Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has claimed that Newcastle have made an offer for him.

The Spain international, who has scored 11 goals in 26 La Liga games this season, had been linked to a number of top clubs in the January transfer widow amid widespread speculation about his future.

Premiership sides Chelsea and Tottenham have both reportedly been interested in the past, but Torres has now revealed that he is only aware of one firm bid for him.

The 21-year-old, tipped to leave Spain in the summer, says that he knows about the approach because Atletico chiefs recently informed him.

Newcastle's inspirational captain Alan Shearer is set to hang up his boots at the end of this season and the club are sure to be on the look-out for a replacement forward.

"There's always been talk about lots of clubs but I only know about one firm offer and that's from Newcastle because the club confirmed it to me," Torres told The Sun.

"I've never thought about listening to offers from anyone. I consider Atletico my home and I'm happy but you can't always be certain about what may happen."

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Seems like the sun dragging up old news to me. We bid for him last summer incase the Owen deal didn't go through. I don't see how we can be linked to all of these players when we don't have a manager. Don't get me wrong if we could get someone as good as Torres to replace Big Al I would be delighted, but surely the new manager will decide the best replacement?

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Red Bed said:
Another stunt to let United in, ala Rooney. :pp ;)
Perhaps its one big conspiracy theory! We're also being linked with a move for RVN this morning, we help get you Torres, in return we get RVN :eekani:;)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I don't think this will happen unless Atletico wants to sell him and it's not the case. Torres admited that Newcastle were the only ones who made a serious offer for him. But I think he was refering to the past, not now.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Where do Newcastle get the money from? Does Shepherd have a secret stash some where?
And is Torres trying to flush out other suitors and using newcastle as a smokescreen?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I would be very surprised if Shep spent anymore money on bringing players in because the club simply are not winning.

With Boumsong, Owen, Luque et al been brought in for big money with absolutely no return I think he will be telling the next manager (Roeder or not) that they will need to get them either silveware with what they have or European Football in 2006/07.

Torres! I doubt that he will come to Newcastle, bla, doubt it :D

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
panicos said:
Where do Newcastle get the money from? Does Shepherd have a secret stash some where?
And is Torres trying to flush out other suitors and using newcastle as a smokescreen?
He says he's got business interests and that, but he really, really, really, is bleeding this club dry.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
This story is so false its unreal, he made a press conference in which he was saying he was staying with Atletico and said that the only offer he has ever had was from Newcastle in JAN transfer window!

·
Registered
467 Posts
maradona10 said:
I would be very surprised if Shep spent anymore money on bringing players in because the club simply are not winning.
I can't believe people still believe this. Shepherd is Chairman, but doesn't spend his own money on players. Shepherd MAKES money off of Newcastle through his shares and dividends.

He's not even the majority shareholder.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Do we even have enough money? We did spend a lot in the summer?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
As if! wot a load of bolox! like he's gonna join a mid table Prem club who have a load of donkeys (Booooomsong, Titus!!!) and rapests!
Dream on!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
nice sig Vaughany :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Vaughany said:
As if! wot a load of bolox! like he's gonna join a mid table Prem club who have a load of donkeys (Booooomsong, Titus!!!) and rapests!
Dream on!
Excellent contribution. :thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes:

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Vaughany said:
Dream on!
Rapests are the worst. Just go around rapping at random people in the street. :( Apparently Alan Shearer is into it big style, once he retires there's only Ramage who does it. Reckon he'd give up without alpha male support.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts