Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've alway's been a big admirer of Totti's talents. But I must say in the last week or so I'm starting to feel that it would be best that Totti is no longer part of the NT. It seems that his poor behavier and attitude and lack of leadership and class is at it's highest point in his career. And having him on the NT would do more harm than good.
With all the great striker's in Italy this year I think the NT is more than capable of playing without Totti. I think Cassano could take his place behind the 2 forwards.Gilardino and either Montella,Micolli,Flachi or even DiMichele. who ever. Plus it seem's that the Cassano and Totti magic together has fizzled out. And would be best for Cassano to part ways with Totti. Is this the way to go? Or is there still hope for Totti? Part of me say's drop him and the there part say's he to great a talent to drop. I don't know ? tell me what you guy's think?

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I wouldn't take out Totti from the NT, but I would applaud and effort not to be to dependant on him for "making the games". With Pirlo on form there seems to be an option to broaden the scope of play and opportunities to go forward thru another channel.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
i think it's important to have as much quality on the park as possible, and if some of our best guys are a bit "difficult" to look after then that's what the manager earns his money for. of course at some point you've got to draw the line though and throw a player out if he becomes a complete liability, but i don't think Totti has reached that point yet.

he's getting married and his first kid will be born in the next couple of months and Roma has hit rock bottom so i understand if he is even more volatile than usual right now. hopefully next season Roma is still in Serie A and he will be a calm family man with a more responsible game by then ;)

if it works out like this he should definitely be left in the team and given another chance at the world cup (if we make it :hopefull: :mute: ). After that whatever happens nobody will complain. But given what's happened this season, even if he gets dropped before then, that decision wouldn't be hard to understand either.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Vagabondo said:
he's getting married and his first kid will be born in the next couple of months
Really? He is smart enough to breed? :party:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
barracuda said:
Really? He is smart enough to breed? :party:
apparently intelligence and similar attributes are hereditary characteristics so if his parents were "smart" enough, then i'm guessing he has a chance too. ;)

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I know I'm going get hammered for sprouting rubbish (again) but I would pick Morfeo as starting eleven and relegate Totti to the bench. He doesn't have a divine right to start every match and his immaturity, lack of discipline and whiny behaviour causes more harm than good to the NT, at least until he changes for the better.

Exclude Morfeo for his inconsistency? Totti is terribly guilty of that too. I actually see Domenico as an equal to Francesco in terms of vision, passing ability and creativity. The only advantage Totti has is his finishing and the uncanny knack of scoring goals from his position, something that Morfeo sorely lacks. But just imagine Morfeo playing behind the front two (or three) and Pirlo behind him..

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
There is no player better than Totti in his position for italy if he is in form for the NT. Thats the first thing we have to accept. Cassano did well in the Euro, but we know he works his best as a support striker.

Another aspect is what Lippi has in mind for the NT. Will he continue the 4-4-2? If so, it doesnt really allow Totti to play his best. And in this formation, it doesnt really allow Pirlo to play at his best as he does at Milan. But totti can play as the support striker, as can cassano, miccoli, flachi etc...

For me though, i dont see totti being the future. he'll be 30 soon, he isnt having a great time right now and i dont think lippi should have him in plans 3 years down the track when there are young talents coming through who can offer the national team a lot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you that Totti is the most talented player in Italy. But it's his attitude that's the problem. And someone mentioned earlier, you have to draw the line somewhere. It seems that Totti's attitude has worstend since Euro. Is it at the point where having him on the team is a liability? I know if I was playing against Italy in the next WC and Totti was playing my game plan would be to rattle Totti and get under his skin. And I'm sure the appossing coaches will be thinking the same thing. So should Italy take that chance especially nowing his attitude hasn't gotten any better since Euro. But actually worstend. I could understand if Italy had nobody to replace him. But they do.
One positive thing was that Lippi substituded Totti in the Scottland game. Which tells me that Lippi might be playing hardball with Totti. And letting him now that if you don't perform you don't play. Something Trap would have never done. Thats definetly positive.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jimmy C said:
I agree with you that Totti is the most talented player in Italy.
Bwaahahaha :D No he's not!

And CUG said he was the best at his position not the most talented in Italy.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Let me finish the second part of the title

- SUCKS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't write down his exact word for word but I ment to say the most talented Italian player at that position. I'm sure you know what I ment. Was there any spelling mistake's that I made that you want to tell me about? hehaheha!!!

A

·
0 Posts
hey come on people what a hell are you guys talking about not having totti in NT. All i know is that we have a better chance of winning anything with totti in the line up then not having him in it.... Out of all the players i would have never thought totti will be the one that you guys will say NO to NT. wow

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
at least if Totti is on the roster that is one spot less that Del Piero could take up...thats a good enough reason if i ever read one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
AS_Roma83 said:
at least if Totti is on the roster that is one spot less that Del Piero could take up...thats a good enough reason if i ever read one.
can't argue with this :shades:

but as long as there is room for Uliveto endorsements with our national team, then i fear DP will remain a fixture in the squad all the same :wallbang: :D

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
For sure I would only play 1 of Totti or Cassano. Its a bad season for Roma overall so maybe next season we will see what the 2 of these do.

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
Vagabondo said:
can't argue with this :shades:

but as long as there is room for Uliveto endorsements with our national team, then i fear DP will remain a fixture in the squad all the same :wallbang: :D
I have never bought that mineral water. :stuckup:

Also cause one bottle of Uliveto costs twice the bottle of mineral water I usually buy. :finger:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ToniSamp said:
I have never bought that mineral water. :stuckup:

Also cause one bottle of Uliveto costs twice the bottle of mineral water I usually buy. :finger:
i hope that there will be threats of a mass boycott of Uliveto in the lead up to the next world cup, should Del Piero be selected :star:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i could name a few other players who could be in that same basket as del piero for the next cup.

besides, lippi doesnt seem to have del piero in his plans, so maybe you can lay off del piero. many others have done a half of two thirds of fuk all for the NT and yet get nothing.

·
Registered
46,516 Posts
CUG said:
i could name a few other players who could be in that same basket as del piero for the next cup.

besides, lippi doesnt seem to have del piero in his plans, so maybe you can lay off del piero. many others have done a half of two thirds of fuk all for the NT and yet get nothing.
Until it's just "seem" there is a risk.
The very last Del Piero is so crap that he could just play for the San Marinese NT but I remember very well that less than one month ago, after that heel against Siena, everybody in Italy said "how is that Lippi does not convoke Del Piero?" and "he is the most decisive player of Juventus" and "why does Capello replace him in every game?".

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
CUG said:

CUG your list would probably start and finish with Totti, but imo he hasn't yet proven that he has no ability to stand and deliver for Italy in crucial matches whatsoever quite as convincingly as DP has yet. i don't intend to criticise the man, it's just that i don't want to see him play for Italy ever again either.

in any case though, like i've said before, this should be Totti's last chance (should we qualify) but i don't really even mind if he is dropped before then as long as Lippi has reasonable alternatives in mind.

for example; he shouldn't be out of the side if the best Lippi can do without Totti is to play some dodgy 4-4-2 and expect Camo, Gattuso or somebody else to put in crosses for a Corradi style striker as our only chance of scoring a goal from open play.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts