Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomas Flögel bids farewell
10.05.02 - Thomas Flögel talks exclusively to heartsfc.co.uk about his Hearts career as he prepares himself for his last game at Tynecastle. Darren Johnstone reports:

Thomas Flögel will, this summer, return to his native land to play for his former club Austria Vienna with Sunday's game against Livingston marking the end of the inspirational midfielders era at Tynecastle.

It is sure to be an emotional time for a player who is loved by the Gorgie faithful, and who has savoured many fine moments in Scotland;

''It has been the best experience in my whole football career playing for Hearts. I was looking for a change when I was at Vienna, especially in the last two years that I played over there, and I found a really good club'', said the Austrian Internationalist.

''I settled really well in Edinburgh, I married over here and my wife gave birth to my little boy over here and obviously I would have loved to have stayed.

''However that's football and I also have to look after myself and my family. I am now looking forward to going back to Austria and hopefully I can win something over there, but nothing will compare to my times here in Edinburgh'', he added.

The dynamic Austrian was thrown in at the deep end when he made his debut in Glasgow all those years ago. Hearts encountered Rangers in a game that they lost 3-1 and Flögel was close to calling an abrupt end to his Hearts career.

''I remember the first year with Jim Jefferies was like a roller coaster for me, it was up and down. I came on against Rangers at Ibrox and it was a disaster for me. But he gave me time and he believed in me.

''To be honest I wanted to leave after just two months because I was very frustrated and then Jim gave me a chance in Aberdeen and I scored two goals. Right after the game I phoned my agent and told him to forget all things I said, 'I want to stay'.

That magic day in May of 1998 ensures that Flögel is sure to be a part of Hearts folklore for decades to come. Thomas reminisces;

''The Cup was something special, I won the Cup when I was with Austria Vienna but it was nothing compared to this. I remember Jim Jefferies said before the game: ‘Boys if we win this game we will all be heroes in Edinburgh. I couldn't understand it really. After we won I understood why he said that. It was something special for the whole city and for the club''.

Thomas Flögel is one of the last survivors of the Hearts team that defeated Rangers on that memorable day, and Thomas has been a massive inspiration to the new generation of Hearts starlets shooting through who are aspiring to create such magical scenes as the Jambo faithful packed the streets of the Capital.

Thomas made one last mention: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans and everyone who has made my time here so special. I wish the Club all the very best for the future, I have loved my time here at Hearts and I will never forget it”.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
...and now play quality leftback, Tom. Because then you get a quality right wing as a partner in the team....

:)

PMDF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts