Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be an interesting challenge to some of the older Milan fans to try and put together a top 10 list of Milan players from the Berlusconi era. Players have to have played well for Milan and not just for other clubs (ie. Baggio). It's not about the most talented, simply the best performer in Milan stripes from 1986 to today.

This should present some interesting views and I'm sure many champions will be left out of some lists, given the dozens and dozens of stars who have represented Milan.

:shades:

·
Registered
194 Posts
My top 10 Milan players during Berlusconi era

1) Franco Baresi
2) Marco Van Basten
3) Paolo Maldini
4) Alessandro Costacurta
5) Ruud Gullit
6) George Weah
7) Roberto Donadoni
8) Andrei Shevchenko
9) Kaka
10) Zvonimir Boban

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
1. Baresi
2. Maldini
3. Van Basten
4. Shevchenko
5. Costacurta
6. Albertini
7. Weah
8. Tassotti
9. Gullit
10. Rijkaard

Boban, Donadoni, Ancelotti, Rossi, Massaro, Desailly, Savicevic & Baggio are all left out but there is not enough space as there are too many champions in my top 10. I haven't put in too many names from the current 11 as they still have some time to go gladly. My personal list had a lot to do with the European Cup success rather than Scudetto only. A lot of clubs & teams win the league but a few win in Europe. ;)

What a lucky club we are to have had so many champions. I think this thread has been opened twice already in the past but a little different perhaps. :D

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
My list :stuckup:

Franco Baresi
Paolo Maldini
Carlo Ancelotti
Roberto Donadoni
Ruud Gullit
Marco van Basten
Frank Rijkaard
Dejan Savicevic
Andriy Shevchenko
Alessandro Nesta

7 of the 10 are from Sacchi's Milan. Nuff said :proud: :stuckup: :proud:

And if I include a goalie as the 11th man, it's very much an impressive team too :stuckup:

--------------------GK (Dida)-----------------------

--------Nesta----------Baresi----------Maldini-------

---Gullit------Rijkaard-----Ancelotti------Donadoni---

---------------------Savicevic----------------------

-------------Shevchenko------van Basten-----------

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Strictly speaking Haroon, if your list is based on European Cup successes, then Weah should not be in ;) How about swapping Weah for Savicevic? :shades: Afterall, we very much owed :star: #5 :star: to :devil: him :devil:

·
Registered
194 Posts
ilgenio said:
Strictly speaking Haroon, if your list is based on European Cup successes, then Weah should not be in ;) How about swapping Weah for Savicevic? :shades: Afterall, we very much owed :star: #5 :star: to :devil: him :devil:

oh my...i forgot to include Savicevic :wallbang: ..hmmm as Haroon said, there are tooo many champions...maybe i should replace Donadoni with Savicevic...and yeah it is because of the #5 :star: :proud:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
ilgenio said:
Weah was special enough to make the list IMO. It isn't based primarily on European success but I have taken that into consideration. Actually I did plan on putting Savicevic in the list instead of Weah but then realized that you would surely put him in there since you're a big fan of Dejan. ;)

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
too easy

in no order

Sheva
Van Basten
Baresi
Maldini
Gullit
Rijkaard
Albertini
Boban
Savicevic
Costacurta

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Mine would be

Baresi, Maldini, MVB, Gullit, Donadoni, Albertini, Boban, Savicevic, Rijkaard, Sheva. And I would never be able to determine the order apart from the 1st 2 positions baresi and maldini. Morever, Weah, Billy Costacurta, Desailly, Massaro, Ancelotti, Rossi are atleast equal to the above listed. Hell its cruel to list only 10 let alone in order.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
I can't answer :embarass:

·
Registered
472 Posts
1. Maldini
2. Kaiser Franz
3. Weah
4. Savicevic
5. MVB
6. Nesta
7. Seba Rossi (929 without a goal against)
8. Gullit
9. Donadoni
10. Shevchenko

Albertini in top 10 is a joke if you ask me

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
1-Maldini
-Baresi
-Billy
4-Savicevic
-Gullit
-Van Basten
-Riijkaard
-Donadoni
-Sheva
-Weah
11-Dida ( I just can´t resist it :stuckup: )

il_capitano said:
:thmbup:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
My top 10 would be in terms of the impact they've had as a whole on the club but also on me, as a Diavoletto :devil: :

1) :heart: The Divine Swan. :heart: Simply out of reach. Never seen anyone with such grace, elegance than him. Only Zidane comes close in terms of elegance and class. If Zidane is poetry, then The Swan is the reincarnation of Michelangelo. Pure art!:stuckup: He's THE reason I fell in Love with Milan. :heart::star:

2) Kaiser Franz. He will always be IL CAPITANO to all of us Milanisti. :stuckup::proud: Never seen such an intelligent and charismatic leader on the pitch than # 6. Beckenbauer may have invented the role of libero, but Baresi perfected it and took it to a new dimension that is not only out of reach of mere mortals, but more importantly, he is reveared as THE supreme Libero, the standard of excellence!:star::proud:

3) One could write an entire chapter, if not a book on the names that have been given to him throughout his career. Some may call him Cuore di Drago, or Figlio di Cesare Augusto, others could call him La Panacea Di Ogni Male, while others could call him Un Discendente Della Stirpe D'Oro etc...to me and to most of us, he and will be for ever, San Paolo. Yes, I believe he should be sanctified!:stuckup:

4) He was one of the youngest member of the team when the Odyssey began under Sacchi. Today, 18 years later, he's still part of the team. His loyalty to the Brotherhood has never been questionned!:stuckup: His expertise, or rather mastery of his trade make him one of the overall best in his position the world has witnessed in the past decade elevating him to the status of Legend. But the humble and down to earth man that he is, despite having it won all many times over, he'd rather be remembered and referred to as Il Professore Billy. :stuckup::star: :devil:

5) He had the ability to dance with the ball and to enlighten not only the play of the game, but also the whole stadium via his magical touch and dizzying controls, just like a star. Many even went as far as attempting the ultimate comparaison that he was the reincarnation of the sublime and mesmerizing Garrincha. :stuckup: To us Milanisti, he will always be referred but more imprtantly revered as the light of class in the Scala of Calcio. He was simply Luci a San Siro. :star::proud:

6) When this phenomena played for Milan, it was chrystal clear that this was no ordinary player. His outspoken caracter, coupled with his looks which made him look more as an exotic reggae singer than a footballer with his rasta dreadlocks, he was simply a force of the nature. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a player more powerful, more irresistible than him. Despite his bestial strength and power, he had the touch of a ballerina and the precision of a snipper, hence his nick Tulipano Nero. Just like his favorite partner, the Divine Swan, his biggest enemey was his chyrstal knees. What a pity!:sob: Nonetheless, he will be forever given a very special place both in the History of the Brotherhood and in the heart of every self respecting Milanista as the man whom dethroned Maradona in the feet of the Vesuve!:stuckup::devil: :strong::star:

7) Have you ever seen a player with more genie in his lamp or rather his feet than Aladdin? Have you ever seen a player with more tours up his sleeves or rather his left foot than David Copperfield? Have you ever seen one man with the ultimate gift of leaving every one in sheer amazement by his actions or rather, caresses? Have you ever seen and tasted a lob more delicious than the best chocolate mousse ever conceived? Have you ever seen a true magician, litterally making the ball dissappear and have it reappeared where one would have never imagined it but this time, with the difference that this magician was for real and he was not using illusion to deceive his audience? Well, I have!:stuckup: As a matter of fact, we Diavoli have all had this priviledge and honour. His presence will always be felt as softly, as beautifully and as memorably as the caresse of a warm breeze, la carezza del Montenegro or in more down to earth language, Il Genio. :stuckup:

8) The old (to some extent false) belief that any keeper would have had an easy life with the best defensive line in history of football in a quartet as famous as the Beattles's one in Tassotti-Costacurta/Galli-Baresi and Maldini. However, thank to his highly agile and capable hands, that almost perfect defence achieved the so illusive status of perfection. To some keepers, being tall could be an handicap. To him, it was an asset as it allowed him to better cover the full territory of his net. Despite his talness, he was extremely agile in stopping the low shots. His hands were a total security blanket, a kind of all risk insurance and assurance. An invaluable mental boost for his teammates. The 14th Scudetto is in great part in his legendary or rather historic hands. Hands that were able to establish a new record which to be quite frank, would be close to impossible to reach, let alone beat, anytime soon. Mr. 929 minuti. In other words, Super Seba. :star::devil: will always be fondly remembered by the Brotherhood!:stuckup::devil:

9) Born in Africa, raised in France and reached his footballing peak at la Scala del Calcio, he was a true King. As a matter of fact, he's always been referred to whereever he went, as King George. Just like the King of the Jungle, everything he did, was a in a royal manner. Only a true felin would have been able to pull off two of his most mesmerizing perles. The first one at the Coliseum in Rome, witness of heroic acts by the gladiators in front of Julius Cesar. The second one, at the Scala del Calcio, a pure anthem to joy, beauty and art all combined in one masterpiece referred to as the Coast to Coast play. Il Re Leone, just like the indomptable King of the Animals left an indelible mark in the heart of all of us Milanisti and a dreadful fear, that is still echoieing in the souls of his opponents. :devil::stuckup:

10) Just like a storm, he has been sweeping everything on his path. Everywhere he went, just like the legendary and proud Romans of the Antiquity, he conquered all that he saw. His motto could be just like Cesear's Vini, vidi, vinci. :stuckup: However, he made his conquests not based on blood sheds, but rather, on admiration, respect and amazement of all in total unanimity!:stuckup: Everywhere he went, he filled the hearts the Brotherhood with a warm feeling, a warm breeze, a warm wind of passion. The scariest part is, that he is not done yet. Far from it! To put it in the words of another super-human, MJ (not Michael Jackson :lala::tongue: but rather Michael Jordan :star: ), I just got started!:eekani::stuckup: World, tremble! Vento di Passioni is on his way!:stuckup::devil: :proud:

Cheers.;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
il_capitano said:
Well, I found this a bit harsh amico as his role was centrally crucial to our cause for more than a decade. He was the dynamo, the brain and general of the midfield for a long time. :stuckup:

To answer your question, would Deme be in the top 10 Milanisti of the Berlusconi Era? IMHO, probably not, but not far neither. However, the way you put it is quite harsh. :eek:

IMO, he was not overrated. Quite the opposite. Perhaps because he was in a team made of super stars, it was not easy for him to shine as his role was more obscure than those of his more gifted teammates. However, his role was as vital as that of the artists of our team, if not more. Hence, my belief that he was actually under-rated simply because being around so many outstandingly brillant talents, was no easy job for him to get noticed ...

Therefore, in the name of the Brotherhood, I am inviting y'all to show more respect to one of the most important players our club has had in the past 20 years!:stuckup:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
il_capitano said:

:rolleyes:

You must have started watching our matches from 98 or 99...
At Deme's prime, he's an INTERGRAL part of the invincible. He replaced Ancelotti in our team to be the director of our game, don't you think that showed something?

Sure Deme was never the same player after several nasty injuries, but I still remember what cesare maldini said about the team when he was in charge.
'The team lost its imagination without the presence of demetrio, he's indispensable.'

I can't forget his brace in San Siro against Barcelona :star: , I can't forget the great peroformance of him during euro 2000, I can't forget he took pain pills and play with injuries only to help us with the comepetition for the 4th place for a CL spot in year 2002. :broken:

The result was, Milan clinched to the 4th place and later won with the Cl spot in Manchester, but Deme only aggravated his injury and ruled him out of the WC squad. 3 months later, he was exiled to Madrid.
:sob: :stuckup:

To be a Milanista, please show some respect to our true legend. :fero:

p.s.
I wonder whether or not 'defensive playmaker' is a forever underestimated role...last decade's Deme and ANDREA PIRLO now, both of them was never given the respect and praise they truly deserve. :rollani:

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
I hope this thread does not turn out to be another Albertini bashing thread :scared: (there were plenty previously in MM & the Milan mailing list which I used to subscribe)

I am one of those who don't rate Albertini, and to some extend Costacurta. Well I truly respect and appreciate their long loyal service in the colors of the :devil: Brotherhood :devil: I don't think they will have a place in my top 30 list of Milan best ever players :shades:

I have Ancelotti my top 10 (Belusconi Era). If you compare both Ancelotti and Albertini in their prime, my money is on Ancelotti. IMO the Ancelotti & Rijkaard tandem in central midfield is the best pairing EVER, club or international football. Ancelotti is a typical no nonsence, no bullshit, totally commited box-to-box player with bags of energy and drive, covering every blade of grass for the course of the Red & Blacks. Think of Ancelotti as a Steven Gerrard, and it's a high compliement for Stevie G indeed ;) Albertini covers less ground than Ancelotti, and for someone who has been playing 400+ games for Milan, very often as a regista, his assist output of an average of 3 per season is downright pathetic. Pirlo is already closing in on Albertini's career total in assists while playing only half the amount of games Albertini did ;)

I have Nesta in my top 10 (Berlu Era) too. A somewhat surprise inclusion as he's only been with us for 2 over years. But in that 2 over years, he has been a rock in defence (our achilles heel for sometime before his arrival), and in every season he has been with us, won major trophies (CL in his 1st, Scudetto in his 2nd, and possibly BOTH in his 3rd :shades: ) A defender who oozes class, quality whenever he's been on the pitch. :star: So he pipped Billy for a spot in my top 10. Besides, I still have not fully forgiven Billy for a certain match a decade ago ;) :stuckup: ;) A match where he first gifted the opponents with a penalty :stress: then giving away a soft goal in a 2-0 defeat :cry: and to rub salt into injury :irritate: got himself promptly red carded. :frustrat: I agree footballers makes mistakes in their careers, but if Billy were to live in the ancient days of the warring states, such mistakes will get him beheaded :D

The top 10 list is everyone's own preference, and I think we should respect every poster for their own selection. I just wanna have my say as to why I left out 2 long servants in my top 10 list ;)

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Baresi
Boban
Costacurta
Gullit
Maldini
Nesta
Rijkaard
Savicevic
Shevchenko
van Basten

in alphabetic order... some others could be in the list as well like Desially, Weah, Albertini... others could make the list in future (Pirlo, Kaka).

Rossi? He was average, nothing more, the fact Milan won so much with him just underlines how nearly unbeatable the rest of the squad was.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts