Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for something else and found this information. Quality really is not quantity, is it?

1. The Eagles-Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 28 million albums sold to date

2. Michael Jackson Thriller 26 million

3. Pink Floyd-The Wall 23 million

4. Led Zeppelin-IV 22 million

5. Billy Joel-Greatest Hits Volumes I-II 21 million

6. Fleetwood Mac-Rumours 19 million

7. AC/DC-Back In Black 19 million

8. The Beatles-1967-1970 (Blue) 19 million

9. Shania Twain-Come On Over 19 million

10. Alanis Morrisette-Jagged Little Pill 17 million

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyway, some random thoughts on these big sellers.
1. The Eagles. To paraphrase Jesse Jackson, we can do better brohters and sisters!
2. MJ. I'm guessing this one will be holding at 26 million for the forseeable future. Kids, I recall a time when parents actually purchased this for their children.
3. Pink Floyd. Do they still do Laserium shows? As long as they do, and the weather keeps being wet and rainy in Humboldt County, there will still be a market for The Wall.
4. Led Zep. See #4.
5. Billy Joel. Billy Joel? Seriously? Was Hootie held up at the airport with Huey Lewis and the News?
6. Fleetwood Mac. I like this one. Shoot me. Its like the Blue Monday of the generation previous to mine. Plus, they had the second best Behind The Music of all time, after Styx.
7. AC/DC. I like this one too. Well the first four songs, anyway. Even Celine Dionne could not ruin this, and Lord how she tried.
8. The Beatles. I cannot say anything bad about them, except, $30 for The White album on CD? Does it double as some sort of sex toy? I know Lennon and McCartney were great songwriters, but I didn't think they could do all that.
9. Shania Twain. I know of her, but have never heard a song. What, outside her looks and the fact she is married to Mutt Lange (or is it Tim McGraw?), got her to 19K? Is this country music?
10. Alanis Morissette. After the first three million people who actually liked the album and the two million who enjoyed the "naughty" fellatio reference and the 100,000 who were intrigued by her misuderstanding of the word IRONIC and the cool dozen who loved You Can't Do That On Television (forza Alastair!), what were the rest of these people thinking? I am sure it is a very convenient coaster and keeps water-rings off of the fine IKEA sidetables in a many a home today.

·
Banned
734 Posts
Heather said:
I was looking for something else and found this information. Quality really is not quantity, is it?

1. The Eagles-Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 28 million albums sold to date

2. Michael Jackson Thriller 26 million

3. Pink Floyd-The Wall 23 million

4. Led Zeppelin-IV 22 million

5. Billy Joel-Greatest Hits Volumes I-II 21 million

6. Fleetwood Mac-Rumours 19 million

7. AC/DC-Back In Black 19 million

8. The Beatles-1967-1970 (Blue) 19 million

9. Shania Twain-Come On Over 19 million

10. Alanis Morrisette-Jagged Little Pill 17 million
the wall is probley the best one out of there

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Jagged Little Pill? Desperate Housewifes!

Surprised, definitely. I expected DSOTM to be there instead of the Wall.

that's like what you'd expect to see in Alan Partridge's record collection.
"What's your favourite Beatle's album?"
"I'd have to say... The Best of the Beatles."

·
Registered
576 Posts
PJ - Ten? and Nevermind?? I reckon most of them are quite good though I don't like seeing Shania Twain on that list.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
nikhils said:
PJ - Ten? and Nevermind?? I reckon most of them are quite good though I don't like seeing Shania Twain on that list.
Ten sold around 12M copies in the US and Nevermind 10M. Anyway, who really cares about this? There are bands who sold shit, like The Ramones or The Pixies, who were amazing and very influential. I couldn't care less about Eagles selling a billion albums...

When i saw this list, I was surprised about Shania Twain, I didn't think she had ever sold that much. I also thought that Thriller was the most sold album ever... maybe it was not counting compilations.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Heather said:
4. Led Zep. See #4.
You wanna explain this one? It is #4, so why "See #4"?

Anyway, who cares how many were sold? The list isn't complete crap though. The Beatles were great and so were Zeppelin. Some of the Eagles stuff is alright too and while I'm not the biggest PF fan, they're alright. The rest of the list is bad though. However it seems a bit outdated.

·
40,147 Posts
.BLAUGRANA. said:
You wanna explain this one? It is #4, so why "See #4"?

Anyway, who cares how many were sold? The list isn't complete crap though. The Beatles were great and so were Zeppelin. Some of the Eagles stuff is alright too and while I'm not the biggest PF fan, they're alright. The rest of the list is bad though. However it seems a bit outdated.
Do you think is outdated? Who sold more than Shania Twain (I guess it is the most modern album of that list) in the last 6 or 7 years?

I can not remember any album which sold more than 19 million copies (in the US). Dracula gave a link dated in February 2006 and the most modern albums are Supernatural by Santana (15M), which was released at the end of the 90s, if I'm not wrong; the first CD of Britney Spears, similar in date; Millenium by the BSB, also similar in date; Human Clay by (eerm) Creed, also end of the 90s; No strings attached by NSYNC, also 5 or 6 years ago;...

Seeing that list, the only rock (let's accept it's rock) CD in the 2000s, with at least 10M in sellings is Hybryd Theory by Linkin Park and it was also long ago.

I couldn't care less, but don't you notice there are not "stars" anymore? Not even in pop music. I don't know if it's because of internet PSP downloads or because industry makes use and waste pop artists or rock music lacks big personalities or rappers don't reach people as much as the other music or all together.

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
FiveMagics said:
Where the hell is Black Sabbath?
Ehm... although Sabbath released about a thousand albums I don't think they sold very many of them.....

And I always thought Dark Side sold more than the Wal....

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
The Eagles? Christ!

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Koeman4 said:
When i saw this list, I was surprised about Shania Twain, I didn't think she had ever sold that much. I also thought that Thriller was the most sold album ever... maybe it was not counting compilations.
Like someone said, this list is USA only. with the international one, expect Britney Spears to be higher ;) Also, Dire Straits is much higher there :cool:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The more an artist sells, the more crap he is. This is because there are much more people with bad taste in the world, then there are people with good taste.

Likewise, the less an artist sells, the better he is. This is why no-one has ever heard of the best artists in the world.

It's true.

·
40,147 Posts
enola said:
The more an artist sells, the more crap he is. This is because there are much more people with bad taste in the world, then there are people with good taste.

Likewise, the less an artist sells, the better he is. This is why no-one has ever heard of the best artists in the world.

It's true.
Does it make me one of the best artists ever? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts