• Stephen Warnock

Votes: 11 73.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traore v. Warnock?

Who will be our first choice LB for the rest of the season if they're both fit?

It would have seemed absurd at the beginning of the season to think of ever saying this but they both are pretty good LBs, and Rafa faces an interesting choice.

Both are fast and have pretty good positional awareness.

Traores advantage is he has those crazy long legs to make the spectacular tackles, and I believe that Warnock has better anticipation and is a bit more consistent in his decision-making.

What do you lads think?

ps-could a mod make a poll for this, I don't see an option to add a poll.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Warnock is better, more consitent in the tackle and lass prone to make a mistake.

This said it would be unfair to drop Traore after some impressive form this year, I wouldn't be against moving Traore into center back replacing Pelle and givin us abit of added pace- although with Traores track record he is likely to make a costly mistake so leaving him at left back, where his miatkes aren't as magnified, would probably be best.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I would say Warnock, I get less nervous when he has the ball, with Traore I always feel he is going to do something bad. but he has improve much since Benitez arrive. but I still have nightmares from his time with Hooflier.

so Warnock it is

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Yeah i'd say Warnock, Traore has the ability to be the best IMO.One of the fastest players round, strong, great tackler and contrary to many people i think his passing is good.The things he sadly lacks in is decision making, defensive heading and sometimes composure.Warnock is good, better than solid like say Stephen Wright i think he has a oppurtunity to make left back his own.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
both :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I think both have been superb for the most part and although I think Warnock is the more gifted, Traore is probably slightly better for defensive play. However if we're on the attack Warnock hooks up brilliantly with Riise. I voted Warnock but by a narrow margin.

Has anyone noticed how Riise has pretty much turned into a left sided midfielder? When's the last time he played left back? Must have been against Newcastle way back in December. Didn't he start playing in the midfield after Kewell's injury and it was cemented when he scored those goals against West Brom.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Shaggy Alonso said:
I think both have been superb for the most part and although I think Warnock is the more gifted, Traore is probably slightly better for defensive play. However if we're on the attack Warnock hooks up brilliantly with Riise. I voted Warnock but by a narrow margin.

Has anyone noticed how Riise has pretty much turned into a left sided midfielder? When's the last time he played left back? Must have been against Newcastle way back in December. Didn't he start playing in the midfield after Kewell's injury and it was cemented when he scored those goals against West Brom.
against everton when we lost warnock after 23 minutes. but i see where you're coming from.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Interesting thing to point out, when Houllier bought Riise over he was playing in LM for Monaco, going back to LB when then LB got injured and the formation needed a change for a certain opponent. It was this versatility that impressed HOullier.

Personally, I feel we are fortunate to have such a solid lef side for the team. It might not be comparable to the likes of Barca's left side or Milan's left side, but anyone who has been following the team all this while knows how valuable it is to have Warnock, Traore, Riise & Kewell on the left. Imagine all fit and playing at their level best consistently, any combination will tear down the left wing well. Not to mention the fact that all of them are versatile and can play in a few positions.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed with O-NRG and hope that Kewell recovers his fitness and form.

Cheers. NYWA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts