Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Observer put together a list of the top 6 games to grace the premiership since inception.

The Observer includes last Tuesday's match as one of the best six in the Premiership. 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 loses to us.

1) 1 Feb 2005 ARSENAL 2 MAN UNITED 4

For once the Sky commentator's standard hyperbole was justified; you could not take your eyes off this game.

2) 3 Apr 1996 LIVERPOOL 4 NEWCASTLE 3

The original and best of two identical results in two seasons. Collymore scores a last-minute winner, Keegan volunteers to quit rather than play cautiously for a draw.

3) 4 Jan 1994 LIVERPOOL 3 MAN UNITED 3

United race to a three-goal lead inside 24 minutes, Liverpool show all their old grit in hauling them back.

4) 12 Apr 2003 NEWCASTLE 2 MAN UNITED 6

The result and performance that put the wind up Arsenal. United go top for first time all season, and stay there.

5) 14 Mar 1998 MAN UNITED 0 ARSENAL 1

Arsenal complete double over United en route to double of their own in Wenger's first full season. Schmeichel tears hamstring chasing United's lost cause at a late corner.

6) 20 Oct 1996 NEWCASTLE 5 MAN UNITED 0

The most dazzling of all Keegan's false dawns. United came back to win title by seven points.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oi, you lazy gits what do you think about this list then;)

how does it line up with your list of top matches since 92/93.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
i would have thought the 5-3 win against tottenham would have featured. it may not have been oozing with quality, but it was one hell of a comeback and most definately exciting

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
True. I remember watching that game. At half time my friends (who are Liverpool fans btw) were making fun of me, but I was confident that we would come back. I guess Man U teams of that period had that certain aura of invincibility about them that no matter what the scoreline was, you expected them to come back and win.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
King of the Kop said:
Last weeks Manure-Arsenal better than Liverpool-Newcastle 4-3 match, My arse.

For some reason, i think 'King of the Kop' might be a bit biased. Iduuno why, justva feeling I get.

In our defense, we did go a goal down twice and finished with 10 men, and had a sustitute defender score in the last minute and effectively ended arsenal's title hopes for the season.

There certainly have been some good game man utd have been in. The tottenham 5-3 game was awesome. For some reason, i cant really remember the 6-2 newcastle game. Is it just me, or is it not as great as some of the others.

One game that does stick in my mind was the man utd arsenal at old trafford when man utd won 6-1, with dwight yorke scoring a hat trick. I remember walking down angel market in islington at half time. I think we were 4-1 up and the arsenal fan's in the market reaction to result was classic. They couldn't believe their ears!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
the top game deserves to be nominated the best. It had everything. An early goal, plenty of controversy, superb football, more great goals, a sending off and then a season burner of a result. To top it all off, the look on Wenger's face was absolutely priceless!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts