Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens every world cup or major tournament.

We relied so heavily on Totti at WC2002 and Euro2004.

In Euro2000 we really didn't rely on anyone.

And in WC98 we were relying on Del Piero or Baggio.

Its not healthy. Moreover, I don't think any formation or system which has one player that is "irreplaceable" to be the pivotal point for the attack.

Sure, if Totti is fit and in form then I can understand the 4-3-1-2. But to be honest, I much prefer a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 where the playmaking responsibility is shared.

Also, no matter how good Totti is, other teams will have the option to just shut him out of the game and if the Azzuri are tought to rely on Totti so much, then they become clueless in attack.

I want to see a team at the world cup which can rely on several options.

My big worry is that Totti will actually recover just in time for the World Cup and he WILL NOT be the same Totti we saw this season. Add to that all of the expectation and pressure he will feel and he is DESTINED not to perform.

I think Totti is world class, don't get me wrong. But I remember that in the last Euro championships, we played better without him and i think its because the team needed to rely more on everyone and not 1 man!

A

·
0 Posts
me being the biggst totti supporter have to agree with you on puting our faith in one player every turnement. i hope totti recovers and goes to world cup, and i hope all of our other players wont depend on totti as much knowing he wont be 100% and that should take some pressure of of him.. and i hope i prey he will have a turnement of his life

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
armenian18 said:
me being the biggst totti supporter have to agree with you on puting our faith in one player every turnement. i hope totti recovers and goes to world cup, and i hope all of our other players wont depend on totti as much knowing he wont be 100% and that should take some pressure of of him.. and i hope i prey he will have a turnement of his life
I agree...and I think EVERYONE on our team better give 110%, which will only make Totti's job out there that much easier

·
Banned
734 Posts
ha even lippi said i cant replace totti, think about that. even lippi has is totti oppession.

i would definetly bring him off the bench, against ghana

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
A half-fit Totti can still turn games. One perfect pass is suffucient to settle a closely-contested tie. However, we are still a formidable team without Totti.

I have to say we're not relying on him as much as we did in the last European Championships when that senile Trap announced to the world that he will be centering his entire game plan around one single player a month before the competition. I'm not optimistic about Totti recovering in time for the World Cup, but I'm still very optimistic about our chances.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
There isn't an obsession IMO, Lippi has done very well in his efforts to make Italy play like a team in attack and to limit the reliance on Totti's creativity. No longer 90% of the attacks go through him and no longer 80% of the assists should be made by him. So even if he's mising or not in form, Italy still have a good chance.

But even an unfit Totti should be taken to the WC, he can turn the games around while barely walking (for example our recent game against Parma, he was clearly injured and couldn't run, but he still made 3 great assists) and he would be a formidable option to have coming off the bench. Plus if he's not really fit, the pressure on him will be much less.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Lippi learnt a hard lesson in the CL final against Milan when Nedved was missing. his team was built around nedved and once h ewas missing, we had nothing.

however, this italian team has more than just totti. lippi has many players to look at and he can restructure the set up.

as discussed in the other thread of this forum, names such as cassano, del piero, marchionni, camoranesi, pirlo and even maresca can give something to this team.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well first thats a huge amount of stress on Totti!! Just like 2004, i guess we shoul've learned the lesson!!

I surely agree the team must not rely on one player!! But you know we're not brazil, we don't have Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho & adriano, we only have one & he's Totti!!

Maybe the possibility of Totti not being at the WC will give the team & the coach the spirit of thinking as a team, & as we all hope Totti will be back & they will be all interacting with each other without Totti being under the microscope!!

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
I think the kind of pressure given to Totti this time around is that of full support.

Italy will not win the world cup without Totti, with Totti there is a small chance but a chance nonetheless, so yes even though the fuss is way too much, it does have substantial grounds

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
bernmilan1 said:
Italy will not win the world cup without Totti
I wouldn't agree; I think every team in the final list of 32 has a chance of winning it. It's football, after all. Denmark and Greece did the impossible during the Euros.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Vinman said:
just full of stupid statements, aren't you ??
Obviously taking advice from a clown like you :finger: :rolleyes: .just listening to the Brainteasing words coming from you makes one wan't to take some fine notes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bandiera said:
Obviously taking advice from a clown like you :finger: :rolleyes: .just listening to the Brainteasing words coming from you makes one wan't to take some fine notes. :rolleyes:
then get your pencil out, kid and get ready to take some fvcking notes :finger:

You need to take your sorry ass to anger management to rid yourself of the hate that you harbor for DP and Juventus, and come to the realization that come summer, we are all on the same side

I would suggest you go out and buy a punching bag to take your frustrations out on that, but I'm afraid the bag would kick the shit out of you !!! :howler: :finger: :finger:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Vinman said:
then get your pencil out, kid and get ready to take some fvcking notes :finger:

You need to take your sorry ass to anger management to rid yourself of the hate that you harbor for DP and Juventus, and come to the realization that come summer, we are all on the same side

I would suggest you go out and buy a punching bag to take your frustrations out on that, but I'm afraid the bag would kick the shit out of you !!! :howler: :finger: :finger:
Oh feel good now? :googly: :rolleyes: Listen to yourself you little twerp I have my opinion's and if you can't accept them then stiff you tool.Come summer If I don't like one of our players on our side then that's my problem so get used to it!. :googly: :tongue: :finger:

PS-The anger management is no use when I make you look like sh!t. :finger:Vinamn obviously the name of someone trying to seek attention.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bandiera said:
Oh feel good now? :googly: :rolleyes: Listen to yourself you little twerp I have my opinion's and if you can't accept them then stiff you tool.Come summer If I don't like one of our players on our side then that's my problem so get used to it dickweed!Obviously the punching bag has done a good job on your face by the looks of it. :googly: :tongue: :finger:

PS-The anger management is no use when I make you look like sh!t. :finger:Vinamn obviously the name of someone trying to seek attention.

this coming from a cafone , who uses the name "schumy", and probably had to use a word translator to find out what bandiera actually means

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Bandiera and Vinman: Cut out the insults.

Bandiera said:
Come summer If I don't like one of our players on our side then that's my problem so get used to it...

That's fine, and I'm sure we're all going to feel that way about one or two of the players. Just as long as it isn't for a silly reason such as because of the club he plays for.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Mikey said:
Bandiera and Vinman: Cut out the insults.

That's fine, and I'm sure we're all going to feel that way about one or two of the players. Just as long as it isn't for a silly reason such as because of the club he plays for.
Honestly has nothing to do with the club he plays for :smileani: Just my opinion that he won't stand up to do the business.I certainly hope I'm proven wrong and will support the whole NT,but that's just my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts