1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White Hart Lane
New Year's Day, 1 January
Kick-off: 1500 GMT

Spurs defender Noureddine Naybet is set to replace Anthony Gardner after recovering from an ankle injury.

But Spurs are still without Stephen Kelly and Thimothee Atouba due to ligament injuries.

Everton will be without goalkeeper Nigel Martyn (calf) for the first time in the Premiership for 16 months.

They will also be without the Duncan Ferguson (banned) while Steve Watson is doubtful with a stomach upset. Leon Osman (knee) faces a late fitness test.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Now that you posted the thread we should be back on our winning track, Spurs are going to be tough, yet I feel Wright will have an outstanding match. 1-0 Everton.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not looking promising:

Spurs 2 - Everton 0
What is it with all the London clubs uniting against us? :moan:

Some light at the end of the tunnel:
Spurs 2 - Everton 1 (Cahill) :relieved:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Came out in second half matching Spurs, but since they scored their third - we've fallen completley apart: 5-1. Tired performance by the team, and it looks likely our bad record at white harte lane will continue :(

Update: Consolation goal scored by James McFadden. 5-2.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Well done Spurs.

The decline starts now for Everton, can't see you finishing in a European spot no way

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SM ONLINE said:
Well done Spurs.

The decline starts now for Everton, can't see you finishing in a European spot no way
If we can get some players in from the market to give us backup - a European place will still be well within reach. At least this score may take some of the attention off the team; afterall - the same thing was said at the start of the season about us avoiding relegation, but what's happened since then?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Saturday, January 1, 2005

Tottenham 5-2 Everton: FT Report

PA

Tottenham youngster Dean Marney inspired his side to a 5-2 rout of Everton at White Hart Lane.

Tottenham goalscorer Dean Marney tangles with Alessandro Pistone. (MarkThompson/GettyImages)

Happy New Year for Marney

The midfielder was only playing because of injury to Michael Brown, but he scored twice - his second a spectacular individual effort - and had a hand in two other goals as Spurs stretched their unbeaten run to seven games.

Reto Ziegler, Robbie Keane and Pedro Mendes also scored, while Tim Cahill gave his side hope with a strike just before half-time and James McFadden scored a late consolation - but the day belonged to Marney.

Marney ensured Everton's jinx against London side's continued - their five defeats in the league coming against London teams - and dented David Moyes' hopes of Champions League qualification.

Fourth before the game, the Toffees have now lost consecutive games - and it is Spurs who are looking at a high finish.

Spurs striker Jermain Defoe missed the clash with a knee injury and the game missed his attacking edge in the opening stages.

With passes misplaced and attacking opportunities wasted, Marney was desperate to get himself in the game and clattered into the back of Pistone after 13 minutes.

The foul sparked the visitors' first real attack, Joseph Yobo nearly setting up a close-range chance for Cahill - but Noureddine Naybet, who returned from injury for the clash - managed to clear.

Marney then seized the game and scored the opener after 15 minutes. Mendes' lofted ball from the halfway line was flicked on by Keane - and Marney lifted the ball over Richard Wright and into the top corner.

Wright was deputising for Nigel Martyn, his first league start in 15 months, and the former Arsenal stopper saw plenty of attacks form in front of him.

Spurs then looked to dominate, with Frederic Kanoute's powerful run on the right five minutes after the goal stopped as Joseph Yobo used his pace to catch the Mali forward.

Marney has played at full-back for the Spurs in his handful of first-team appearances, but he was warming to his midfield role on the right and cut inside when possible.

In the 24th minute he had a shout for a penalty when Pistone hauled him down in the penalty area - but referee Steve Dunn waved play on despite the player's protest.

Everton nearly grabbed an equaliser in the very move when Tony Hibbert found room on the right wing. The full-back crossed and Naybet's clearance trickled just wide of Paul Robinson's post.

Spurs took advantage of this stroke of luck and added a second goal in the 27th minute. Erik Edman's throw from the left was flicked on by Kanoute and Reto Ziegler volleyed on the turn into Wright's far corner.

Inspired by Keane, Jol's side attacked with pace but could not find another opening.

Everton were struggling for form attacks, but almost grabbed one back eight minutes from half-time when Lee Carsley headed over from 12 yards after Marcus Bent's flick.

However, they were not to be denied two minutes later when the home side failed to deal with Pistone's hopeful punt. Cahill latched onto another Bent flick and finished low past Robinson to give his side hope of retrieving the game as they went into the break.

Within a minute of the second period kicking off, Hibbert curled in a wicked cross from the right and Kevin Kilbane was off target with the header.

The game was being played at a furious pace and either team could have grabbed the fourth goal of the game - but it was Spurs who came close next.

In the 54th minute Gravesen had to receive treatment for what appeared to be a dislocated finger - and Spurs nearly took full advantage. Edman found room in the penalty area and drilled a cross-shot that Wright did well to tip around the post.

Four minutes later Mendes produced a moment of magic with a spectacular finish from the edge of the area. Kanoute had tamed a cross from the right and laid the ball off to the Portugal midfielder, who checked back onto his favoured right foot and gave Wright no chance by finding the top corner with a precise finish.

McFadden tried to help Bent out, but no clear-cut chances were created as the game moved into the final quarter.

However Keane added a fourth after 67 minutes with a simple finish after Marney had nutmegged Pistone and delivered a low cross.

Moyes responded by making a triple change - Lee Osman, Kevin Campbell and Gary Naysmith on for Pistone, Kilbane and Bent - but the substitutions could not halt Tottenham's surge.

In the 73rd minute Ziegler went on a run on the left and Wright had to be down at his near post to save. Three minutes later Kanoute almost added a fifth but Wright again was down smartly.

King nearly added a late goal but headed over from a corner with 10 minutes remaining.

However, Marney then wrapped the victory after picking up the ball from 40 yards and hitting a curling a fantastic 25-yarder around Wright.

Happy New Year for Marney

Tottenham match-winner Dean Marney only found out he was playing today after a phone call late last night, head coach Martin Jol revealed.

Marney hit two goals and set up another as Spurs routed Everton 5-2 at White Hart Lane - but his boss feared the youngster was partying to celebrate the new year when he called just before midnight.

Jol said: 'I phoned him yesterday just before 12 O'clock,' Jol said. 'I wasn't sure because with young players you never know with the celebrations and fireworks.

'So I phoned him and he had his voicemail on, so I had a sneaky feeling he was at a party. But he called me back and said no (he wasn't).

'He was at home, he almost was asleep and said he almost put his phone out. So I appreciate that.'

Marney scored the opener when he raced through and lobbed Everton goalkeeper Richard Wright and Reto Ziegler added a second before Tim Cahill pulled one back.

Goals from Robbie Keane, Pedro Mendes and a final spectacular strike from Marney sealed the win before James McFadden grabbed a consolation.

It was Spurs' finest win of the season, according to Jol, who said: 'You have to put everything in perspective, Southampton was terrific for us because we had not scored five goals at home before.

'This is the second one and overall, after 90 minutes, we played our best football.

'I'm a bit lucky because yesterday we were worried because Jermain Defoe couldn't play and Michael Brown couldn't play, they said there was a worry.

'But I said to other people 'I know Dean Marney and he's a terrific talent, he's a complete player.'

'It's his first home game for the club and scoring two goals and make another one is amazing, it's a real achievement for a young boy.

'The first goal was decisive, he knew exactly what he was doing. The second goal, he looked up and banged it in the corner, so I'm pleased with him.

Everton boss David Moyes was disappointed with his side's performance and believed strikers Fredi Kanoute and Keane gave Spurs the edge.

Moyes said: 'I thought we looked maybe the more liable to get an equaliser at that period but we were always under pressure from Tottenham, their forwards were hard work today for us.

'I thought their forwards were the biggest difference in the game,' added Moyes, who was without injured keeper Nigel Martyn and centre-back Alan Stubbs.

'We brought in good players, Joseph Yobo is a terrific player as is Richard Wright, so it shouldn't have been as big a problem as it was today.

'I don't know how well Tottenham are playing but I know that wasn't as good as we can play, that's for sure.

'We're sore and we know we haven't done as well as we should have done, but we're still lying healthy and we'll plough on and try to get some more points.'

Everton retained fourth spot despite the defeat, and could now bolster their squad in the January transfer window.

The club have bid for James Beattie but it uncertain if the Southampton striker will be signed.

'I don't like talking about players at other clubs, it's not right to do so,' he added.

soccernet

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Was Nigel Martyn the difference? Probably not because the defending was terrible- Spurs should have had 8 or 9. And Lmao @ the Everton fans who went crazy when McFadden made it 5-2 in the 86th min...what was that all about?

Think the downfall began for Everton with that loss at Charlton, but you could never have expected a better start to a season after the opening day of the season. Some achievement reaching 40pts before 2005.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts