Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is my list
what s yours?

1. Diego Maradona (Argentina)Definitely the best dribbler the world has ever seen. World Cup winner 1986, runner-up in 1990. As all-round footballer he is not overshadowed by anyone. Not even Pelé.

2. Pele (Brazil)It's hard to put anyone else than Pelé on the top position. Especially after looking at his track record in World Cups. He is the only man to win it 3 times and is among the all-time topscorers. A virtually complete footballer with an impressive strength in the air despite being relatively small. He scored more than 1000 goals in his career.

3. DiStefano (Argentina) - 5 European Cup, need i say more!.

4. Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany)The dominant player in the German defence for 10 years. He won gold, silver and bronze in his three World Cups 1966, 1970 and 1974. Ranks as the best defender in soccer history. A born leader on and off the field, which also saw him successful as manager for the German team when he won in 1990

5. Garrincha (Brazil) Known as "The Little Bird", Garrincha was a dominant figure in Brazil's first two World Cup winning teams 1958 and 1962. Played as a winger and wrongfooted lots of defenders in the 50s and 60s. Pelé said he would never have won 3 cups without Garrincha in the team.

6. Gerd Muller (West Germany)
The most remarkable goals-per-game marksman in soccer history at international level (62 games/68 goals). Müller is all time topscorer in World Cups with 14 goals and won the tournament on home soil in 1974, four years after being topscorer and bronzemedalist in Mexico.

7. Johann Cryuff (holland)He played only in one WC, but was the leader and captain for Holland's team in 1974. Holland's Total-Football almost achived the ultimate prize by winning the cup. Cruyff was their best player.

8. Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)Nicknamed "The galloping major", Puskas was captaining the Hungarian sides that went unbeaten for about four years. The sequence stopped unfortunately in the final of 1954.

9. Michel Plantini (France)The captain and inspirational leader for the great French teams of the 1980s. Platini was unfortunate not to play a World Cup final having lost in two semifinals, but he was a gifted and talented player.

10. Jairzhino (Brazil)
One of the best wingers of all time, Jairzinho was a constant threat for any full back. He scored lots of goals as well and scored in every game when Brazil won the cup in 1970.

11. Giuseppe Meazza (Italy)Twice World Cup winner in 1934 and 1938, Meazza was Italy's best player. He was captain for the 1938 team. The stadium in Milan has been named after him.

e.g players that were very close to this top 10 were Marco Van Basten, Geroghe Best, Zinedine Zidande, Ronaldo

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
1. Sir Stanley Matthews (ENG)
2. Cliff Bastin (ENG)
3. Pelé (BRA)
4. Alfredo Di Stefano (ARG)
5. Bobby Moore (ENG)
6. Gordon Banks (ENG)
7. Johann Cruyff (HOL)
8. Franz Beckenbauer (GER)
9. Diego Maradona (ARG)
10. Eddie Hapgood (ENG)

Just count the number of goalkeepers and defenders there are in your 11. Only 1 in your team, but there would be 5 in a real XI. That's why I've included 3 efenders and a goalkeeper is my 10. It's more balanced, since defenders can make great players too.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
My Very Personal Top 10

The order isn't as important as the selection itself - I'm not sure who would be the 3rd best ever. But here it goes:

1- Pelé (Brazil 58/62/66/70)
2- Diego Maradona (Argentina 86/90/94)
3- Mané Garrincha (Brazil 58/62)
4- Franz Beckenbauer (Germany 74/78)
5- Johann Cruyff (Holland 74)
6- Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina, I don't remember the years :D)
7- Nilton Santos (Brazil 50/54/58/62)
8- Ferenc Puskas (Hungary 54)
9- Lev Yashin (USSR 58)
10- Stanley Matthews (England and my memory went poof again)

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you're talking about the best 11 players in football's history, my list would be:

Maradona
Pelé
Cruyff
Di Stéfano
Kubala
Puskas
Beckenbauer
Van Basten
Garrincha
Zidane

...and Puyol:D

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bastin said:
Just count the number of goalkeepers and defenders there are in your 11. Only 1 in your team, but there would be 5 in a real XI. That's why I've included 3 efenders and a goalkeeper is my 10. It's more balanced, since defenders can make great players too.
i know, but im not trying to make a team out of these players,
i just listed the best 11 for me, and if u want to add defenders and keepers where is Franco Baresi and Lev Yashin in your almost all England list :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
My list:

1- Pelé - the best ever. Perfect in all aspects of the game (dribbling, passing, shooting, heading, and so on). Won 3 WCs.
2- Garrincha - the best dribbler of the world
3- Di Stefano - the most complete player at his time
4- Beckenbauer - the brave leader of Germany in WCs 70 and 74
5- Cruyff - the symbol of "total football"
6- Maradona - a genius, took Argentina to win one WC.
7- Bobby Moore
8- Nilton Santos
9- Meazza
10 - Jairzinho

·
Registered
46,970 Posts
Bastin said:
1. Sir Stanley Matthews (ENG)
2. Cliff Bastin (ENG)
3. Pelé (BRA)
4. Alfredo Di Stefano (ARG)
5. Bobby Moore (ENG)
6. Gordon Banks (ENG)
7. Johann Cruyff (HOL)
8. Franz Beckenbauer (GER)
9. Diego Maradona (ARG)
10. Eddie Hapgood (ENG)

Excuse me Bastin, I respect your football culture but I think that if you ask to one million people in Germany, Italy, Spain and France I think that hardly 10 would be able to tell you who Cliff Bastin and Eddie Hapgood are..... so, since a champion is always famous, find some famous players.....

·
Registered
46,970 Posts
Then I hope that you are not saying that Matthews and Bastin are better than Pelè, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Crujff.....
well, as usual if u say that you saw a donkey in the sky I have no evidences that you were wrong....

Well, try to forget that you are English once in your life....

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ToniSamp said:

Excuse me Bastin, I respect your football culture but I think that if you ask to one million people in Germany, Italy, Spain and France I think that hardly 10 would be able to tell you who Cliff Bastin and Eddie Hapgood are..... so, since a champion is always famous, find some famous players.....
thats right im still searching the web to find out who these guys are :tongue:

·
Registered
46,970 Posts
The fact is that they were surely two very good players in England in the 30s-40s (they played for Arsenal.... eh eh eh...no comment, Bastin), probably in the world too.... and probably they would be famous if England participated in the WC of 1930, 1934 and 1938, but they did not participate and now nobody out of England know them....
Now, since there is no way to say which were the best players (they can't play together) we should choose the players who where more famous.
No doubt: the most famous was Pelè.
The usual question is: was Maradona better than Pelè? I don't know, but surely Maradona is at least the second.
And since somebody say that alfredo Di Stefano was better than both them, I can say that he is probably at least the third.
The remaining names are the usual: Platini, Beckenbauer, Crujff, Eusebio, Puskas, Garrincha.....

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Being Italian, I would have assumed that you would know who Hapgood was pretty damn well. Remember the Battle of Highbury, 14th November 1934? Remember how the 'World Champions' of Orsi and Italy were defeated handsomely by a gallant England team? Remember which England player had the honour of being captain that day?

Despite Italy's best efforts to make it a war out on the Highbury turf, the English players never lowered themselves to the level of the pitiful Italian hooligans. For this, Hapgood deserves to be commended.

Domestically, he was the Arsenal captain at the time when Arsenal was undoubtedly the greatest team on earth, and marshalled his defence so efficiently that we conceded the least goals, and kept the most clean sheets for 9 straight seasons.

The Arsenal 1934 team was by far the greatest club football side of all time, and there been a World Cup between 1863 and 1930, England would have won all of them. For a country that was dominated the football world for 87 years, I would have expected even more than the paltry 5 of my top 10. I could start naming a 10 that consists players from only before World War Two, but being a bunch of shallow, anti-English morons, I wouldn't expect you to know any of them. For shame.

·
Registered
46,970 Posts
Objectivity: 0 (zero).

I respect your football culture but if you don't learn to be objective you will make just laugh..... cause seeing your Top11 a person who is not English will laugh....

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Thats a joke bastin, Cliff Bastin dosent compare to Diego Maradona and yet you have him as number 2 in your list and Diego no.9??:D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
To quote Butch Cassidy, "Who are these guys?"

Bastin said:
The Arsenal 1934 team was by far the greatest club football side of all time, and there been a World Cup between 1863 and 1930, England would have won all of them. For a country that was dominated the football world for 87 years, I would have expected even more than the paltry 5 of my top 10. I could start naming a 10 that consists players from only before World War Two, but being a bunch of shallow, anti-English morons, I wouldn't expect you to know any of them. For shame.
Yeah, we should all be really ashamed. :rollani: After all, if there had been a World Cup between 1863 and 1930, England 'would have won all of them'. :wth: Heh. And of course 'The Arsenal 1934 team was by far the greatest club football side of all time'... silly of us not to realize that. :googly: :dielaugh: :lala: And Cliff Bastin and Eddie Hapgood (also known by the nickname of 'WHO?!?') are clearly two of the 10 best players ever - anyone who denies that can only be a shallow (???) and anti-English person. :stress: :relieved:

Are you serious, Bastin? Listen, England may have been the first country to play football, but they certainly were never the best at it, sorry to break this to you. These guys may have been hotshots back in 1930 but nobody in the world knows about it. So they may even be two of England's all-time Top 10, but if you think they're among the world's best you know nothing about world football, kid - there's a lot more to football history than 'the gallant England team' of 1934. :cool:

Another thing: You can't have a 'World Cup' before the sport has been spread around the world - so being the only ones in the world who play the sport doesn't mean you're 'world champions' at it, it just means you're the only ones who play it. There's a difference. ;) 'If' there had been a Cup England would've won? Hey, 'if' Barbie took steroids she would be G.I. Joe. :cap: :D

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
:howler:

Jesus, Garrincha. You keeping talking this kind of brilliant smack and we'll have no choice but to rush deliver your pass into the Hall of Fame. Great, great stuff. :proud: :)

I love the line about "better known by the nickname of WHO?!!". :crylaughing: :D

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Bastin, the inclusion of Bastin and Hapgood in your top 11 players of all time is based on what exactly?

·
Registered
46,970 Posts
Ehi Garrincha,
I remember that in a Over 34 (or 35) Mundial in Brasil ten years ago more or less there was a Brazilian player who made the "torcida" go crazy every time he made a dribbling. His name was Cafuringa or something similar....
He is not a top11 but when Bastin talked about.... Bastin, I don't understand why, I thought to Cafuringa! :D

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dae said:
:howler:

Jesus, Garrincha. You keeping talking this kind of brilliant smack and we'll have no choice but to rush deliver your pass into the Hall of Fame. Great, great stuff. :proud: :)
Garrincha as his avatar is a :star:
ive seen many of his posts one beats the other,

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Hoseman said:
Bastin, the inclusion of Bastin and Hapgood in your top 11 players of all time is based on what exactly?
Despite the efforts of the maximum wage in British football, Arsenal were the best club side in the world for nigh on thirty years. Hapgood was the captain, Bastin was the best player.

Santos (or the Metrostars) could never boast this, yet Pelé is called the best player of all time. Maradona's clubs of Boca, Napoli, and Barcelona have never been the best sides in the world (except a short stint in the mid-1970s with Barcelona, IMO).

Hapgood was the best positional defender of all time. He snuffed out any attack coming his way, and dealt with the world's best wingers with ease.

Bastin was a outside-left (left-wing), but still managed a scoring record of almost 1 every 2 games across his entire career. Not only that, but his best years were taken away by the war, he was partially deaf, and had major problems with his knee cartilidge.

It's also strange that you have never heard of Cliff Bastin. If you really have not, why didn't you question the relevance of my username? He was the greatest player in the world from about 1933 to 1943. No other player can claim to be the best for that long. Pelé wasn't the best in 1966, nor was Maradona the best in 1990, yet these players are rated as being infinitely better by most.

The ignorance of society to the ability of the pre-World War Two players is undeniable. Amognst them, were some of the greatest players of all time (Bastin and Hapgood being probably the two best of all of them). Also note that it is obvious that England would have won the World Cup in 1930-8. We beat every team claiming to be the best year after year. We won against Germany, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Scotland, Spain, and France. Never once did we lose to any of these teams in that time (bar Scotland once out of 12 games). That just about covers it.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts