Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roma captain Francesco Totti could be out for six months after tests showed torn ligaments in his right knee.

Although the official announcement will only be made tomorrow, Giallorossi Coach Luciano Spalletti is certain the worst has happened.

“With all likelihood it is a sprained right knee with damage to the anterior cruciate ligament,” explained the tactician.

Totti was stretchered off 39 minutes into today’s 1-1 draw with Livorno and rushed straight to the Villa Stuart clinic for tests.

The initial reports coming out of the hospital suggest the diagnosis has been confirmed and Totti will require surgery.

His season is over and he could well be sidelined for up to six months with this serious knee injury.

“I think Francesco is not in good shape and I am rather worried,” admitted patron Rosella Sensi.

“It’s a great shame and adds to a very sad day. In any case, we will not give in on the Scudetto. I wish to thank the players and the Coach.”

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
:cry:

Totti could be out from 50 days to 5 months. They still have to do check ups. Still, how the hell can someone like Brozzi still be in the team? Totti felt something when he first got out, and frigging' Brozzi says its ok? WTF kind of a medical stuff do we have here? Totti played for 30 minutes with a teared ACL! And risks of having damaged the meniscus too.

I wish luck to my Capitano! Get better soon!
All those times I told You guys... REST TOTTI!

Roma is a bunch of amateurs I tell ya, and then you wonder why we don't win shit.

I am pissed off... What about today's game? PATHETIC!
And to all those so to speak journalists and other bastards that were saying how Totti is fine and that his "excuse" of physical problems for the NT is bollocks... VAFFANCULO!

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
A really sad day, the kind of afternoon that, unfortunately, we've grown accostomed to over the years. That feeling of absolute let down, of nothing ever coming together for us, of total suffering. A late goal by Livorno from a nobody and now this news. Scudetto? :dielaugh: I'm just hoping to hold on to second place, peeps. And now I will say the unthinkable: I'm not sure if we'll ever see Il Capitano freely run up and down the pitch at maximum speed again. The last two seasons, starting with the killer injury against Empoli, have destroyed him. He's part of the walking wounded. I feel really bad for him. I wish him the best recovery. There's just an enormous sense of dread within me when I think of Roma, that this is the end of an era.
:scared:

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Knee injuries are always risky and at Totti's age (over 30) it makes them even worse.

I hope he can make a complete comeback, but I am worried.
Yea at his age it's going to be tough to get back 100% and will probably take longer. I tore my right ACL but worked really hard rehabing and started playing again just under 5 months. I didn't feel 100% confident/without 2nd thoughts doing sharp cuts and turns until about 7-8 months. I think he'll be out until next Jan. since they won't risk him coming back not fully recovered physically, but most importantly mentally

Sad news, hope he comes back the same Totti we know

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think his career is f*cked now. He will come back, but never be the same again. Its a sad day indeed, but this transfer market is to sign some players who can indeed make us a great team without Totti.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Totti: I'll be back stronger

channel4:

Francesco Totti will have knee ligament surgery today, ruling him out for five to six months. “I’ll be back better and stronger than before.”

He was stretchered off during Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Livorno and was diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

“I was scared at the moment of the injury, as I felt a ‘crack,’ but now we will evaluate things carefully with Professor Mariani and see what is to be done,” he said.

“I am a little down, but I have been through worse. Now we’ll see if I need to have an operation. If that is the case, I will return better and stronger than before.”

This afternoon the official statement was released confirming he would undergo surgery later today at the Villa Stuart clinic.

“Professor Pier Paolo Mariani visited Totti and confirmed the diagnosis we had made straight after the incident – the partial rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament in the right knee,” announced the club.

“Considering the type of lesion and the condition of the knee, Professor Mariani has suggested surgery to reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament, which will be performed this afternoon at the Villa Stuart clinic.”

This means Totti will be out of action for between four and six months, so a comeback would not be expected before October, missing much of the Champions League group phase.

This certainly isn’t the first serious injury for the Roma captain, who fractured his ankle just over two years ago.

He felt a twinge in his knee early on in the game and carried on playing until falling awkwardly on to his right leg when striking the ball.

“Unfortunately destiny has been rather cruel to me, as I have had two serious setbacks in a short period of time,” continued Totti.

“In all of my career, the fractured ankle was the only really serious problem I’d had.”

At least the World Cup winner hasn’t lost his sense of humour. He referred to the last week’s controversy over whether he should’ve been suspended for swearing at the referee in Udine.

“They called it. There was talk of a ban and instead I hurt my knee, so either way I’m out of action.”

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.