Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42184 Posts

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok we have been linked with so many players from defenders to attackers to even coaches. Here is the big list of all major players we have been linked to:

Nesta, Vieira, Henry, Tomasson, Viduka, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Owen, Shevchenko, Coliccini, Crespo, Riise, Rivaldo:yuck:, Luque, Joaquin, Dyer, Iluiano, Hasselbaink, Mendieta, Beckham:yuck:, Ronaldo, Hyypia, Candela, Cannavaro, Contra, Samuel, Vieri, and last but not least Kezman.

So from this big list, most likely one of them will be wearing the Real Madrid jersey next season because Perez will make one big signing again this summer, probably a record transfer fee paid again. From all those who do you guys think will fit the most into our system and plans. IMO, that i always stick too, NESTA! We need him so badly as Hierro doznt get any better and Pavon has dropped since his unbelievable start! even if he doz get back to his form, our youngster needs a WC defender alongside him! and the best option is Nesta, if we cant get him, i would go with Cannavaro or Hyypia.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: "shortlist" Of Possible Summer Transfer

Nesta - that would be great!
Vieira - the most probable choice, would mean that Helguera plays in defence
Viduka - Real was interested last year, but then Del Bosque changed his mind about him
Ferdinand - not very likely
Owen - he is Pérez "secret" dream, but....
Shevchenko - ahh, world class, not so sure if he`ll fit in the team though
Coloccini - it is possible, Alaves could buy him, and then let him go to Real
Crespo - denied by Valdano
Riise:yuck:
Rivaldo:yuck:
Luque - center of a possible bid of war between Real and Barca?
Joaquin - The club is very interested, but the buy-out clause his very high
Dyer - denied by Newcastle and Valdano
Iluiano - didn`t hear about that one, but Montero was a target. Mendieta - no go, a clause in his contract denie him a transfer to Real Madrid
Beckham:yuck:
Ronaldo - he is loved by the nerazzuri fans and Moratti, he will not leave
Contra - possible, he doesn`t like the italian lifestyle
Samuel - a classy defender, think he stays in Rome though Kezman - heard that he want to go to Italy
Henry, Tomasson, Gerrard, Hasselbaink, Hyypiä, Candela, Cannavaro & Vieri - where did you hear that????

You forgot Kevin Hofland, PSV

My favorites:
1) Nesta, would fit perfectly, the best defender out there
2) Coloccini, great defender, only 19 years old
3) Hofland, a mixture of De Boer and Stam
-----------------------------------------------------
4) Vieira
5) Luque

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Re: "shortlist" Of Possible Summer Transfer

I'll comment straight from your list though I think there're many others too.

Daopica said:
...Nesta, Vieira, Henry, Tomasson, Viduka, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Owen, Shevchenko, Coliccini, Crespo, Riise, Rivaldo:yuck:, Luque, Joaquin, Dyer, Iluiano, Hasselbaink, Mendieta, Beckham:yuck:, Ronaldo, Hyypia, Candela, Cannavaro, Contra, Samuel, Vieri, and last but not least Kezman...
Nesta - Would be nice though I think Pavon is going his way.
Cannavaro - With Pavon moulding into Nesta's style, he would be cheaper and good compliment to him.
Ferdinand - Unlikely unless Leeds fail big time this season
Coliccini - I think this guy is a one season wonder. I could be wrong but, anybody with me on this?
Candela - My perfect choice to replace Salgado. Though he plays left now, I think he' as good on the other side.
Dyer - Another good candidate on the right but Valdano denied interest. :depress:
Contra - Another good choice for right back. We could get rid of Geremi.
Riise - Unlikely as I prefer giving Bravo chances.
Iluiano - por favor!
Hyypia - Getting old. Why would we want Houllier's unwanted for the next few seasons?
Samuel - I dun think so.
Kezman - Haven't seen this guy much.. 50-50.
Vieira - Most likely to come. Enough said about this player in many other threads.
Mendieta - Still can't see how our midfield can fit him in. Dun want us to turn into Lazio.
Gerrard - Same mould as Mendieta. See above.
Beckham - Possible and could rotate with Figo if Macca ever leaves.
Tomasson - Give him to Barcelona. We've got Zizou and many others!
Rivaldo - Pass him to Milan or other clubs as well!
Viduka - Too inconsistent for us.
Ronaldo - Too injury prone as his biggest risk.
Henry - Seriously thinking about him. Pacy, better finishes than Raul most of the time and most importantly not too individualistic.
Owen - Same as Henry but Liverpool unlikely to let him go after Fowler.
Shevchenko - If we can't get Henry, this is the guy! And his penalty is more proven than Raul! :D
Luque - Get him if we wanna go local..
Crespo - Fantastic but now I think we dun need indivdualistic type of striker like him.
Vieri - Same as Crespo.
Hasselbaink - Same as above two.
Joaquin - See Kezman.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
How about Hamann???

Thursday, February 7, 2002
Real target Hamann in £10m raid
By John Edwards

Liverpool are bracing themselves for a £10million bid from Real Madrid for influential midfielder Dietmar Hamann.

Real's search for a commanding presence behind strikers Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane has been extended to Merseyside after stern resistance from Arsenal over a proposed move for Patrick Vieira.

In a worrying development for Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier and assistant Phil Thompson, Real's chief scout Raymond Martinez has already made inroads by coming up with a contact number for Hamann's agent Heinz Gruler and details of an apparent escape clause in the Germany international's Anfield agreement.

But the 28-year- old £8m signing from Newcastle said: 'There is no reason to leave Liverpool at the moment. I am playing really well, and we are challenging for the title.'

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cannot see any of the Liverpool players leaving to be honest. They have all settled in well and have become a good team who all believe in the manager and the club. Hamann would be ideal for you guys tho as he is absolutely fantastic at breaking down oppostion attacks, he also is a very good distributer of the ball and has great technique, unfortunately for any other clubs he is not going anywhere.
Hyypia old! he has just turned 28(younger than Cannavaro), defenders are in there prime from 28 until about 33 these days.
Riise is a great attacking left back with a great shot. He has a good scoring record at Liverpool and he is still only 21

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Clifford,

Nesta and Pavon do not play the same roles, Nesta would take Hierro's more sweeper like role, thats how he plays in Lazio and the Italian NT. There wouldn't be an issue of them playing togther.

Carson,

Thats abseloute crap that Real is going for Hamman. Lets keep the rumors to a level of "even remotly possible", because this one is impossible! :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
WOW... £62m for SHEVCHENKO???

Shev sticking with Milan Friday 8 February, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While reports of a new £62m bid from Real Madrid emerge, Andriy Shevchenko has reiterated his desire to remain at the San Siro.

“I have not even thought of leaving Milan,” announced the striker in today’s press conference. “This is not the moment to discuss my future, it is the time to give 100% to try for that fourth Champions’ League spot.”

The Rossoneri are struggling in fifth position and in recent months the Ukrainian has been singled out for criticism. “I know the situation with the press now,” smiled Shevchenko. “Even if I score 20 goals per game and Milan lose, it will still all be my fault.”

In his third season with the club the former Serie A top scorer decided to push his teammates in the right direction. “Let us not always wallow on the negative aspects. We must be optimistic and look to the future in a positive manner.”

“Milan have many strong players,” assured the ex-Dynamo Kiev hitman, “and I am certain this moment shall pass. One match cannot turn it all around. We need consistency and to start stepping onto the field with joy rather than stress.”

Even the weather can affect the team according to Shevchenko. “Finally there is sun shining on the Milanello training ground. We need to have fun with football and enjoy ourselves a bit more.”

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Carson,

Everyday a new rumor will appear about Madrid buying someone, it doesn't merit opening a new topic each time.

IMO again, Sheva won't leave Milan, and i am not sure he is the best player to fit our system. He is a magnificent player, like VierIa is, but thats not the basis players are bought on, this is not CM3, and i hope Valdano and Del B make that known to Perez.

Look at Alaves and Valencia in the table, a solid D alone will make you a challanger...why is that so hard to realize? :confused:

·
Registered
25,390 Posts
I would really like to see Contra in Real Madrid (which is, by the way, the best team of all times ;) ).

Verona's general director said that Real Madrid was studying Mutu.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think Contra could be the best offensive right back in the world now, along with Cafu.

Salgado was horrible for the past year and a half, but in the past 2-3 months, he started to find his form back and has been a consistent performer. We can do better though...

question remains if we need another player who is better offensivly then defensivly....personally, i would rather see Manuel Pablo, but i doubt that could ever happen.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: WOW... £62m for SHEVCHENKO???

Carson35 said:
Shev sticking with Milan Friday 8 February, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While reports of a new £62m bid from Real Madrid emerge, Andriy Shevchenko has reiterated his desire to remain at the San Siro.

“I have not even thought of leaving Milan,” announced the striker in today’s press conference. “This is not the moment to discuss my future, it is the time to give 100% to try for that fourth Champions’ League spot.”
:relieved: At least someone to show Perez the :ass:. Money can't buy everything, not loyalty. Shevchenko:star: knows that there's still a lot to achieve at Milan, but he also knows that the move to Madrid would increase his income. He made the right decision.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Re: Re: WOW... £62m for SHEVCHENKO???

bailemos said:

:relieved: At least someone to show Perez the :ass:. Money can't buy everything, not loyalty. Shevchenko:star: knows that there's still a lot to achieve at Milan, but he also knows that the move to Madrid would increase his income. He made the right decision.
There was never a bid to begin with from Real Madrid, so it doesn't prove anything really.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Speaking future wise, Luque, Joaquin and Dyer are the best possible choices. They all are starlets for there teams and youth teams. I think Pavon is getting better every game so Nesta might not be necassary.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: Re: Re: WOW... £62m for SHEVCHENKO???

Vampire Lestat said:

There was never a bid to begin with from Real Madrid, so it doesn't prove anything really.
Yes, but if Shevchenko would have put a bait for Perez?;) Said that he'd like to play for Real?
It usually works:D
But istead, he said that he won't be leaving.

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
One of Nesta and Crespo is probably leaving Lazio after they both opened their mouths and said that they'll leave if things don't improve at Lazio and bla bla..

And obviously Juve and RM are the front runners to get them and in Nesta case RM would be the favourite since Cragnotti wouldn't want to sell him to Juve( who are willing to offer Iuliano+Zambrotta+Carini and maybe cash aswell ) .

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Perez usually makesone big signing in the summer and then closes his cheque book.However,if he was a bit more intelligent then perhaps he could go after two or three excellent players rather than dishing out $70million on one single player.Brining in young,upcoming players will infact prove beneficial for the long term future of the club.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Instead of commenting on all these players,I think I'll just outline what would be my transfer plan.At this stage of the season.;)Things may change later.

First,I'd look at the positions we need to improve in the starting lineup.Obviously,the defence is the glaring area here.Not just central defence,but IMO atleast,the right full back position as well.However,obviously,we'll have to prioritize.And obviously,the central defensive position takes priority.To me,we need a world class player here.Not a bits and pieces player.We need a guy who can control the defence.Now,obviously,getting this sort of player does not guarantee a better defensive record,but it gives us a better chance.;) So I dont agree with people who say we shouldn't go for it.

The candidates for me are:

Nesta-Obviously the number one choice:star:.Not purely down to defensive ability,since then,Samuel IMO would be just as great,but because he is probably the most marketable defender out there:greedy:.And probably the biggest reason of all is that he really does seem gettable to me.There are too many noises coming out of Rome which indicate this deal is a real possibility.

Samuel-Personally,I'd like him to be the one.Super player.Just as good as Nesta,IMO.And he'd find it easier to adapt,since Argies adapt to Spain pretty well.The fact that he knows the language also means he'll take less time in adapting himself as the leader of the defence.But Roma have a good thing going,and I think it would be VERY difficult to prise him away.To be honest,this would be a bigger shock to me than the Zidane transfer.

Hyypia-He is world class.Maybe ageing,but he still has 5 good years left in him.So age should not be a problem.But Liverpool's policy of holding on to their top players is a problem.

Coloccini-What a cracking buy he'd be.:)I have no doubt he'll be recognised as one of the 3 best defenders in the world barring sth extraordinary.
And he has got the potential to be a leader as well.But the problem is if we buy him,in a few years,or maybe even next season,we'll have a very young central defence(Pavon-Coloccini).Unless ofcourse Pavon fades away and we replace him with an experienced player.

Cannavaro-he seems like he wants to stay in Italy really bad.He is ofcourse a brilliant defender,probably the best man-to-man marker in the game today.SO no problems there.But I just have a feeling that if he is up for sale,many Italian clubs are gonna go after him,and he'll choose to stay in Italy.

I dont really have any other defenders I would want ,but ofcourse there are some who would satisfy me,like Ferdinand,Iuliano,etc.

Now,Perez seems to be wanting to take another way out of this.His pursuit of Vieira indicates to me that he figures we can solve our defensive problems by making the midfield as tight as possible behind Zidane and Figo.So just put the destructive defensive midfielder in the world alongside the best allround defensive midfielder in the world(Vieira and Helguera) or put two destructive DM's together in the center(Vieira and Makelele) and move Helguera to central defence.

To me,the first option is better,along with the purchase of a defender.That really would solve our defensive problems,IMO.Although nothing is guaranteed defensively for a team that plays such attacking,cavalier style football.Also,I think it would be grossly unfair on Makelele,seeing what a job he's done for us.I dont want Real to look bad in people's eyes,as we did after the Redondo incident.Of-course,some would say that the pursuit of success leaves no room for such feelings,and maybe they're right.

The second option would be a bad move probably,because even though Helguera can play as a sweeper behind two center halves,I dont think the defence is the place for him,especially when we're playing a flat back four.His consistency in midfield has been lacking this season,but I really feel we'd be losing a lot if we remove Helguera from midfield,where he was so great last season.Maybe the fact that he isn't required to go forward much this season and do more defensive work is affecting him.With a playmaker in front of him,it could be argued that Helguera isn't too comfortable in midfield.Because we all know what made him so special last season were his runs from deep,his intelligent movement going forward with or without the ball at his feet,and his ability to express his creative side in the process.That side of him has been pretty much absent this season.Under Del Bosque's instruction,probably.

So we solve the defensive problem by either buying a defender,or Vieira.Those are our two options.Personally,I'd go for the first one,i.e,buy a defender,like Nesta.Or maybe we could have both Nesta and Vieira.:D:greedy::strong:

Looking at the rest of the team,there appeare to be no other problems:).Atleast not in the first eleven.However,there are serious question marks IMO over the strength of the squad in some departments,none more so than in the forwards department.Raul and Morientes are a great pair to have as starters,but we need backup for those two.Guti is NOT a striker.His presence in the team as a striker almost calls for a different formation upfront,and I hate that.One of the keys to squad rotation is to have players in the reserves who can slot straight into the team without the team having to change it's style.The problem we face when we rotate the squad is that Guti is not similar to Raul,nor Morientes.Celades is not similar to Makelele.And Zidane and Figo are irreplaceable I admit in terms of class,but we should atleast look for players who can replace them in terms of style of play.Guti IMO should be given the job of being Zidane's sub.It will be better for him,and the team.

We also have to strengthen the squad in one other place,and that is the left back position.There is just too much pressure on Robbi Carlos.Taking care of one whole flank alone is tough enough in one game,but when you have to do it for one whole season,it's got to take it's toll on you at some point.

So after buying one of Nesta and Vieira,we are faced with this choice:
Improve some other areas in the starting lineup(like the rightfull back position) or go for some squad players.What i didnt like abt our transfer policy last season was that we bought just one player,Zidane.We ignored the need for some squad players.Maybe our budget didnt allow it.This season though,I think we may be able to afford some more players,in light of the fact that we probably won't be spending $70 M on one player,and that there are probably gonna be some sales this summer.For example,I see no point in having 3 leftwingers in your books when you don't even play with a left winger.:eekani:I'd like 2 of them to go_Ofcourse,if DB has some other formation in mind for next season which has a leftwinger in it,I'd sell one less.;)But unless he doesThe 2 I'd want to leave would be Savio and Munitis.Solari can fill in for Carlos sometimes,so I'd like him to stay,and Macca should be the replacement for Figo,so I'd keep him as well.

One of the reasons I dont want both Vieira and Nesta is that it would probably mean no more players coming in,and that'd be a waste,because both those purchases would basically contribute to solving the same problem,that is,the defence.I'd rather have a transfer policy that solves all our problems,and as the size of the squad is one of the problems,we should buy some squad players.

As far as making that choice goes,I personally would go for improving the squad.I am ready to give Salgado another season.So keeping that in mind,after buying a worldclass defender,I'd look for:

a)A backup striker
b)A backup leftwingback
c)A backup destructive defensive midfielder

a)Ideally,I'd love the backup striker to be young and Spanish.That would point to Luque,but his indefferent form this season has created some doubts in my mind.maybe Tote could be the answer?He had a great start but has been horrible in recent weeks.I had an eye on Forlan,but we've lost him.:mad:Montella would be great,but would he leave Italy to be a benchwarmer in Spain?or maybe Portillo even?:excited:

b)This one has to be from South America.There are many Brazilian leftwingbacks who play in a similar style to Carlos.I say we look for one and snap up a good one.Since carlos will play the overwhelming amount of time,don't expect guys like Candela,Riise to be happy with this role,so forget about them.

c)We do need such a player.Right now,our bacup DM's are similar to Helguera.Not one of them is the destroyer Makelele is,so when Makelele is missing,we basically play with two very similar DM's.I don't think we've won a single game this season when Makelele has been missing.maybe someone has a stat on that?Anyway,IMO,we need a destroyer,and I'd like one of Celades/Flavio to be sold.cambiasso is not the answer,since he is a Redondo type,so we probably have to into the market for this one.I remember Jurica Vranjes being linked with us a while back.He is known as the Croatian patrick Vieira ofcourse,and maybe he can be the guy we want.

So in summary,if I had my way,the players coming in and going out in the summer would be:

Out:Savio,Munitis,Flavio,Karanka.

In:Nesta/Samuel,a backup DM(Vranjes),a backup LWB,a backup striker(Kezman)

And being greedy,maybe we could sell Salgado and get Contra.That would be great.But not unless Salgado is sold.

Thanks for hanging around to read the whole thing;).:D:D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm beginning to NOT really understand what all these agitations are for?

We just have an acute, calculating and good buyer in our president. Whether or not a player puts out the so-called bait for Perez, he would try to get the player if he's a target. :eek:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
SPANIARD said:
Speaking future wise, Luque, Joaquin and Dyer are the best possible choices. They all are starlets for there teams and youth teams. I think Pavon is getting better every game so Nesta might not be necassary.
I think i'll get an ulcer for having to explain this every time! :frustrat:

Spaniard, If Nesta comes, it will be to PARTNER Pavon, not to replace him!!! Hierro will be 34 next year.

Why is this so hard to get? :confused:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Merengue,

Great post :star: one point, i think Raul Bravo can be developed as RC's replacement long term. He showed some good flashes, especially the Barca game.

RC is generally very fit and very consistent, so Raul Bravo would be the perfect back-up.

I personally don't have any doubts that a defender is our number one need, and i think if Perez gets that, he will address that issue.

1 - 20 of 42184 Posts