Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1126 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..

Well I thought it would be necessary to have one of these since we're approaching the end of the season and nearly every rumor possible is coming out.. I was gonna go for "Summer Signings Rumor thread" but I thought this would be better as it could go on even after the start of next season. :)

Of course.. it is usually preferred to paste an article with the news (if possible).. the idea of course is to discuss these rumors, their probability of coming true and maybe the impact on EPL clubs. :) Let's have some fun and get the ball rolling :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mendieta to Spurs??!!

Mendieta move to Spurs mooted
08:51, April 12, 2002
Gaizka Mendieta is set to leave Lazio this summer, and Tottenham may be preparing a bid for him.

The 28-year-old Spanish international is not the happiest of bunnies in Serie A, and is considering a move back to Spain or perhaps to the Premiership.

Spurs have more money in their coffers, after announcing a new kit and sponsorship deal, and are hoping to make some high profile signing to appease the fans.

Mendieta’s estimated value in the transfer market has halved, due to his poor form and disagreements with Lazio coach Alberto Zaccheroni.

That’s just as well really, as there’s no way Spurs could afford to fork out a similar amount to the £28.9m that Lazio paid Valencia, only last year.

Now Lazio will be pleased to recoup £15m for the talented midfielder, unless of course he turns on the style during the forthcoming World Cup…in which case, his value will inflate.

We asked FTT's Spanish correspondent Javi Rodriguez for his views on the subject: "Mendieta is a great player. He led Valencia to the Spanish Cup trophy and played in two Champions League finals.

"He will play in the World Cup this summer and, I'm sure, he'll do his talent justice, of that I have no doubt.

"He has everything: vision, character and a great shot.

"He hasn't played well enough in Italy, that's true. But this is because Spanish players never do well in Italy, the only exception being Luis Suarez for Inter in the 60's.

"Mendieta's at his peak in terms of age and after the Lazio experience he will chose his new destination carefully, I'm sure.

"Perhaps he'll sign for Spurs, but I don't think so. Here in Spain, most people believe Mendieta will play for Atletico Madrid next season.

"At least, I'm sure he's closer to a move to Vicente Calderon Stadium than he is to White Hart Lane. But anything is possible."

Recently Athletic Bilbao had a bid for Mendieta rejected, as they were unable to match Lazio's asking price.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arsenal looking for defenders

Arsenal are in the hunt for John Terry and Jonathan Woodgate.. I personally don't think either Chelsea or Leeds would let them go.. Frankly speaking.. I think Man U could do with those players more than Arsenal.. if Arsenal have a weakness in defence.. it's the right back position.. Dixon is expired while Luzhny is getting injured faster than Darren Anderton!! :)

articles are found at: fromtheterrace.co.uk :) Sorry but the server went nuts on me and I can't paste the rumor!! I could onl;y get the Woodgate article which I'll paste below.... :confused:

Other rumors are that Liverpool are in for Cisse of Auxerre.. well I'm one who'd love to see him arrive.. but he actually did say he wants to stay put till the end of next season.. Of course that would mean that Anelka won't be joining Liverpool..

Anelka... well this is a player who sadly has been dealt blow after blow from his agents (who are actually his brothers!!).. they are demanding 60,000 pounds per week for a move to Liverpool which is ridiculous!! Another rumor has surfaced that Fulham might be agreeing a swap deal with PSG.. Saha for Anelka.. Saha wants to go back to France while Anelka seems desperate to leave PSG and he's preferring the Premiership....
--------------------------------------------

Arsenal gunning for Woodgate
09:36, April 11, 2002
Jonathan Woodgate’s latest scrape could be good news for Arsenal, who hope to strengthen their central defence this summer.

The 22-year-old has suffered a broken jaw after finding himself embroiled in a violent incident in his home town Middlesbrough.

After the recent Sarfraz Najeib case, Woodgate was warned about his future behaviour by the club.

If Woodgate was merely an innocent victim, Leeds will no doubt stand by the troubled defender.
If not, he will be slapped on the transfer list…and the bidding will start at around the £15m mark. Arsenal are thought to be among the interested clubs.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Various Rumors

- Leeds interested in WBA's Neil Clement

- Watford want to sign Dino Baggio.. (I really don't think he'd want to trade Serie A for the Nationwide!!)

- Villa might buy two players from Fenerbahce in Turkey:
Turkish double delight for Villa
09:56, April 12, 2002
According to reports, Alpay is paving the way for two top stars in the Turkish game to join Aston Villa.

The names in question are Fenerbache keeper Rustu Recber and his midfield team-mate Samuel Johnson.

The pair are just the right side of 30 (ok, 28 to be exact!), and have plenty of international experience with Turkey and Ghana respectively.
Recber has also been linked with Newcastle, but thanks to Villa’s Turkish connection (i.e. Alpay) they are seemingly favourites to sign the talented shot stopper.

In some ways, it’s strange that Alpay should be reportedly involved in brokering a deal…after all, he’s been complaining about the club’s treatment of his ankle problem.

Alpay claims his injury would have been cured by now, had he been in his native country.

The Turkish defender is frustrated by the decision not to operate on the troublesome ankle; but perhaps by keeping him busy on matters off the field, Villa are hoping he’ll keep his mouth shut!
------

Actually I couldn't care less.. Villa need a real shake to the side.. as the golden oldies are simply too slow.. Merson, Staunton, Taylor and Stone are all way too slow for the pace of the game these days.. they really need to bring players who have that hunger for Success...

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Good job in keeping us informed Yasir.:)

Woodgate might have plenty of potential but there are very few clubs who would like to have him in their squad.He is a trouble-maker and controversies are never too far away from him.This might prove as a major distraction so I reckon none of the top clubs will be lining up for him.

Anelka is crazy to be asking for such a hefty fee,specially considering the position he is in right now.I have a funny feeling that he might end up in Arsenal though both henry and Anelka are pretty similar players.Just imagine the pace that the Gunners will possess up front then:eekani:

We'll see a lot of players moving about among the mid-table clubs though I cant imagine Mendieta coming to play at Spurs.He'll be picked up by some Spanish side,perhaps Barcelona.;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i LOVE this place... :howler::D

;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K-2 said:
Good job in keeping us informed Yasir.:)
Anytime :) Seriously, I felt it was something that would actually create lots of discussions between us... :)

K-2 said:

Woodgate might have plenty of potential but there are very few clubs who would like to have him in their squad.He is a trouble-maker and controversies are never too far away from him.This might prove as a major distraction so I reckon none of the top clubs will be lining up for him.
Well I don't think Woodgate is a trouble maker.. comparing him to Bowyer would seem like comparing a saint to a pimp!! I think he's Ok.. Yes he had his moment of madness which was then escalated by the media.. but then again.. Adams, Merson and Gazza have all had that too but were still able to do a lot for top clubs.. but in my opinion.. I don't think Leeds would sell him in the first place!!

K-2 said:

Anelka is crazy to be asking for such a hefty fee,specially considering the position he is in right now.I have a funny feeling that he might end up in Arsenal though both henry and Anelka are pretty similar players.Just imagine the pace that the Gunners will possess up front then:eekani:

We'll see a lot of players moving about among the mid-table clubs though I cant imagine Mendieta coming to play at Spurs.He'll be picked up by some Spanish side,perhaps Barcelona.;)
For Anelka.. I would certainly think that his brothers must have had a few drinks before approaching clubs.. and they are simply destroying his career!! which is so sad to see as he really has a lot to offer.. I don't think Arsenal would go for him.. as Wenger seems really pissed by what he did the last time around.. and officially declared that he won't approach him..

As for Mendieta.. call it wishful thinking by Spurs.. but they just might do it.. something like buying Rebrov (who is an exceptional player but simply hasn't seen eye to eye with Hoddle's plans).. But is it a right move?? NO!! why spend 15 M on one player (even if he's a great one like Mendieta) while it can be spent on 3 or 4 VERY good players from lower divisions or Spain, France and maybe even Italy.. talent isn't from what you pay.. but from what the player can offer....

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
i like mendieta...but i don't think we could get him...as a spurs fan, i'd want to see hoddle sign him...but i just don't see it's gonna happen...what mendieta should do is go back to spain...although i believe that rebrov+$$$ might be enough to get mendieta...but he is not the player we need...we need strikers....i'd rather have claudio lopez than mendieta...although i wouldn't be disappointed if we signedh him... :D:D:D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Spurs has some cash to burn after signing a shirt sponsorship deal worth $30million.So Hoddle will definitely be busy during the summer.However I really dont expect any top players to be arriving at White Hart Lane.A player like Mendieta will be desperate to go back to Spain after the disastrous 12 months at Lazio and he'll be practically scared of another move abroad.Similar with Lopez,Carson.;)He's finally settled down at Lazio and cant see him moving to England.I feel Hoddle will be busy looking at many young players in Holland and France and try to bring them over.Spurs have an ageing squad and Hoddle will definitely try to sort that out with the injection of youth.The Spurs chairman has given Hoddle permission to build a squad in the next two or three years.one that will be gunning for honours in 5 years time.So Hoddle will spend with this on mind.

For Anelka.. I would certainly think that his brothers must have had a few drinks before approaching clubs.. and they are simply destroying his career!! which is so sad to see as he really has a lot to offer
He never really should have moved from Arsenal,just when he was reaching the top of his game.Now look at hime.A shadow of his former self though he has shown glimpses at Liverpool.If Pool fail to attain his services for next season,who do expect GH to buy.Cisse might be a possibilty but he'll be very expensive.Any other name that you reckon?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
it's true that the spurs have $$$ but we won't play in europe next season so who would want to join us??? :depress:

i don't want any more oldies like effenberg... :crybaby:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K-2 said:
He never really should have moved from Arsenal,just when he was reaching the top of his game.Now look at hime.A shadow of his former self though he has shown glimpses at Liverpool.If Pool fail to attain his services for next season,who do expect GH to buy.Cisse might be a possibilty but he'll be very expensive.Any other name that you reckon?
Well I think it would be Cisse.. it's been a while since Gerard Houllier has shown such interest in one player.. and he seems determined to get him.. personally, if we don't get either Cisse or Anelka.. I'm happy with the current attacking line up.. Litmanen, Owen, Heskey and Baros... although looking at that and the injury proneness of these players.. you'd see that we need on more player.. if not Cisse.. hmmmmm... I would love to say Tristan.. but I want to be realistic here (a small message to the people who think Liverpool might buy Trezeguet.. WAKE UP!!)..

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
(a small message to the people who think Liverpool might buy Trezeguet.. WAKE UP!!)..
hah:)

ZZ was talking about Cisse before the France game.He felt that this kid was the hottest prospect in French football at the moment so there will be a lot of competition for him.

How about Kluivert??If he decides to move from barca then Premiership will be his preferred destination(after his experience in Italy with Milan;))and both Arsenal and Liverpool could wage a war for him.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI K-2..

Well personally, I've never been a Kluivert fan.. I was actually astonished that Milan bought him a few years back!! as a Milan fan.. that was one of the worst deals I've seen the club do (well.. the Inzaghi deal tops everything :)).. I think he would be a target for Liverpool.. but why pay a buckload of money for a superstar who misses more chances than Adi Akinbiyi (being sarcastic here) when we have Emile Heskey?!!
Ya I've read the praise on Cisse.. and saw him in the U21 WC in Argentina.. this guy is good!! he knows how to score.. and is good off the ball...
Personally, I think Liverpool should think about revamping their midfield.. with McAllister and Redknapp going (or gone).. Barmby barely being able to touch the ball.. and Smicer, Berger and Biscan clearly a liability to the team.. I think a new look midfield should be formed.. The rumors have been around Barry Ferguson of Rangers, Marc Overmars, Harry Kewell and the now strong rumor of Damien Duff for 10M..

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anelka's move to Liverpool in doubt!!

Doubts over Anelka move

Nicolas Anelka may miss out on a permanent move to Liverpool because of excessive wage demands, it is reported.
The French striker is on loan at Anfield from Paris Saint-Germain and was expected to complete a transfer to the Premiership club in the summer.

But the Daily Mail reports that Anelka ia asking for a contract worth £60,000 a week, on top a of a transfer fee of around £17m.

The report claims that Liverpool are already looking at alternative transfer targets for the summer.

Leeds striker Robbie Keane and Barcelona's Patrick Kluivert are said to top manager Gerard Houllier's wish list.

Anelka left Arsenal for Real Madrid in controversial circumstances three years ago, and moved on to Paris the following year.
--------------------------------------------

Well Robbie Keane is an excellent option!! and since I expect Kluivert to ask for something similar to what Anelka's brothers are demanding.. I think Liverpool should keep away from him...

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest Rumors:

- Wayne Bridge, Already a Liverpool transfer target.. is being targeted by Chelsea.

- Marcus Allback (Swedish International with Herenveen) is wanted by Aston Villa and Southampton.

- Reports suggest Tottenham are ready to offer Forest £2m for Scottish international Gareth Williams.

- Fulham's Mohammed Al Fayed wants to bring Gabriel Batistuta to Fulham.. one problem.. Tigana doesn't want him!!

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Newcastle and Liverpool fight for Distin

Newcastle and Liverpool fight for Distin
Friday 19 April 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newcastle are trying to beat off interest from Liverpool and Olympiakos in their on loan defender Sylvain Distin.

The centre back is on loan at Newcastle after moving from PSG in the summer but his future is undecided with Newcastle very keen to keep him on.

He has helped them all but clinch a Champions league place for next season but Liverpool and Olympiakos have contacted the French club to register their interest in the defender if his loan spell ends.

PSG are looking for a high price for 24 year old Distin and Newcastle have yet to conclude talks over a permanent move to them.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The only reason Liverpool could be interested on Distin is to use him as a back-up in case the H&H partnership breas down.Other than that I dont Pool needs any more defender specially those who play central.Ofcourse Distin can also be used a left-back if required.Wayne Bridge will probably start for England as the left-back during Korea/Japan and he has really progressed as a player.If Liverpool gets him then it suggest that GH is planning to use Riise in midfield,signalling the end of Berger's time at Anfield.

I agree with you when you say that Liverpool's midfield needs a shake-up.GH has done a magnificent job shutting up the holes in defence and making it into one of the strongest of Europe however he has neglected the attacking aspect of play all the time.I seriously dont feel that your midfield possess enough quality.Players like Murphy,Smicer,Biscan and Berger are average and nothing more.Hamann might be excellent in sitting back and breaking up opposition's play but going forward he contributes zilch.Murphy is workman like.He tries his best and does score some goals but doent have enough quality in him to provide the necessary spark.That leaves on Gerrard and puts tremendous burden on his young shoulders.Liverpool always look to him to provide that magical pass which he most often obliges.However a team cannot depend on just a single player to provide the flair and quality needed to break up the oppositions defence.Thats the reason why Liverpool manage only a goal or two per game and never look like getting more.

GH has to deal with this problem during the summer and I add some quality players into the squad.Overmars could be a good option because he will provide width as well as pace to your squad.But if Ze Roberto is available then I'd go for him because his crossing and dribbling skills are bettr than that of Overmars.:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
GH has shown in the past,he prefers to buy european rather than south-american - although there's always a 1st time for everything;).So Ze Roberto probably won't end up @ Anfield,so Overmars isn't his 1st option,but has more than enough in his locker(injuries an' all)to be very useful.Murphy is very under-rated by most people - his main problems are lack of speed and more importantly lack of concentration,but he is an important member of the squad nevertheless.

Be in no doubt,Houllier is doing things step-by-step.One by one,every problem area is being taken care of,and now all that's left to do is fine-tuning.

Regarding Distin,even as back-up,there are better defenders available - i'm sure the correct choices in strike,midfield & defence,will be made this summer.Watch out next year folks,don't say you weren't warned.:)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Be in no doubt,Houllier is doing things step-by-step.
Thats what I said.;)Now that he has taken care of the defence,its perhaps time to bring on some quality players in midfield,players with creativity and vision and who comes up with goals from midfield.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everyone..

Ok.. here are the latest rumors for us to chat about :)

1- Spurs to pip rivals for Pep
09:24, April 22, 2002
Tottenham are expected to pip Chelsea, Arsenal and Southampton to Josep Guardiola’s signature.
Bescia’s Spanish international midfielder has been in fine fettle since returning to action after a lengthy suspension.

The 31-year-old was found non-negative for the banned substance nandrolone, and was handed a four-month ban.

Guardiola still maintains his innocence, and believes vitamin pills resulted in the anti-doping commissions findings, which were not conclusive anyway.

Due to his harsh treatment in Italy, the former Barcelona star has signalled his intention to move away from Serie A.

The signing of Guardiola on a Bosman will represent another good piece of business for Spurs, who seem intent on assembling a team of internationals on a comparative shoestring.
-----------------------------------
Personally, with Inter also interested.. I can't see it happening!! Spurs' reputation is a shadow of what it was before.. and with the way some of their star players were treated (Rebrov).. It's not something to encourage players to go to!!

1 - 20 of 1126 Posts