Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the mans guts but I'm afraid there goes Italy's world cup chances.

Get well Totti. :thumbsup:

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=359236&cc=5739

Ankle break leaves Totti facing eight weeks out

Italy's World Cup hopes have been shaken by an injury that could rule Francesco Totti out of the summer tournament in Germany.

The Roma playmaker picked up an injury during Sunday's 1-0 win over Empoli after a tackle from the Tuscany club's Richard Vanigli which needed immediate surgery.

The fibula in his lower left leg has been fractured while there is also thought to be ankle ligament damage to the 29-year-old who is the Azzurri's chief creative player and who has been in superb form recently.

Initial assessments said the player would not play again for two months but, after further examination, that has already been extended to three which puts the player's World Cup hopes on a knife edge.

The Italian season ends on May 14 and if the three-month prognosis is accurate it would mean that national team coach Marcello Lippi would have to decide whether to gamble on a player not match fit.

Lippi, speaking after talking to Roma's medical staff, tried to sound upbeat when he said: 'It would be a pity not to have him at the World Cup because he is a very important player for Italy. But we are expecting him (to be there).'

Vanigli was distraught, telling www.gazzetta.it: 'I don't make a habit of hurting opponents - especially not a great player like Totti.

'I am devastated and want to say sorry in public. I arrived a bit late from behind but I went for the ball and my conscience is clear even if I am feeling bad.

'I haven't spoken to Totti but I hope to go and see him and speak to him as soon as possible.'

Roma coach Luciano Spalletti exonerated the Empoli player from blame, telling club website www.asroma.it: 'Vanigli's foul was not a nasty one but these are the risks with tackles from behind - that's what I think when I see the replay on TV.'

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Now thats a big lost. Poor Totti, things are never perfect now that His Roma team look good and the WC close this shít has to happen to him.
Tough luck man. :depress:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think the only thing left is to hope for him to recover and to be the hero for italy at the WC after spending the group stage on the bench!

For Roma it is bad, his season is over and without him Im not sure how long Roma will last :(

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Culéd said:
Latest reports say that it's 2-3 months out. He still has a chance to make it. If he doesn't, it'll be another reason not to watch the damn thing..
if you dont like watching the World Cupo what s your businnes here dude, World Cup is Christmas, Hakunnah and Ramadan all together for a footie fan. How come you are a FM anyways.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Deano said:
I think the only thing left is to hope for him to recover and to be the hero for italy at the WC after spending the group stage on the bench!

For Roma it is bad, his season is over and without him Im not sure how long Roma will last :(
and worst of all Casanno is in Madrid. Not much consolation for you lot.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Culéd said:
Where did I say I didn't like watching it? I just think it's a shame that so many great players will miss it. But what do you expect from a madridista.
What do you have to think on the ones who are not going to make it, ( i can name 100 good players who ll be there) ohh I see you are still bitter that Etoo will watch the World Cuo por la television. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
He has been brillant this season, so sad that has happened to him. Italy's chances of winning the world cup has shortened quite abit now.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
lazyyzal05 said:
He has been brillant this season, so sad that has happened to him. Italy's chances of winning the world cup has shortened quite abit now.
I bet you Del Piero (the player and the poster) dont think so.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I dont care for Cassano. This should have happened to him and not Totti. Bitter words maybe, but Totti doesnt deserve this after so much bad luck already in his career.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Unlucky Totti and Roma.

A player and a club I really like.

Good Luck to both of them.

Totti still has a chance to make the World Cup and I am sure I speak for all true football fans when I say get well soon!

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Deano said:
I dont care for Cassano. This should have happened to him and not Totti. Bitter words maybe, but Totti doesnt deserve this after so much bad luck already in his career.
Why the f*** should it happen to Cassano?

Why does Cassano deserves this?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Karma.

Anyway, best wishes to him.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts