Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all play, no work at Croatian training camp

Updated: Thursday May 16, 2002 08:46 a.m. ET

FAAK AM SEE, Austria (AP) -- Star striker Alen Boksic, who missed the last World Cup and the 1996 European Championships through injury, is taking no chances this time.

At Croatia's training camp this week, much of the emphasis has been on team talks and tactics, and relaxation after strenuous league campaigns. The squad leaves for its World Cup base in Japan on Sunday.

Boksic, who plays for England's Middlesbrough, can often be seen quietly limbering up, or just privately meditating in a peaceful corner at the camp here, deep in the forests of Austria's southeastern province of Carinthia

Coach Mirko Jozic wants his players to fly out as fresh as possible for the tournament. The France 1998 semifinalists are grouped with three-time champion Italy, Ecuador and Mexico in the round-robin stage.

Goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa, defenders Josip Simunic, Anthony Seric and the Kovac brothers, Niko and Robert, are most often seen on the golf course. Left-back Robert Jarni likes to escape from the soccer pitch to the tennis court, while captain Davor Suker prefers to test his goal-scoring touch with shots at goal from around the penalty box.

"Some players are feeling fatigued from long a season and need to accumulate energy by resting, while others are already fit and prepared to take training to a higher level," said Jozic, adding he will gradually introduce more intense, joint workouts.

Once the pace picks up, Jozic said his first task would be to synchronize the defense and work on tactical issues.

"Even if we finetune some moves, we must be ready to execute a wide range of others at any given moment," Jozic said

The Croat squad arrived at Faak's federal sports and recreational center May 12 and will stay through May 19 when it is scheduled to depart for Japan.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I have read about this over the last week from Slobodna and Vecernjak, the defense and attack work seperately, with Niko Kovac switching between the two. Everyone is completely fit and healthy, and the press aren't allowed to watch tactics sessions. They can call any two players they chose for a daily press conference for 1/2 an hour, along with Jozic.

All in all, Jozic couldn't be more pleased with the morale level and training, Suker says that the atmosphere has never been better.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I like it, I like it alot.

Especially about Boka and staying away from training for a while.

And also about keeping the tactical sessions quiet.

Looks like Kovac Niko will have a crucial role to play.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
our vatreni have just landed in Japan. Hope their flight was good. I feel sorry for the guy who had to sit next to Suker, I hear he'll talk your ears off.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last summer when I was coming back from Cro, my cousin and I were in the Zagreb airport. WHile waiting in line, my cousin said that she recognized someone from Chicago in the cafe in the airport but didnt know his name. When I went to look, it was Suker. I guess he was flying to Ireland because their friendly was a few days away. I hate myself for doing this, but he was sitting and talking with someone, so I decided not to bother him. Should of at least taken a picture with him. Oh well.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Talking with or at someone?

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
It's a joke.

It's a term used when a person talks so much the other can't get a word into the conversation.

It's like a guy talking 'at' a wall-one way conversation.

If Suker likes to babble then he'd be doing most if not all of the talking, hence talking 'at' someone.

Again my humour goes unchecked.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I know what you mean, it was hard for TV commentator Bozo Susec to get a word in in an interview, the man can babble for hours. He loves the word 'zaista', and uses it up to 4 times in a sentence :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts