Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just found this site yesterday and have been reading the various forums. Cool place. :thumbsup:

For some reason I got this crazy idea that I would like to start playing football (just for fun), but I'm 33. I have barely ever played, so would basically be starting from zero. Is this completely crazy?

Another complication is that I live in the US (near Los Angeles) and so informal/street games are not that common, and I don't know anyone who plays. If I run across any informal games, what is the proper etiquette to try to get in and play?

Oh, by the way, I'm also 6'6" tall (about 1,98m?), so should I be looking toward goalkeeping? lol

Any ideas or advice? Thanks all! :)

Shenan

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
There's some players well over the 6'6'' height (Koller, Crouch, Carew and Zlatan) so don't just look to be a goalkeeper. And football is always fun, no matter how old you are

to quote Cantona ''Never Grow Old, My Friend'' :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers mates! :thumbsup: I will have to give this a go then. Will go looking for some local neighborhood matches.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
well it certainly helps if you started younger... when you start playing now it'll feel like riding a bike for a first time... or maybe ice skating for the first time... you'lll be all over the place running after the ball but when you finally have it tamed those memories will be fun.

personally i dont remember a time when i couldnt control the ball because i started very young.. i dont play pro though.. just for fun with my friends

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
It's about enjoying it... sure it's nice to play well but even if I have a bad game it's worthwhile for that one good thing you do - for some it's making a great tackle, others it can be a towering header, others a nice piece of skill...

To give yourself a better chance of enjoying it - if you have time, get yourself as fit as possible and get basic ball control by knocking a ball against a wall for as long as possible as often as possible.

EDIT: Ah I see this was a month back - how's it going?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
There is a lot of pick-up games at local parks and soccer fields.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts