Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totti threatens to leave Roma for foreign challenge

MILAN, Dec 19 (Reuters) - Italy forward Francesco Totti says he will leave AS Roma for a foreign club unless the Serie A side can return to being title contenders.

In an interview with the Rome daily Il Messaggero on Sunday, Totti, who has played with Roma since he was a schoolboy, said he needed the club to convince him they had a serious plan to return to the top.

While the Roma captain has delivered such ultimatums in the past, this time Totti says he is weary of the responsibility he carries at the club and sick of the treatment he has received from some of the team's supporters.

"I want to know what the club plans. I am not interested in a new contract offer; before that has to come a project from the club. Without that there is nothing to talk about. Roma has to be competitive" said Totti.

"I am not in any rush, let's see what happens in the next six months," said the 28-year-old whose contract with Roma runs out in June 2006.

Roma won the Italian title in 2001 and were second last year but have been unable to keep up with rivals Juventus and Milan this term and were ninth before Sunday's game with Parma.

"We can't return to being a club that aims only for third or fourth place when things go well. We can't go back to being a team that in January are already thinking about next season," he said.

Totti said he had already received offers "from Italian clubs and from abroad" but added he would prefer a switch to a foreign club if he left Roma.

"I'll never go to Juventus. That would be like going to Lazio," he said referring to Roma's two traditional rivals.

If Totti quit it would almost certainly result in angry protests from supporters but he asked: "Do I always have to carry Roma on my shoulders? I feel like a crooked-backed old woman and I want to be able to walk upright again."

A local hero who made his debut for Roma as a 16-year-old, Totti has long been the favourite of the Roma ultras but indicated that his relationship with the fans had soured.

"The fans always want me to stay at Roma but then they have a go at me. It seems I'm the captain only when things go well," he said.

"After our defeat at home to Udinese I received some ferocious abuse from fans in the street. They called me a mercenary and yelled 'You are thinking about other clubs. Go now!'.

"I can handle that when I am on my own but not when I am in company. It annoys me and this is not the first time. The majority of the supporters are with me but there are a lot who pick on me.

i would love to see totti plaing in spain ,, :sweeteye: :sweeteye:

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
I think we should make a sticky thread dedicated only to the new articles about Totti supposedly threatening to leave Roma if the team isn't competitive enough. It's that repetative...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Totti attacks Roma fans, Capello
tribalfootball.com - December 20, 2004

AS Roma captain Francesco Totti has blasted former coach Fabio Capello and his supporters in an amazing tirade.

Totti warned he may quit the club if circumstances do not improve, blasting: "Wages aren't the important thing when it comes to my contract renewal. There have to be plans in place, as we cannot return to the days of a Roma side aiming for third or fourth position."

He also told Il Messaggero: "The fans want me at Roma forever, but then they're the ones who repeatedly insult me in the street.

"I am only the captain when things are going well, otherwise I'm the 'mercenary' and 'playboy millionaire'."

He rapped: "I have received offers from Italy and overseas. I would never join Juventus or Lazio, but in any case my preference would be for somewhere outside Serie A. If I ever did leave, it would not be a sudden transfer in the middle of the night.

"I would explain everything to the fans and leave Roma with my head held high."

Totti slammed Capello's departure: "It was a crazy decision, especially with so many of our players already caught up in the Olympics. I think Capello might have planned it on purpose to ruin our season.

"Capello even had the gall to take Philippe Mexes for a ride. The day before signing for Juve he assured the defender a project was in place for this team. He can't have reached an agreement in 24 hours. I think he already knew he was leaving Roma long before then, as first he was in talks with Inter before Juve came in. That's Fabio Capello for you."

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah, but I think, Totti willn't go out.. anyway, in one-two seasons definitely.. He told that he'll go , cos Roma failed at the start of this season, but after last some games there is a hope that everything will be good soon..

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Totti makes Roma pledge Monday 20 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Francesco Totti has reiterated that he is ready to stay at Roma – so long as they can challenge for honours.

The No 10’s capital future was again cast in doubt over the weekend after he gave a revealing interview.

But Totti insists he is hoping to continue wearing the Giallorossi shirt for some time to come.

"I simply confirmed what I had already stated in the past," the captain told ‘Rete Sport’ on Monday.

"I’ve said I am ready to stay. All that I want is to be part of a great team because this city and the fans deserve it.

"I would also like to underline that talks over a new contract (which currently expires in 2006) will have nothing to do with money."

Roma official Rosella Sensi, daughter of owner Franco, welcomed Totti’s latest comments.

"I have no doubt that he will stay here with us," she stated. "After all, what will I do without my ‘little brother?’

"Francesco is right to desire a competitive Roma but that is what we all want at this club in the future. We’ll soon start extension talks."

Meanwhile, the Roman was asked to comment on his achievement of becoming the club’s all-time top scorer in Serie A after reaching 108 yesterday.

"I dedicate that record to myself," he stated. "Which was the best goal? The chip in the derby against Lazio which we won 5-1."

The previous first belonged to Roberto Pruzzo who netted 106 times. "I’m happy that Francesco has taken my record," stated the Giallorossi legend.

"He is an extraordinary and complete player. Others players are good at a few things but Totti knows how to do everything."

Totti is also promising to finally deliver the goods for Italy over the next two years. "I’ll make up for the European Championships in the 2006 World Cup," he concluded.

channel4

====================

Sacchi set for Real post Monday 20 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Italy boss Arrigo Sacchi has admitted that he could be handed a job by Real Madrid.

The latter have been linked with Sacchi for some weeks now and a deal seems to be on the horizon.

"I have great memories of Spain but I can’t really talk about Real," the ex-Atletico Madrid boss told newspaper ‘AS’.

"You need to be patient and respectful because there are negotiations taking place at this moment in time.

"I would happily remark on the situation if there was anything concrete but that isn’t the case right now."

It’s understood that Real want Sacchi to become Technical Director, giving him the power to restructure certain aspects of the club.

The former Milan legend, who currently works for Parma, would also make decisions on transfers and on who will Coach the first team.

Picking a new tactician is likely to be one of his first tasks following the resignation of Antonio Camacho earlier this term.

Sacchi is apparently keen on landing either Milan’s Carlo Ancelotti or Frank Rijkaard of Barcelona – two of his former players.

But the duo are unlikely to leave their respective clubs which could open the door for Alberto Zaccheroni.

The latter, who has been out of work since he was sacked by Inter in the summer, is highly respected by Sacchi.

On the player front, it is believed that Real will finally make a bid to sign Francesco Totti in the summer as his Roma deal expires in 2006.

channel4

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Fans are like that but I don't think roma fans have much beef to argue with totti in regards to performance.He's been brilliant for the club,But he has to stop with his Media outburst's they aren't helping the club at all.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Lippi predicts Totti future Tuesday 21 December, 2004

Italy boss Marcello Lippi is confident that Francesco Totti will continue his career with Roma.

Speculation suggests that the No 10 could move to Real Madrid in the summer but the tactician is keeping cool.

"I’m not too worried, especially because of the globalisation of football today," the former Juventus Coach told TG5.

"I would certainly be disappointed for Italian football but he won’t leave Serie A. At the end of the day, Totti will stay at Roma."

Totti’s contract expires in the summer of 2006 and he’s threatened to quit unless the club can guarantee him a competitive side.

Meanwhile, the Azzurri have ended 2004 in tenth place in the official FIFA World Rankings.

Brazil have closed the year as the best team in the world for the third successive time, ahead of France and Argentina.

Top 10
1. Brazil 843 pts
2. France 792
3. Argentina 785
4. Czech Rep 777
5. Spain 765
6. Holland 758
7. Mexico 753
8. England 752
9. Portugal 747
10. Italy 738

channel4