Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni is confident Roma star Francesco Totti will be fit for the World Cup opener against Ecuador on June 3.

Totti has been struggling with a thigh injury and missed most of Roma's Scudetto run-in but Trapattoni said on Wednesday: "I don't know whether he [Totti] will start or only play the second half in our friendly against the Czech Republic on Saturday but I am confident he will be ready for our game against Ecuador.

"It depends on the player's physical situation, how the training sessions go and so on. I can't wait for anyone to get fit, I have to count on players how are at their best."

Trapattoni will hand out the shirt numbers on Thursday and the big question is whether Totti or Alessandro del Piero will be given the No 10 shirt. The Roma captain is the clear favourite to be given the assignment of leading the team.

The Italy coach will also have to decide who will partner Christian Vieri up front with Del Piero, Vincenzo Montella, Marco Delvecchio and Filippo Inzaghi all certain to play at one stage against the Czechs.

But Trapattoni added that he would not reveal all his secrets on Saturday. He said: "It is not going to be the Italy that we will see in the World Cup.

"And I have to say that I am not listening to journalists saying that Del Piero and Totti can't play together because they are the same people who said they couldn't play together a couple of months ago."

Apart from Ecuador, Italy also face Croatia and Mexico in World Cup Group G.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Totti missed tons of games in the second part of the season so he is very well rested for the world cup:rollani:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
its good to hear he will play for us. although he hasnt been in great form lately and his injuries havent helped, he is obviously a key for italy and i believe that he and Del Piero can play together and play well.

totti got number 10 and del piero got 7 i think???

i dont care if they get 1005 and 69, as long as they play good and win games for teh azzuri.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
And put's a ball past Croatia... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts