Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni has dropped a massive hint that Antonio Cassano will be part of his Euro 2004 squad.

"He is convincing me of his abilities," the Azzurri tactician told the Italian newspaper ‘Il Messaggero’ on Friday.

"I’m not too concerned about whether he has his head screwed on the right way. I’m just interested in his positioning on the field."

The Roma youngster has undoubted ability as his season so far with the Giallorossi clearly illustrates.

However, he has the critics split over whether he has the maturity to cope with the occasion given his short fuse.

"He’s passed the exam in my eyes," added Trap. "He’s been playing in an attacking wide position for months now. He is ready to do that.

"There is also the bonus that he speaks the same footballing language as Francesco Totti. I need a player like him in that position."

Cassano made his debut late last year, against Poland where he scored in the 3-1 loss, in a 4-2-3-1 formation. A system that aided Italy’s safe passage to Euro 2004.

"We now have a few more solutions thanks to that system of play," continued the former Juventus maestro.

"It gives us a tactical variation. We’re more attack minded and that obviously helps to increase the entertainment level."

Trapattoni, who is set to quit after the European Championships, also spoke about his future.

"I’m been happy at all the clubs that I have Coached," he said. "But I was really happy at Bayern Munich.

"I was with three men who came through my football era: Rummenigge, Beckenbauer and Hoeness. Anyway, I don’t know where I will go next."

channel 4

This is the best news i have heard in a while. He better be picked for EURO!!

I agree EXACTLY with Trap about Cassano's attitude. He can do what he likes off the field - but on the field is all I care about. Im glad he thinks this way.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Cause and effect.

If Cassano is throwing tandrums off the field, chances are that will affect the team on the field.

Trap should not make the mistake of picking Cassano and disregarding the potential of him disrupting the team with bad behaviour. He should make it clear to Cassano, that to play for the Azzurri is an honor and a privilege, and because he is representing his country he should be on his best behaviour. Anything less will not be acceptable.

I mean, once one starts appeasing prima donnas, it's the beginning of the end. I'm not saying Cassano should not be chosen nor even that he's a prima donna, but i find it irresponsible for a NT coach (if indeed he did) to say "i'm not too concerned whether the player has his head screwed on the right way". He should be concerned, and he should emphasis that he won't tolerate players that cause trouble.

The only way to deal with temperamental people is to be soft-spoken but firm.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
We all know that Trap's hopeless anyway. On top of that, he's always playing favorites. First it was Inzaghi, who was told that Trap couldn't conceive of the NT without him, then it was Totti, who was told by Trap that he was the linchpin of the team and should become captain (and unfortunately Totti believed him). Now it'll be Cassano. :rolleyes:

Instead of going nuts for the latest messiah, Trap should be concentrating on the whole team, getting it working as a unit. If Italy win something in 2004, it will be in spite of Trap, not because of him.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Giallorosso_01 said:

Giovanni Trapattoni:

"I’m not too concerned about whether he has his head screwed on the right way. I’m just interested in his positioning on the field."

What?! Is he saying he can behave in any manner he wishes, poorly or otherwise, and he'll still be chosen?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I cant believe people are against this

he is one of the most inform forwards of Serie A and definitely deserves to go!

Trap only said he doesnt care how he acts, because he knows Cassano wont act with stupidity anyway!

If Cassano is given this chance he will just be thankful and happy to Trap!!!

Plus he is our best second striker at the moment!!!

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
OmiGod! Trapp is gonna call Cassano to the National Team! The kid is gonna ruin all of Italian calcio with his attitude!
Gimme a break, Chicken Littles. Lippi is benching Del Piero; maybe Trapp caught on. I'd rather have a tattoed maniac that can supply balls, dribble out of this world and score goals on the pitch than an overrated and fat sad puppy dog who acts like a gentleman.
:star:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like Cassano's attitude. You can tell he wants to win and we need him in the NT.

We had a poll with Cassano and Miccoli...well right now both should go and if anyone stays home it is Del Piero.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
uh-oh, primo just knocked del piero!

incidentally, cassano will be our second forward in the euro all star team polls. i might throw del piero on the left wing.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Why can't Romanisti put their club colours to one side for just a moment? Who here has said Cassano should not be picked for the Azzurri? Or that he shoudn't be in the starting line-up? No one.

This is not about Cassano, it's about Trap. We are criticising his attitude towards Cassano. You can't have a laisser faire (any francophone feel free to correct me) mentality with players when you're a NT boss. Naturally you give a bit more leeway to your crucial players, but you can't turn a blind eye to their indiscretions and that is what we condemn, this attitude that whether a player has the right mindset or not is unimportant. Of course it is important.

And FYI, DP has scored as many goals as Cassano in Serie A. Miccoli has scored more.

Ciao.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
This reminds me of an episode:

World Cup Qualifier 2003, Brazil was struggling bad. Last game was at home against Uruguay. Parreira was not selecting Romario because of his manners, until this last game.
Romario scored two goals, Brazil qualified and Romario was the best player of the WC 2004. Good story, huh? :D

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
end3r7 said:
This reminds me of an episode:

World Cup Qualifier 2003, Brazil was struggling bad. Last game was at home against Uruguay. Parreira was not selecting Romario because of his manners, until this last game.
Romario scored two goals, Brazil qualified and Romario was the best player of the WC 2004. Good story, huh? :D
Erm, Romario in the WCQs of 2003 and WC of 2004?

:confused:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Nero said:
Erm, Romario in the WCQs of 2003 and WC of 2004?

:confused:
Romario played the last game in the WCQs of 2003 against Uruguay, and then was the best player of WC of 2004. What was so confusing? :confused:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
i think you should lay off of traps. when he does something right we should applaud him for it. instead were criticizing every move he makes. dp has had numerous chances and cassano is more talented than miccoli and just offers more. add that to the fact that he and totti play together and have a very good understanding. romas offence this season is mostly due to those 2.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
All right, perhaps i'm missing something.

By WC you mean World Cup, correct? And by 2004, you mean the the year 2004 in the Gregorian calender, right? And by Romario, you mean the ex Brazilian striker, no?

We've just enter the year 2004, and there is no World Cup this year. And i won't delve into how Romario could have been the star of a nonexistant tournament...

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
I figured that out quite easily, as Romario has been retired for years and the WC in 2004 was a no-brainer. But i thought perhaps you were referring to Ronaldo in the WCQs of 2003 against Uruguay.

Anyhoo, i just thought it odd you hadn't noticed the error by your second post. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts