Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tottenham Hotspur completed the
signing of Dinamo Kiev striker Sergei Rebrov for a club record fee of 11 million pounds ($17 million), the English Premiership soccer
club said.

Ukraine international Rebrov, 25, agreed on a five-year contract after passing a medical examination, Tottenham said.
He'll return to the Ukraine to await a work permit before joining up with his new teammates.
``I can't see there being a problem with the work permit,''said Tottenham Press Officer Jay Bigwood. ``I think the guy will
want a holiday so he probably won't return to London until the pre-season games.''

The transfer eclipses Tottenham's previous club record purchase of Les Ferdinand for 6 million pounds in July 1997. It
also completes the exodus of Kiev's successful strike partnership of Rebrov and Andrei Shevchenko, who left for AC Milan at the end of last season.

The pair scored 14 goals in the 1997-98 Champions League and 18 in the following season's competition, with Rebrov netting
eight in both campaigns. He scored 10 in this season's Champions League. Rebrov, a two-time Ukrainian player of the year, has 10
goals in 32 international matches.

Tottenham finished 10th in the English Premiership standings this season and lost in the second round of the UEFA Cup. The club
has been trying to sign a top-class striker since German legend Juergen Klinsmann left two years ago.
``This is a very positive step because he is a world class player,'' said Tottenham Director of Football David Pleat. ``I am
very much looking forward to seeing Sergei in a Spurs shirt.''

1 - 3 of 3 Posts