Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't good enough, admits Jokanovic

Wednesday 10th July 2002

Yugoslavia midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted that his performances for Chelsea last season were often poor, and that the barracking he received from fans was justified.

"I understand that sometimes I wasn't good enough for the supporters," he said.

The 33-year-old, though, insists that he always gave his all, even when things were going against him.

"I know that in some games the supporters weren't very happy with me, but every time I pulled on the Chelsea shirt I tried to do well," he told the Evening Standard.

"That was all I could do and I know if I look myself in the mirror I can say I always tried my best.

"It's true I was a regular and played a lot of games last season, but I know I played well in some matches and not so well in others. I was too inconsistent. The fans must know I tried to play well every time I played."

Jokanovic was coach Claudio Ranieri's first signing, but he was released by Chelsea when his contract expired on June 30.

"My contract finished and now I'm looking for another club," he said. "I'd have been very happy if I had stayed at Chelsea, but I am 33 and the club is looking for younger players.

"I am not disappointed at how things have worked out. I had a happy two years at Chelsea and now I'm looking for something different."

The Yugoslav has been linked with a move to Spanish side Rayo Vallecano.

--------------------------------------------

hey! dejo ! read this ! it is jokanovic admitting its decline ! so don't you?

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
The guy admits he sucked in the past couple years, so how come Dejo couldn't see it and take him off the NT :mad:

It's unbelievable...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Petkovic said:
The guy admits he sucked in the past couple years, so how come Dejo couldn't see it and take him off the NT :mad:

It's unbelievable...:rolleyes:
that's because "il genio" applies to his playing and NOT his coaching abilities;)

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I think he received a lot of unjust criticsm from chelsea fans just like savo did, kovacevic did, stefanovic did, the only yugoslav not to criticised was Sasa Curcic when he was at Bolton but he was pretty amazing scoring some great goals against Arsenal and numerous other teams. He then went to Villa and gregory wrecked his career by playing players like Tommy Johnson and Ian taylor. I think its just English people don't like us but in many ways the feeling's mutual. ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jokanovic, in up until EURO 2000 was one of the key players on the national team. He was a very, very solid defensive midfielder on our team. It's hard to imagine that we could have found a better fit for our team than Jokan. I remember him at Tenerife where he was the leader in 97 and led them to the Uefa Cup semifinals, he was AMAZING. Unfortunately players do get old, and I think it's time for him to retire the blue jersey for the second time.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no doubt jokanovic was a great player, one of the best defensive midfielder in 90's : he was big, strong and tough. a mountain.
but now he is old and it is time to think about our youth... they re the future. not jokanovic. he belongs to the past now. though it is a brilliant past...

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
I agree with both thepretender's and Il Genio's posts, well said, both of you :)

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Yet another one of our players who werent able to show internationally his true talents like the generation which i hate to see happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts