Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and within the next few months Niko Kovac will retire(I hope) and this will open up at least one spot in the midfield. Since I see no need to call upon another defensive mid, I think that one of these 4 midfielders should be given his chance to prove his worth with the National team.

So just like the thread with Rukavina, Kalinic, Tadic and Mandzukic...... I am asking which of these players will succeed at the highest level and which ones will fail. And which one(s) will become a fixture on the national team and why?

player bio's
--------------height(cm)----------weight(kg)
Ivo Ilicevic -------174-----------------63----
Anas Sharbini------180-----------------72----
Marin Tomasov---- 181-----------------71----
Mato Jajalo--------182-----------------77----

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
All 4 can become top midfielders.

Ilicevic needs to stop getting injured, and needs to get out of 2.Bundesliga.

Sharbini needs to screw his head on properly.

I think Tomasov and Jajalo are still a while away from the NT, they are young and play for the 'other' teams in the HNL. Tomasov will be at Hajduk after the winter break accoring to reports, not sure about Mato though.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I think ilicevic has the most potential but he needs to toughen up and get some regular playing time anywhere. He is still young. Sharbini has the skill but he seems to have an attitude problem. I think the others are still far away from the NT but i wouldnt count them out.

·
Registered
70,300 Posts
out of those four...Ilicevic is the one to look out for. He is really the best U21 player, as mentioned on the youth NT thread, he is consistently the best player and MoM for the U21's. Also he is another diaspora Croat which everybody loves ;) :thmbup:

Jajalo and Tomasov need to stay in the HNL for now, they are both just entering the U21 phase of their NT career and they are both fairly new names, only their 2nd full seasons. Tomasov's build is similar to Modric, except taller and freakisly skinnier, his knees look like they are going to pop out of his legs :howler:
Jajalo was excellent last season, I know he was injured during pre-season but I haven't heard much about him this season

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
I didn't see a lot of Ilicevic yet, he plays in the 2nd Bundesliga and is already (yes already) 21. I don't think that he will become a top midfielder, when no other club from the 1. division bought him.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about but Ilicevic is playing regularly for Greuther Fürth.
2007/2008 season
2nd Bundesliga

11 games
5 times brought on as a sub
3 times subbed off
544 minutes played (Average 49.45 minutes per game)
Average grade: 4,50 (kicker's ratings are 1 - 5 with 1 being the best and 5 being the lowest)

source: kicker & transfermarkt.de

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
2007/2008 season
2nd Bundesliga

11 games
5 times brought on as a sub
3 times subbed off
544 minutes played (Average 49.45 minutes per game)
Average grade: 4,50 (kicker's ratings are 1 - 5 with 1 being the best and 5 being the lowest)

source: kicker & transfermarkt.de
Gooosh... :eek:

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If I was Slaven I would call Tičinović to the NT camp instead of one of the retired players.

Throw the boy in the deep end, and its never too early to call him up to the NT.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The beuty of it is that he doesnt have to establish himself. I would go on potential alone. Similar to what Arsen wanger does when he picks his players. He looks at potential rather than experience or establishment.

I wouldnt be calling him to make a large contribution to the team right now, but would be looking at what a player like him can give us in 4 years.

I can see loads of potential in Tičinović and if he is this good at 16 - he could be a star at 19 given the right opportunity and good club/coach to grow with.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The beuty of it is that he doesnt have to establish himself. I would go on potential alone. Similar to what Arsen wanger does when he picks his players. He looks at potential rather than experience or establishment.

I wouldnt be calling him to make a large contribution to the team right now, but would be looking at what a player like him can give us in 4 years.

I can see loads of potential in Tičinović and if he is this good at 16 - he could be a star at 19 given the right opportunity and good club/coach to grow with.
I like the way you think. Never too early to train with the big boys so long as he keeps himself grounded.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I would call him without hesitation and I am surprised that Ladić hasnt yet... oh hang on I am not surprised about that :wallbang:

Man every time I see that kid he surprises me with his quick thinking and his vision. He is fast too and really good on the ball. Something like Rakitić except Tičinović runs at defenders with the ball at his feet more often.

I cant wait to see him play again tonight. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts