Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


Are they still in existence?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,611 Posts
What I'd like to know is was the magazine $1 or were the tickets to the game that price? :tongue: cuz if they were man have prices gone up for soccer in the last 30 years hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,102 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
its a good league, much better than in previous years
I know it wasn't much better than the A league, which is where the Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto Lynx and Montreal Impact play. The only difference was some MLS teams had bigger name international players. And the A League isn't much better then the Vancouver Metro League which the Vancouver Whitecaps get most of their players from and where Vancouver Croatia play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69,083 Posts
I don't know....I used to dislike the MLS so much when it first came into existance but now I am a fan of it, they are pretty good games but the announcers of the games don't know shit and annoy the hell out of me.
 

·
Keyboard Hero
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
I don't know....I used to dislike the MLS so much when it first came into existance but now I am a fan of it, they are pretty good games but the announcers of the games don't know shit and annoy the hell out of me.
I almost got suspended by school in an argument over the colours and naming of teams for MLS.

I agrued for the traditional and 'ethnic' side of it, and the other teacher said I was wrong and I exploded.

Look who's turned out right.

It's really turning itself into a good and watchable league though those announcers are just terrible. We've been too spoilt with the English announcers, who pronounce the language the way it's supposed to be pronounced.

And the current Toronto 'Croatia' ie, Jamaica, is an utter insult to that great team from the 70's.

Cheersch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69,083 Posts
for you Canadians, Ante Jazic might sign with Red Bull NY

about the names Ljubo, I don't mind them except for Real Salt Lake, thats just stupid and hopefully we don't start naming clubs like: Arsenal Rochester, Ajax San Francisco and Barcelona NY, you know after well known clubs

But I'm OK with DC United, FC Dallas, Dynamo Houston is fine, Red Bull NY is fine
 

·
Keyboard Hero
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
for you Canadians, Ante Jazic might sign with Red Bull NY

about the names Ljubo, I don't mind them except for Real Salt Lake, thats just stupid and hopefully we don't start naming clubs like: Arsenal Rochester, Ajax San Francisco and Barcelona NY, you know after well known clubs

But I'm OK with DC United, FC Dallas, Dynamo Houston is fine, Red Bull NY is fine
I agree that it can go too far,and 'Real Salt Lake' is waaaaay too far.

But I'd still prefer most of the names to 'the Crew' and 'the Galaxy' and the topper 'the Mutiny'. NOTHING irks me more thatn those colours and names.

I still think New England blew it by not naming themselves Oneida FC or St. Pat's or something.

I think the new Toronto team will use St. Pat's. MLSE already has rights for the name, and they'll surely need a way to get the merchandising going, and what better way than to utilize North Americans' ancestor dilemma where 1/3 people have some sort of perceived (Catholic/Celtic) Irish roots.

Cheersch

ps. I still think it's a great name. Way to get one back for ol' Conn Smythe, after the Protestants forced him to change his club's name to 'Maple Leafs'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,611 Posts
If they name the team St Pats they should organize another trip for Glascow Rangers to come down to Toronto and set up a game between them :cool: :thumbsup:
 

·
Keyboard Hero
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
CroatTommy said:
If they name the team St Pats they should organize another trip for Glascow Rangers to come down to Toronto and set up a game between them :cool: :thumbsup:
Seeing the support and the passion that Celtic got here first hand, I'd bet the St. Pat's, if so named would be an institution in Toronto sports immediately.

I hope they use it.

Cheersch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,611 Posts
Ljubuski said:
Seeing the support and the passion that Celtic got here first hand, I'd bet the St. Pat's, if so named would be an institution in Toronto sports immediately.

I hope they use it.

Cheersch
Ya it's a good name Ljubuski, would be a team I could see myself supporting at least casually.
 

·
Keyboard Hero
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
HajdukSplit said:
I heard its going to be a basic name, like Toronto FC or something like that
Not a bad name either.

Just ANYTHIHG other than the 'Rock' or 'Raptors' or something juvenile, geared to sell to children who haven't developed enough wits to realize the insanity of such, university educated, market driven, hip-hop orientated garbage that's doing it's share to ruin the work ethic around here.

Cheersch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,166 Posts
Ljubuski said:
Not a bad name either.

Just ANYTHIHG other than the 'Rock' or 'Raptors' or something juvenile, geared to sell to children who haven't developed enough wits to realize the insanity of such, university educated, market driven, hip-hop orientated garbage that's doing it's share to ruin the work ethic around here.

Cheersch
How about Toronto Jamaica? :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Top