Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Tottenham will be looking for six successive Premiership wins as they host Crystal Palace.

Spurs are in as good a form as any team in England at the moment and they will fancy their chances against a Palace side who have not won since October.

Tottenham, though, do not have the greatest record against other capital-based teams this season and have failed to win any of their five London derbies so far.

Coming off the back of their win over Norwich, Tottenham are expected to make changes.

Jermain Defoe was surprisingly left on the bench at Carrow Road, but he should be reinstated to the starting line-up.

There is concern over the fitness of Thimothee Atouba who has a foot problem and young Swiss star Reto Ziegler is on stand-by to replace him.

Simon Davies and Sean Davis are still absent from the midfield, where Michael Brown - who scored the winner at Norwich - is expected to keep his place.

Palace boss Iain Dowie has limited resources and only so many options are available to him.

He was pleased with the way his side played last time out, even though they went down 1-0 to Portsmouth.

Not too many changes can be expected, but Emmerson Boyce may be recalled after being rested for the Pompey clash.

Skysports.com prediction: 2-1
Hard to see anything other than a win for in-form Spurs.
- Sky Sports

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a tricky one. I remember when I went to White Hart Lane last time and we lost. I can see us either nicking something, or getting beat quite bad; which is a shame as a few weeks ago I felt as though we had enough team spirit to beat anybody. I just think they have several players that will be on their game. They haven't lost for a while and even rested Jermain Defoe for a large period of the Norwich game and still won.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It's going to be tricky alright, maybe we'll raise our game. We've still got the spirit in the side, it's just the lack of quality that's the problem.

Joonas Kolkka is a doubt, he got kicked in the back near the end of the Portsmouth game and may have some rib damage. As the sky article say's,Boyce may replace Butterfield at right back.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Line ups

1 Paul Robinson : Gabor Kiraly 28
17 Noe Pamarot : Danny Butterfield 2
26 Ledley King : Fitz Hall 25
14 Erik Edman : Gonzalo Sorondo 26
30 Anthony Gardner : Danny Granville 3
27 Rohan Ricketts : Wayne Routledge 7
11 Michael Brown : Tom Soares 19
23 Michael Carrick : Aki Riihilahti 15
16 Reto Ziegler : Michael Hughes 17
18 Jermain Defoe : Vassilis Lakis 32
9 Frederic Kanoute : Andrew Johnson 8

SUBS
15 Jamie Redknapp : Wayne Andrews 23
25 Marton Fulop : Julian Speroni 1
10 Robbie Keane : Mikele Leigertwood 12
19 Calum Davenport : Sandor Torghelle 10
8 Miguel Pedro Mendes : Emmerson Boyce 21

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ht 0-0

Palace were well in the game in the first half, created a lot of decent chances too by the sound of it. Spurs will probably get a rocket at half time.

·
Registered
46,406 Posts
Andrew Johnson drives his shot low and hard at Robinson's goal and it bobbles past the Tottenham keeper to bring Palace level. :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Full time 1-1

ToniSamp said:
Andrew Johnson drives his shot low and hard at Robinson's goal and it bobbles past the Tottenham keeper to bring Palace level. :)

Nice Toni,nice:thmbup:
I hate listening to the game on the radio, we scored while they were away at another game :scared: :stress: :tongue:

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was a great game to be at live. Edge of your seat action the whole way through. First I thought we'd win, then I saw Defoe score and Spurs playing better. THEN I saw us score, THEN I thought Defoe might score again. Great game.

We should have really took our chances in the first half, really. If we did, we could have won by two or more goals.

The good thing is that AJ is scoring again and we can take this to Craven Cottage. Last time we drew before a game against Fulham we beat them so maybe that's a sign. I at least hope so :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tottenham 1-1 Crystal Palace: FT Report

PA

Andrew Johnson wrecked Tottenham's hopes of a record sixth straight league win with a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw for Crystal Palace.

Michael Carrick launches into a tackle on Aki Riihilahti. (ShaunBotterill/GettyImages)

After struggling to contain the visitors in the first half, Spurs were much stronger after the break and took a deserved lead through Jermain Defoe's 20-yarder shortly after half-time.

Dowie lays down the gauntlet

The goal came during Spurs' best spell of the match - but they failed to score a second goal and Johnson made them pay with a low 22-yard shot that beat Paul Robinson for the striker's 10th league goal of the season.

Although Palace did not perform well enough in the second half to merit that goal, Iain Dowie's side bettered their hosts in the opening period and for those efforts their draw was deserved.

Spurs coach Martin Jol may regret his decision to make substantial changes for this match when he reflects on how the three points eluded his team.

Tottenham made four alterations to the team that won at Norwich on Boxing Day, with Jol recalling Defoe, Anthony Gardner, Rohan Ricketts and Reto Ziegler.

Robbie Keane and Pedro Mendes dropped to the bench while Thimothee Atouba (foot) and Nourredine Naybet missed out.

Joonas Kolkka (rib) and Ben Watson were left out of the Palace line-up, with Tom Soares and Vassilis Lakis coming in.

It was Palace who made the brighter start. In the second minute Danny Butterfield's cross only just eluded Johnson and was scrambled behind, before Johnson had a goal ruled out seven minutes later.

Lakis' 20-yard shot was not gathered by Robinson and the former Birmingham striker clipped the loose ball home, but Spurs were saved by the linesman's flag.

The home side's best chance came through Ziegler, whose 25-yard effort deflected off Gonzalo Sorondo and flew narrowly wide, while skipper Ledley King - making his 150th Spurs start - had to make a fine tackle to prevent Soares from having a shot on goal.

In the 24th minute Lakis was released down the left and drove the ball across the six-yard box - but Johnson failed narrowly to supply the final touch.

Spurs were improving and almost took the lead in the 28th minute. Michael Brown's 30-yard effort deflected into the path of Fredi Kanoute and the Mali international's strike from 20 yards was pushed around the left post by Gabor Kiraly.

Kanoute showed wonderful skill to control Brown's lofted pass on his chest and evade Fitz Hall moments later, but his powerful shot was straight at Kiraly.

However, Palace continued to be positive and Lakis wasted a wonderful opportunity after 34 minutes, failing to hit the target from 16 yards following some neat approach work by the visitors.

Dowie's men took heart and, after Aki Riihilahti had headed Wayne Routledge's corner straight at Robinson, Johnson somehow failed to put his side in front five minutes before the break.

Teed up by Lakis, Johnson took two touches before shooting from six yards, allowing Robinson to make a superb save to keep the score level.

Mendes replaced the ineffective Ricketts for the second half, and gave Spurs more presence and purpose in midfield.

Brown's left-foot shot from 20 yards was well saved by Kiraly shortly after the break and, in the 53rd minute, Defoe saw his strike from the edge of the area pushed on to the left post by the Hungarian goalkeeper before the ball was cleared by Butterfield.

But Spurs' top scorer was not to be denied and he gave his side the lead from an almost-identical position a minute later.

Collecting a chipped pass from Erik Edman, Defoe struck a right-foot shot beyond Kiraly that went in off the right post.

Kanoute thought he had made it 2-0 just after the hour mark, but his close-range finish from Defoe's through-ball was ruled out for offside, while England striker Defoe saw two more fierce efforts saved by Kiraly as Spurs took control.

Spurs appeared to be cruising towards their sixth straight win, but they were shocked 11 minutes from time when Johnson equalised.

The lively frontman was given too much room 25 yards from goal and he punished Spurs by cracking a right-foot shot into Robinson's right corner for his 10th goal of the season.

Defoe escaped Sorondo on the edge of the box a minute from time, but his sizzling low drive went inches past Kiraly's left post - and Palace held on for their point.

Dowie lays down the gauntlet

Crystal Palace manager Iain Dowie has challenged striker Andrew Johnson to emulate the achievements of Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Dowie believes Johnson has the talent to match the consistency in front of goal that players like Arsenal frontman Henry and Manchester United's Van Nistelrooy have managed for some seasons.

'Andrew has scored goals for two seasons in a row, and I see no reason why he can't continue to do so throughout his career,' said Dowie. 'I see more to come in his game.

'People talk about Van Nistelrooy, (Wayne) Rooney and Henry, but this season Johnson is up there with them all.

'But Andrew has a long way to go. I am not going to put him in the same bracket as Henry and Van Nistelrooy yet, because they have scored goals season after season.

'That is the mark of consistent Premiership strikers - but there is no reason why Andrew cannot carry on scoring goals.'

He continued: 'We had clear opportunities in the first half, and it is not often that you come to a place like White Hart Lane and dominate possession.

'We played very well and dictated the play, and we needed that goal before half time - but we didn't get it.

'At half time we talked about maintaining our resolve, but we gave away a few silly set-pieces that gave Spurs a bit of momentum - and Defoe did what he does best.

'He is a master of his art.'

Tottenham head coach Martin Jol said: 'I thought we were terrific from the start of the second half until the 75th minute - but you have to score two goals when you have those periods.

'Palace did not have many chances in the second half, but then they scored out of the blue.

'It is a bad draw, because if you play as well as we did at times in the second half then you should make the most of that.

'But having said that, Palace could have been one or two goals up at half time.'

soccernet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts