Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am approaching the summer and Im needing to train for the upcoming season. I dont know too much to train on and thats where i am thinking where you guys can help. My shooting and passing is real good and my dribbling is one of my best attributes too. I can do a lot of moves. I am also really good at long balls. Im really fast. But the only problems are that I get fouled a lot. Im thinking that some weight lifting will help this? Im 15 rite now so i dont know. I am from Portugal. We have practices a lot during the summer. But I dont know too much to train as of now. Whats the best things to do during the summer to get ready for the upcoming season?

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Why do you need to change? Fast, skillful? If you draw a lot of fouls, it's good. It sets up dead ball situations, which can be very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
jbmarine7 said:
Why do you need to change? Fast, skillful? If you draw a lot of fouls, it's good. It sets up dead ball situations, which can be very dangerous.
Yes, but maybe he is getting knocked off the ball in his end and in the middle of the field on 50/50 balls?

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that. If you get knocked off the ball very easily, you need to work a lot on your upper body strength. I know it's simple, but pushups actually help a lot with that. They help you gain a lot of strength in your chest and upper body. Also, observe Francesco Totti. He's a very skillful player, but he also uses great upper body strength to hold off players. Another couple of examples are Genardo Gattusso (AC Milan/Italy) and Wayne Rooney (Everton/England) Those players use their upper body strength to keep from being hassled off the ball.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
jbmarine7 said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that. If you get knocked off the ball very easily, you need to work a lot on your upper body strength. I know it's simple, but pushups actually help a lot with that. They help you gain a lot of strength in your chest and upper body. Also, observe Francesco Totti. He's a very skillful player, but he also uses great upper body strength to hold off players. Another couple of examples are Genardo Gattusso (AC Milan/Italy) and Wayne Rooney (Everton/England) Those players use their upper body strength to keep from being hassled off the ball.
Rooney can hold a ball like no other and how old is he?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
In Pre season you should make sure you work alot on your fitness and as the season draws closer you do more work with the ball
So 6/5 weeks before season you should be doing something like...75% Fitness and 25% Ball work and then the ballwork training increases the closer the season gets
Getting fit is the main objective and along with impoving your technical ability and getting that rustyness out of you, should make you be ready for the season
The closer the season gets the more ball work and less fitness/wieght training you do

Diet is important,Eat and sleep well and be 100% dedicated in training
If you do that I don't see why you can't go far
Practice Practice Practice when you have spare time outside training

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
BLAQUEST said:
Rooney can hold a ball like no other and how old is he?
18. Terriffic. Also, I agree totally with what Faisal said. Focus on regaining your fitness in the off season, then work on your technical skills more as the season draws nearer. Oh. And stay away from twinkies. They do NOT help before the season starts... :yuck:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yes Your right fitness is probably the biggest thing and hardest thing to maintain. I run everynight and You probably need to because if you cant run you basically cant compete

·
Registered
273 Posts
I focus on doing sprints durring the off- season. I run daily then I do about a mile to three miles of sprints. Helps a lot

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for the replies, ill try doing more fitness minded exercises and work out a little more on my upper body.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You also need lower body work, and need work on your core (midsection), most of your strength and explosive power come from your legs and hip area

I reccomend the book "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen. He trains Mia Hamm and Nomar Garciapara(baseball player)

Since I've been doing his program, my game has improved 110%

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Whats important is that you find the right balance between yourself and your weight.

The more you weigh the less likely your going to get pushed off the ball. Howeve ryou don't want to sacrifice speed and agility.

Eat alot of Chicken and Steak and train alot.

·
Registered
447 Posts
if your gonna put on muscle weight you shouldnt put a lot on

you might feel like you need water more often when you are playin because the lower your body fat level is the easier you get dehydrated

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
^thats why i never need water i got plenty of body fat !!!!

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
mufyn said:
you might feel like you need water more often when you are playin because the lower your body fat level is the easier you get dehydrated
Then how did Ade Akinbiyi ever play? That guy was nothing but one big muscle. Thierry Henry is relatively buff too. How is he so fast?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If you are not doing squats you will not be at your peak. Any weight training, do standing as it will help with core strength more than if you sit. Medicine balls are also a great tool as you have the natural movement instead of having to decelerate a weight in your hand. I suggest you find a trainer to help you for the first few times. Im sure some teamates will be intested also.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The Core training is the way to go...........

Using the physioball is a must (not just the medicine ball)

I have a good amount of muscle, but I dont dehydrate during the game (unless its 100% humidity on a 85 degree day)

You have to drink plenty of water hours before the game, then taper off 2 hours before the game (you dont want to feel like your gonna piss on yourself during the game !!!)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Water is very important to any footballer.

Minimum of 10 glasses a day.

My suggestion for speed work 7 sets of 25 metre sprints with 45 seconds rest. Gradually increasee this over time.

Water should also be drunk 24 hours before the game that's how long it takes to hydrate your body.. 3 hours before training/match each some carbs after eat protein.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i have a lot of muscle but find myself getting tired i think im gonna find a speed trainer to help me with speed and endurance

1 - 20 of 24 Posts