Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I don't now much about rap music but Firdaus keeps bullying me into making the thread. So here I am!

I want to say in advance that the list is compiled after roughly 20 minutes of research on the internet. It is still most likely better than whatever you guys could come up with since mine is 99% objective(not invested in the genre and consulted magazine lists or polls) and yours would be just a biased farce. In conclusion, you'd all be better of just to shower my thread with praise w/o bitching about anything with your hipsta' oPIniOns!

8.Rakim(Yes I could only make a top 8)

Don't know a single thing about him but he features most of the lists I googled

7.Jay Z

I think he's terrible but the list has to be objective and he receives his fair share of praise

6.Snoop Dogg

One of the most iconic rappers ever. Has some nice hits!

5.Nas

Don't know any song of his but he is ranked very high in all the lists I checked.

4.Dr. Dre

Like Snoop, one of rap music's most recognizable faces and has some pretty nice songs.

3.The Notorious B.I.G.

He got some sick lyrics. I rate him above 2pac in that respect.

2.Tupac

Needs no presentation!

1.Eminem

Most popular rapper ever, and the best lyrics by far IMO. The GOAT.

Now discuss and educate me on the subject!

@Osman @Firdaus @Dmitriy @bjkshvili

·
Administrator
52,168 Posts

This might be possibly the laziest and probably the worst thread ever created.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
52,168 Posts

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
29,276 Posts
Yeah, total google top 8 of rappers pre-2005.

Haven't paid much attention in the last 10 years, but back in the day I liked Redman, Slick Rick, Ghostface...

·
Registered
43,221 Posts
Dre has no business being anywhere near this list. He didn't even write the lyrics for A LOT of his stuff. D.O.C. wrote a lot of his material for the Chronic album, Eminem wrote his lines for Forgot About Dre, Jay-Z wrote his verse for Still D.R.E., etc.

Aside from ghostwriters, there's also the matter of Dre having a bunch of ghost producers, but this isn't the thread for that. :lala:

·
Registered
43,221 Posts
I'd say that Eminem should definitely be in the top 5 along with Nas.

If we're talking about lyricism and emcee skills, I'd put Inspectah Deck and GZA (both from Wu) above Eminem. So yeah, both are top 5 for me as well.

Btw, I'll PROVE IT. I'm going to post 2 videos by Deck and Em respectively where their much acclaimed verses have their internal rhymes set out via colour coding. FWIW, internal rhymes (known as "internals" within the rap community) are a well-established poetic device which has been employed by Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Edgar Allan Poe and many others for various functions. I have no doubt that poets like Wordsworth would be seriously impressed by what rappers like GZA, Deck, Em and Nas have on display in terms of rhymes, imagery, metaphors and double (or triple) entendres.

Anyway, here they are. Look at the end of each video to see the completed pictures (spoiler: Deck wins and it's not even close). Side note: not that it matters, but the colour coding misses a couple of things in Deck's verse.

[tub]f9zaJuxTNgI[/tub]

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
37,661 Posts
Osman said:
Dre has no business being anywhere near this list. He didn't even write the lyrics for A LOT of his stuff. D.O.C. wrote a lot of his material for the Chronic album, Eminem wrote his lines for Forgot About Dre, Jay-Z wrote his verse for Still D.R.E., etc.

Aside from ghostwriters, there's also the matter of Dre having a bunch of ghost producers, but this isn't the thread for that. :lala:
Eazy E should be included instead! :stuckup:

·
Registered
29,276 Posts
I would basically dig only East Coast Renaissance, which ment no white guys (even that Jewish trio), no G-Funk, no Dirty South, not much Old School, not too much in the way of Native Tongues... One of those weird teenager things.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say that Eminem should definitely be in the top 5 along with Nas.

If we're talking about lyricism and emcee skills, I'd put Inspectah Deck and GZA (both from Wu) above Eminem. So yeah, both are top 5 for me as well.

Btw, I'll PROVE IT. I'm going to post 2 videos by Deck and Em respectively where their much acclaimed verses have their internal rhymes set out via colour coding. FWIW, internal rhymes (known as "internals" within the rap community) are a well-established poetic device which has been employed by Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Edgar Allan Poe and many others for various functions. I have no doubt that poets like Wordsworth would be seriously impressed by what rappers like GZA, Deck, Em and Nas have on display in terms of rhymes, imagery, metaphors and double (or triple) entendres.

Anyway, here they are. Look at the end of each video to see the completed pictures (spoiler: Deck wins and it's not even close). Side note: not that it matters, but the colour coding misses a couple of things in Deck's verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ROEZGEnKJo

[tub]f9zaJuxTNgI[/tub]
Cool stuff. Do they have an all time ranking?

This dude has done an impressive job it seemes

·
Registered
43,221 Posts
Cool stuff. Do they have an all time ranking?

This dude has done an impressive job it seemes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwirB-XQco
I don't think they do.

Leaving aside the fact I don't understand anything :)D), I think there are too many times where the internals don't work because the rhyming syllables are seemingly placed randomly. I'm sure you know what I mean but I think a good way of putting it is that the internal rhyme forms a sort of percussive beat of its own above the actual beat (the meter). It doesn't have to be uniform and it can keep switching about but it needs to meet or create a rhythm. There are parts when the track does this but too many occasions where it doesn't, imo. What do you think?

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think they do.

Leaving aside the fact I don't understand anything :)D), I think there are too many times where the internals don't work because the rhyming syllables are seemingly placed randomly. I'm sure you know what I mean but I think a good way of putting it is that the internal rhyme forms a sort of percussive beat of its own above the actual beat (the meter). It doesn't have to be uniform and it can keep switching about but it needs to meet or create a rhythm. There are parts when the track does this but too many occasions where it doesn't, imo. What do you think?
No clue whatsoever, sorry! :stress:

·
Registered
43,221 Posts
No clue whatsoever, sorry! :stress:
Also, after going through it a few more times, I'm going to have to call bullshit on the colour coding. It just doesn't rhyme as much as the coding says. You can tell by following along. The most obvious "errors" are some highlighted multisyllable words that don't match up.

·
Registered
54,572 Posts
out of the OP list I know only Snoop and Dre and they are rather average.

Public Enemy why not on list?

Gabriel o Pensador is the GOAT there‘s no doubt about it, music and lyrics, no one comes close

generally speaking though, rap is a lame type of music

1 - 20 of 66 Posts