3 Ole-Gunnar Solkjaer

Sweden:
1, Fredrik Ljungberg
2, Patrik Andersson
3, Henrik Larsson

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
That is an interesting list, I don't think everyone would agree with you, but that depends on how you explain it.

Are these 3 players from each nation simply the best players, no matter what place they are playing on? Although Riise is in the wind now(doing good), I doubt very many Norwegians would put him in the top three. :) And besisdes that, how do you measure who is the best player overall?

The furthest I can go with that is deciding who has had a most successfull season, and there Riise does score high, although he wasn't at Liverpool when they won all their titles.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I wouldn't put any "John"s on a Norwegian top three list, that's for sure :D Solskjær has had a great season, so I'd probably rate him highest right now. Only possible contender is Ørjan Berg.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Jinxter said:
I wouldn't put any "John"s on a Norwegian top three list, that's for sure :D
Short vision? :tongue.

During spring time Carew was a huge success in Spain and in the Champions League, eventually scoring on a penalty in the Champions League final. Solskjær hardly played for United.

During this last autumn, Solskjær has stolen a place for the United and is probably playing the best football of his life, while Carew has had problems convincing his new coach that he is more than a reserve. All in all quite similar seasons. Carew gets a bonus since it was his first season abroad, while Solskjær gets a bonus for being great at this time.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
First off, I said I'd rate Solskjær as the best right now, not last year :D

Second, I've never liked John Carew, so because I'm biased, he automatically loses a few points.

Third, both Carew and Riise is used wrong in their squads at the moment, so it's hard for them to compete against the best of the Norwegian players.. untill this changes, I don't feel I can voted them as being the best, just because of potential. Carew isn't a pure-goalgetter as his current manager seems to think, and Riise's strength isn't defending, but attacking. Something his defensive mistakes and own goal(s?) this season should prove. Luckily he's had some nice goals and attacks down the flank to save his hide. But they are both still young, and can improve.

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
It was only one own goal, and he had bad luck....besides he made up for it with his goal in the next game. I agree like everyone else that he makes some mistakes in defence, but he aint no Stensaas!! Ståle the man, otherwise known as the defender version of Frode Grodås.

Riise could play left midfielder, but in time I think he will develop to be a great attacking left back, much like Roberto Carlos. With him and Heggem in top shape, not only Liverpool but also Norway might get seriously strenghtened, as I think they could work well together if you have a team that manages to defend well without them, when they are attacking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course

Hey John-Arne Riise O A, I wanna know oooo how you scored that goal? Of course I will rate him as no.1. O-G Solkaer is very good just know, but I wanna see him so good in the national team. Alieu is a very good player, should be in the "eleven" in Valencia of course. Eirik Bakke and Steffen Iversen the others which are good than Norway just have crap players(allmost).

·
Registered
207 Posts
belmont said:
Finland:
1 Sami Hyypiä
2 Jari Litmanen
3 Annti Niemien
I agree that Hyypiä is best and Litti second but I wouldn't rate Niemi third. I think that at least Jussi Jääskeläinen should be before him. Also Tainio and Forssell are not far from the third spot.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Orange said:
With Riise and Heggem in top shape, not only Liverpool but also Norway might get seriously strenghtened, as I think they could work well together if you have a team that manages to defend well without them, when they are attacking.
Yes, let Vegard Heggem play right back again! Norway needs a good right back again and Heggem got the potential!

...or else LFC could let him go on a loan to Rosenborg ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finland

After Germany-Finland is no doubt who is the best goalkeeper. Forssell is huge, but most be little bit better, than you have Hannu Tihinen and Aki Riihilahti , they are very good. Hope Finland can reach some big tournament not so far in the future. Annt Niemien is the 3rd for the mom.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, if Niemi was better than Hyypä and Litmanen I really don't think that he would still be playing in Hearts. Niemi has been very good but I don't know if he's better than Jääskeläinen. Jääskeläinen has had some great performances in Bolton, however he has lost some of that great form he had before christmas. I haven't seen Niemi since that Germany-match so it's pretty hard to compare these players. And I wouldn't mention Riihilahti when we talk about top 3 players of Finland. He can't even be sure about his place in our national team's starting XI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts