Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats where we are. If France wins the Euro we are third in Europe. Our FIFA Ranking should sky rocket and we should be ready for the WC qual's. Who should we play as a friendly opponent in August?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree 100% Marco, I would say we are #2 or #3. I still feel Coelho gave France too much respect, I feel we should have started an attacking formation, with Bento our only defensive mid, and Sergio comin back to support. We all know how good he is at playing a two way game!
But all in all, we had a great championship!!!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
i'm sweating on the disciplinary hearing.

Nuno Gomes will be made an example of and is likely to receive an 8 match ban.

Figo will probably also be banned for walking off. (governing bodies hate this anti-establishment rebelliousness more even than extreme violence by players).

If this happens we should pull out of the WC in protest and attempt to expose the corruption at the top of football.

The chief-exec of uefa, Gergard Aigner, had openly said that he wanted a france - holland final.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8 matches.....ouch....can we win without him?I don't think that FIGO will be banned......Perhaps Sa Pinto back up front?

Santamaria your right.....our chances at 2002 are looking slim now.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh my...I forgot about the lone representative from the Azores....yes..by all means...use Pauleta and drop Sa Pinto from the squad and replace him with Domingos.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nelson I don't want to quarrel now (we fight only during the season remember :)) It was just a comment that Pauleta is from the Azores...no insult intended! My girlfriend is from the Azores dude! I ain't got nothing against you guys! We all play under the same flag :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Marco,

That comment was completely uncalled for and irrelevant. You are right, we do play under the same flag, so I ask why bother with that riduculous sarcasm. You can't tell me that Sa Pinto is a better finisher than Pauleta! I don't care where they are from, club or birth, if they are portuguese then the best player should get the shot!

FORCA PORUGAL

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think you are understanding me. I meant no insult/joke/pun by sayin Azores. I don't give a spit where anyone is from as long as its from Portugal. Dude all I am saying is that Pauleta is the only player on our team from the Azores so I called him the lone represantative from the Azores. Its like as if the Montreal Expos had a Quebecois player the journalists would say that he is the lone representative from Quebec. Geez....don't freak!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay,

Right now I am very distraught, and short fused; so I took the comment as a cheap shot. It sounded sarcastic and condescending, remember the written form of communciation leaves little room for interpretation. And I am all for dropping Sa and bringing in Domingos!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok *phew* so we are finally on the same page......I can see FIGO getting a *maximum* 2 match ban and an 8 match Gomes ban is very likely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If UEFA goes and bans Gomes for 8 games, then I am boycotting international football. A red card should get one game suspension, maybe two-but 8! come on that is practically our entire qualifying campaign!

I can't see them screwing us twice in a week.....wait yes I can!

S

·
0 Posts
I'm from the Azores myself.....Sao Miguel as a matter of fact same island as Pauleta! Not that it matters but I just thought I'd throw that in! Suspend Nuno Gomes that's ridiculous for blown call on the ref's part!!! So they make the mistake we argue the call and they suspend us on top of everything! What is this the Times of Salazar the portuguese dictator! I guess Fifa hates to be wrong and if someone goes against them then it's fine them or suspend them! I'm not one to act a fool over a blown call but I don't blame Figo for walking off or Nuno for yelling til he got a red card.....The whole team should have taken off their shirts and walked off!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am sick to my stomach. The only thing I have to look foward to is WC2002. I hope to GOD that Uefa steps back and realizes that two big calls went against us.........................and they shouldn't proclaim who they want in the final!!!!!they should be banned. High ranking officials can't make stupid comments like that. Nuno should only get 1 or 2 games. I am so angry right know that i would use violence if i was looked in the room with a certain few people..that said i hope this post will not make it to my trial......now on to the wc with the same group of players..........I am proud to be PORTUGUESE.great job guys making this a very fun 2 weeks for me. P.S I'll get over it it just seems i have nowhere to vent my anger. I just moved here to boston. My fiancee doesn't know a soccer ball from a new pair of shoes. My friends are gun ho american football fans and couldn't care a lick about soccer. I couldn't see the final 10 minutes because the pay per view switched to FAR AND AWAY ( thats another story) all i know is it should of been 1-0 portugal...............ok thats it i have stopped venting

[Edited by oliveira on 29-06-2000 at 22:31]

·
Registered
964 Posts
If UEFA ban any players than we should pull out or EURO 2004 just before the competition starts and than we will see who has the last laugh.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
This is rediculous. We lost to a quote "fair" unqoute penalty decision and I hope we are not bragging on about this all summer.

The reaction of our players was appauling and we should not look up to them just because we support them. I can understand how angry they were and I was too, but there is no excuse for pushing and shoving the ref, cos there is more chance that Benfica will win the league next season (and that's saying something :) ) than the ref changing his mind about the pen.

I think Nuno should get a 4 game ban or 5 at worst.

If the tables were turned and the French harrassed the ref - we would all be saying what bad losers the French were and what a "great" decision the pen was.

Sometimes you have to keep your feet on the ground - the players didn't have a TV replay to see what happened - they probably all saw it hit his chest from the angle they were all standing -

Even if Abel Xavier sexually abused a French player in the box - I'm sure Nuno would of pusshed the ref and said "hey you fila da puta - that wasn't a pen - he didn't mean it - honest"

The fact that it was in golden goal period and the Portugal players knew how well they were playing - they couldn't believe that they let it slip.

But life goes on and we have to accept the decision and show what a team we really are in the World Cup 2002.

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The pk was one thing but the french goal wass offsides......by a yard......i'm not blind..you saw it. we never get those marginal calls. Nuno could of had 6 goals but he was called offsides.. does Uefa watch the same game we do. I know this ranting of mine isn't going to change anything.but what the hell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts