Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that of late Totti has been playing more and more up the field, more as an attacker than as a playmaker. In fact the last game I can remeber him playing as a real playmaker is against Bologna, which was the last game in which we played really good flowing football. He's getting the ball more rarely and also not passing nearly as well as we're used to seeing him. He may be scoring more goals that way but it's really hurting our overall play IMO. That also coincides with Cassano's huge drop in forms and means we are left with very little creativity, mostly coming from Mancini on the right wing, but he's still very inconsistent. Emerson and Dacourt are mostly DM, and the former is far from his best form offensively and that leaves us quite predictable and stale in most games, relying on some burst of indivudial briliance from Totti instead of a nice buildup play.

I think Capello should tell Totti to play further back, enabling him to receive more balls and get into a passing rhytm thus allowing him to control the pace of the game as he's done so many times before. His passing game can still improve a lot this season and playing further back should help him in that.

What do you think?

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
I've been thinking why our counter attack and overall play got so slow and you might have part of the answer just there. the other part, I think, is Cap's fascination with booting long passes up the field, to the right in particular, instead of building the attack.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Demandred said:
I've noticed that of late Totti has been playing more and more up the field, more as an attacker than as a playmaker. In fact the last game I can remeber him playing as a real playmaker is against Bologna, which was the last game in which we played really good flowing football. He's getting the ball more rarely and also not passing nearly as well as we're used to seeing him. He may be scoring more goals that way but it's really hurting our overall play IMO. That also coincides with Cassano's huge drop in forms and means we are left with very little creativity, mostly coming from Mancini on the right wing, but he's still very inconsistent. Emerson and Dacourt are mostly DM, and the former is far from his best form offensively and that leaves us quite predictable and stale in most games, relying on some burst of indivudial briliance from Totti instead of a nice buildup play.

I think Capello should tell Totti to play further back, enabling him to receive more balls and get into a passing rhytm thus allowing him to control the pace of the game as he's done so many times before. His passing game can still improve a lot this season and playing further back should help him in that.

What do you think?
I agree with you but this is because both Totti and Capello know that no one else is capable of scoring. Totti has 11 goals compared to only 4 goals each for Cassano and Carew. Cassano should be a trequartista rather than a second striker and I think Carew may be better off a winger, except John is not a very good passer. Roma may be better off using a (4-2-3-1) with Totti, Cassano, and Mancini behind Carew.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I have an idea!! What about letting Totti and Cassano switch places during the match. One of them in the classic trequartista, while the other one is a usual striker. This will allow us to get Totti's creativity, while we can at other times enjoy his clinical finishes! Totti is obviously enourmous in both positions, and it would also allow Cassano to earn some space between the midfield and their defence, as their main priority is keeping Totti away from dangerous positions.

Doesn't that sound good?

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agree with you but this is because both Totti and Capello know that no one else is capable of scoring.
But many of the Totti's goals have come after his runs from the midfield, he doesn't need to stay so far upfront to score IMO. Sure that way he can a few more goals but I prefer to have him as a playmaker still. If his passes start working like we've used to seeing him, I think Carew, Cassano and Montella would score a lot more. Talking about Montella, I recall that the games in which Totti played as a typical trequartista were those in which Montella played(against Brescia, Juve, Bologna to name a few), maybe when he returns we'll revert back to that strategy.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Nice thread. This discussion is long overdue.
At the beginning of the season, I was referring to something I called "the BS tridente.''
Well, I regret to say that we've relied on it too much, it's burnt out and our opponents have figured it out. We don't employ the classic trequista with a playmaker in front of two forward playing strikers. We seem to play with Cassano, and lately it's Carew, alongside our left midfielder (whose name I can't mention) to baby sit him and takes away from the potency of our attack. Carew should be a target man, hunting for goals near the box. Sure he's a good dribbler, but that don't mean he should be playing so far out. Again, the solution seems to call for D'Agostino's insertion on the left wing and Carew's realignment up front.
The placement of Totti and Cassano is a bit more complicated and I prefer to allow Francesco to play where he wants. I tend to agree w/ Demandred here that he excels most as a playmaker who shoots, but I see other's points that Cassano and even D'Ago could play there as well. A lot depends on the health of our strike force, particularly the injury-prone Montella, who we really, really miss. I think Delvecchio's days are numbered.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Why is Carew not being played more regularly? OK, he's not a great striker, but he's obviously good in the air and reasonably capable with his feet and, most importantly, you don't have any other fit striker. :confused: Capello seems to have an obsession with subbing him out at the earliest opportunity. Until Montella returns, why not play Carew as striker, Cassano supporting him up front and Totti doing what he does best as trequartista?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts