Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As David Seaman prepared to extend his Arsenal career by a further year, Tony Adams moved closer to starting a career in management at Watford.

Seaman confirmed talks are ongoing regarding a new contract in the wake of his World Cup blunder against Brazil.

He said: "What happened at the finals was a setback but since I came back from Japan the reception has been fantastic.

"I'm still enjoying my football, I feel positive and want to get the Arsenal contract sorted out to play for another year if I can keep the quality going."

While Adams has yet to make an official announcement about his future, the prospect of taking over at Watford is likely to appeal to the former England captain.

After returning from injury to lead Arsenal to the Double at the end of last season Adams said he would make a decision on his future during the summer.

Watford have Adams, who would have to decide whether to quit playing and concentrate solely on management, at the top of their list to succeed Gianluca Vialli.

-----------------------------------
ahhh
mr.arsenal
now retired
he seems to be going for a coaching job
as stated above, it seems to be watford

just wondering hwo fellow gunners think
is he capable of becoming a great manager?
will he flop because he doesnt have that "manager" sorta intelligence?

my thoughts, it'll be a slow start for him, but in the end somewhere, tony adams will become a GREAT coach. i reckon he could be the england manager someday when his like 50 or something.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not all retired players can coach or manage a team. Teaching is a skill within itself... It cannot be bought or earned. However, with Adams leadership skills, no doubt he will provide good guidance. As for capability, I'm not too sure about it...

Just look at Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaad or Vialli... Great players but...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
Adams all set to hang up his boots
By Steve Stammers

Tony Adams has kicked his last ball for Arsenal. The club expect an official announcement imminently, confirming his retirement and bringing to an end his 23-year playing career at the club.

Tony Adams: End of an era
(BenRadford/Allsport)
Adams did not report for pre-season training yesterday along with the rest of the non-World Cup players, the first time the Arsenal captain had missed the date when fit. He told a close friend last week that he 'will never kick a ball again' after he finished last season still feeling the effects of back, knee and foot problems.

Arsenal have acted quickly to fill the gap left by Adams' retirement by signing Pascal Cygan from Lille.

The move was concluded this morning after a ?.1million fee was agreed with the French club for the 28-year-old central defender who was voted the most consistent defender in the French league two years ago.

As reported on Soccernet yesterday, he has agreed a four-year deal and put pen to paper after he passed a medical. It is believed that Cygan was at the training centre at London Colney yesterday.

Other non-World Cup players who reported were Ray Parlour, Dennis Bergkamp, Francis Jeffers, Matthew Upson, Oleg Luzhny and Edu. But Adams was conspicuous by his absence.

Adams future is still undecided, but it appears he will not move straight into management. Although he was linked with both the Brentford and Watford managerial jobs, it is more likely he will take the next year away from football.

He wants to spend more time with his two children and indulge in sports like golf which he has been prevented from playing because of his injury problems.

Adams, who will be 36 in October, joined Arsenal as a 13-year-old and made his first team debut two weeks after his 17th birthday in November 1983. He has won four league championships at Highbury and was the first Arsenal captain to pick up the FA Cup three times when Chelsea were beaten at Cardiff last May.

He played 66 times for England and was involved in the 1998 World Cup as well as the European Championships of 1988, 1996 and 2000.

He quit the international stage two years ago, but has been dogged by injuries. Adams declared publicly six years that he was an alcoholic and has worked to set up a charity called Sporting Chance to help other players with addiction problems. He donated around ?00,000 - half of the proceeds from his testimonial against Celtic last May - to the fund.

Adams' leadership qualities will be difficult to replace, though Patrick Vieira is likely to be named as his successor as club captain if he signs a new contract. If the France international refuses, however, Arsenal could be plunged into more uncertainty with Juventus and Real Madrid still desperate to lure Vieira away.

Wenger's attempts to sign PSV Eindhoven midfielder Mark van Bommel have stalled over money plus the Dutch international's uncertainty about his position in a team which retains Vieira as its fulcrum.

Arsenal have attempted to off-load players to raise money but Wenger's priority now that he has a centre half is to sign a temporary replacement for injury victims Freddie Ljungberg and Robert Pires, who will miss the start of the season.

Wenger originally coveted Bayer Leverkusen's Brazilian winger, Ze Roberto, but Bayern Munich have beaten Arsenal to his signature leaving the Frenchman to consider other options.

But definitely staying at Arsenal will be Martin Keown and David Seaman. Keown will sign a new deal in the next fortnight while Seaman, who contemplated quitting football after failing to keep out Ronaldinho's bizarre free-kick in the World Cup against Brazil, will stay for another year.

soccernet
--------------------

good luck, tony adams...u've been great for your club and england...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
{Arsenal}, I can't believe you said that awful awful word ...

"Gull1t"

:mad:

hehe

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think Tony Adams will be a great manager and he will be Wenger's successor. Tony Adams has learnt from the best, George Graham and Arsene Wenger's influence will make him a great manager (and Bruce Rioch on how not to manage, although he did sign Dennis)
Whatever Tone does I hope he does well.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
It'll be interesting to see... as mentioned above, some great players don't always make good managers. Vialli was successful at Chelsea because he had cash to spend. But at Watford, he failed because he was at a totally different environment.

Bryan Robson and Peter Reid are other examples... Robson was a great player but a very poor manager and if he weren't such a big name he would have faded into obscurity long ago. Reid took Sunderland into the PL but failed to make any progress since that.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wel he'll always will be remembered as the best arsenal player.

but he has time to learn. his young in the manager terms.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The most recent case which is basically unknown is German legend Lothar Matthaeus - he fielded offers from many German clubs to move straight into management after he retired from playing in the MLS, but decided to cut his teeth with Austrian powerhouse Rapid Vienna last season.

The result? Rapid finished 8th - their lowest position in a zillion years and Lothar copped the axe.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Matthaus is undoubtedly the biggest managerial flop of all time. It is just so laughable how he bombed in spectacular fashion at Rapid Vienna.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
But Remember there have been some great players who have turned out to be great managers. The one manager around who is quite similar to Adams is the German Legend Defender Matthiaus Sammer, he was a young inexperienced manager when he took over at Dortmund, and he has turned the club around and they have just won the Budesliga and finished runners up in the UEFA Cup.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Think of Ruddy Voler and David O'Leary as great players who made good managers....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts