads didnt play well and if you don't play well you deserve to be knocked out.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bayman, i think the players got their fair share of the blame in 2004!

Trap got more of the blame because at the end of the day, going from a virtual 4-3-3 to a 4-5-1 in a match we were dominating and eventually only drawing has to be Traps mistake, no?

Against Denmark it was also his fault for fielding a very average team without players like Cassano, Gattuso and Pirlo. Andrea Pirlo and Gattuso may not be the real deal for Italy, but they are a level above Perrotta and Zanetti!

So the players have part of the blame, but also Trap and also we were unlucky, no? 5 pts and we didnt go through due to a last minute blunder of Sorensen (fix?) to me is bad luck, im not sure what it is to you!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Interista said:
Because he has no other reason to blame it on. Face it the lads didnt play well and if you don't play well you deserve to be knocked out.
We had the most shots in the first group stage out of every single team in the comp, believe it or not!

Italy are not a team to shoot from 30 yards every 5 seconds so we obviously created some chances, if we had the Vieri of 2 years ago, Im sure we would have went through but many things didnt work out for us! Its a mixture of bad luck and possibly not being good enough, but for sure we were not that bad! On another day we could have beat Sweden 3-0 with the chances created!

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I am sure we did Deano, but in the end we never converted them. We caused our own downfall, that and Trap was useless.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I blame Trap more for his decisions in the Sweden and Denmark game than the players who did not do so badly! After all, they only did what they could, apart from Totti who maybe caused part of our downfall. I think a healthy and concentrated Totti would have played well against Sweden because the rest of our team did.

·
Registered
46,396 Posts
I wonder whether Trap will try to justify hismself till the end of his life. He was wrong, he wasted everything with his stupid substitutions.
Since Trap loves the proverbs and he appeals to luck here is a proverb for him: "the luck helps the brave". He was a terrible cacasotto and this is the reason why the luck did not help him.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Agreed!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Crapattono rot in hell. :groan: :scream: :thmbdown: He says his team was unlucky. Go find some other sucker. :ass:

It was all about mentality which the present Crapattoni has an abudance of negative actions. Very well illustrated by Deano and Toni in the posts above. I would have liked to add more but I really don't want to think about Italy NT under Crapattoni. It gives me the shivers. Its history and a very bitter one those four years.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Trapattoni was an idiot to:

1. Declare to the world that his team will be based around Francesco Totti

2. Perpetually relying on the odd goal to seal matches

3. Bring mediocre players to the Championships (Corradi)

in that order.

The only reason why we went home early with 5 points was because of the saving grace of some players who played to their potential, namely Zambrotta, Cassano and Cannavaro/Nesta. Could anyone even remember how painful it was to watch them play against Denmark? It's almost embarassing to recall- I thought I was watching Castel di Sangro.

I don't really blame him for not bringing Gilardino- I agree with Deano on that one. I could even forgive him for leaving out Baggio.. but to commit mistake number 1 is a cardinal sin. That's just plain sillyness.. I don't ever remember anyone doing that in modern football before a major competition.

I distinctly remember reading the Euro2004 special on World Soccer just before the tournament started, and every one of the 16 coaches were interviewed with similiar questions, one of which was "Who is the most important player for you in these Championships?" Out of 16 coaches, 12 of them answered the same "There are no stars in my team/everyone is just as important/we base our play on teamwork, commitment and co-operation", 3 of them listed out a couple of key playes in their own squads, but only one silly man bluntly answered "Undoubtedly Francesco Totti. He is the main player in this team.. the entire country casts our hopes on him.. he has matured as a player.. he will rise to the occasion.. yada, yada". If this isn't just the stupidest way to prepare for a tournament by a coach ever, I will never know which is.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think Gilardino is the only player who could have been added to the squad, and maybe Miccoli instead of Di Vaio (who was not used)

Trap's squad selection was not so poor, but his substitutions was the downfall. Like I said though, Italy as a team were unlucky, whether Trap was unlucky is a different thing because he should have had some more nerve and kept certain players out for longer!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Unlucky the biggest laugh I've had in a while,what a fool try Pathetic Trap absolutely deplorable exeter would've beaten Italy. :howler: :rollani:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes Trap was a fool, but they were eliminated primarily because the players were not hungry or good enough. No more excuses.

Going all the way is like being in war, no different

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yes there is a lot of fault to the players but Trap's job was to make the team play. I am not saying that Trap is solely to blame but really he deserves a lot of it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts