Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toldo makes Azzurri admission Thursday 23 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter ‘keeper Francesco Toldo has admitted that Italy have no real need for his services at the 2006 World Cup.

The 34-year-old has emerged as a late contender to be named as one of the three goalkeepers, but did concede that the Azzurri’s World Cup hopes had little to do with his possible selection.

“I’m happy to spend so much time with my family, but if the call came from Marcello Lippi then I wouldn’t hold back,” he told a Roman radio station on Thursday.

“Nevertheless, the goalkeepers he has already are very good and the squad seems to already have been forged. I honestly think I will be of little use.”

Lippi looks almost certain to name Juventus’ Gigi Buffon and Angelo Peruzzi of Lazio as his first and second choice.

The real competition is for the third set of gloves which currently sees Udinese’s Morgan De Sanctis and Marco Amelia or Livorno battling it out.

Toldo is unlikely to be called up, especially after basically announcing his international retirement after Euro 2004.

“Toldo told me at the start of my reign that he intended to get out of the Giro Azzurro in order to dedicate himself to his family and club side,” the Coach said earlier this month.

The former Fiorentina player has recently returned to the Inter first team after spending the last few months on the bench behind Julio Cesar.

Toldo, a star of Euro 2000, is set to end his career with the Nerazzurri after extending his contract until 2009 at the start of March.

channel4

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I will always like Toldo for his terrific performances in Euro 2000, even if he is an Interista who hates my side Milan. The image of seeing him celebrate when Holland missed their penalties and that cheeky smile will always be remembered. In a way, I am sort of glad that Buffon was injured because it gave a superb goalkeeper like Toldo the chance to perform for his country at the highest level. The same applied in 1998 when Peruzzi was injured and Pagliuca stepped in. Pagliuca did a superb job and I now like him. Italy has always had excellent goalkeepers but there can only always be one spot for them in the side.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
If Buffon got injured we would need Toldo. Toldo is the second best goalie Italy have right now so... Peruzzi is great, but Toldo is better.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I loved him too for his heroics against Holland (I fondly remember his red nose and I actually shed a tear when one of Holland's players accidentally kicked him in the face because I was so worried he might be injured and substituted; he was that phenomenal in that match) but he hasn't performed at that same level since. Granted Inter hasn't been giving him a lot of opportunities of late but Lippi needs 3 goalkeepers playing regularly for their club side. Toldo's starting matches for Inter now so that's a good sign, but I haven't seen him play like a true champion since Euro2000.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
Toldo's starting matches for Inter now so that's a good sign, but I haven't seen him play like a true champion since Euro2000.
Anyone who saw the Valencia - Inter QF of 2002-2003 Champions League would disagree completely. Toldo made the most unbelievable save ever in that match from Baraja also.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Deano said:
Anyone who saw the Valencia - Inter QF of 2002-2003 Champions League would disagree completely. Toldo made the most unbelievable save ever in that match from Baraja also.
I may have missed that match, but even if he did, that was a very long time ago.. we are now in 2006, and only 80-odd days to the World Cup. I wouldn't take that chance.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
toldo is the 2nd best 'keeper in italy by far IMO. hes the only 'keeper i would be very confident in if buffon coouldnt play

oh and btw he had a great game today

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
I may have missed that match, but even if he did, that was a very long time ago.. we are now in 2006, and only 80-odd days to the World Cup. I wouldn't take that chance.
just a question, when was the last time you saw toldo play? you are seriously underrating him, hes a much better 'keeper than peruzzi, abbiati, amelia or de sanctis is IMO

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
marlo85 said:
just a question, when was the last time you saw toldo play? you are seriously underrating him, hes a much better 'keeper than peruzzi, abbiati, amelia or de sanctis is IMO
I happen to be able to watch Inter's matches quite often.. all I'm saying is that Toldo is still a good goalkeeper, but he's nowhere near his form of Euro2000. On that form, I dare say he's a better player than Buffon.

It may be too soon for Amelia. I think Lippi has a soft spot for Peruzzi so he will definitely go. At third choice, De Sanctis will most probably be picked because of his consistency.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
marlo85 said:
When was the last time you saw Peruzzi play? Or Amelia for that matter? You are really overrating Toldo, no way he is much better than these keepers, even Buffon is not that much better, after all. But it's kind of pointless to discuss whether Peruzzi, Toldo or somene wil lbe the third goalkeeper, it's not as if he will actually play anyway.:)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
IMO peruzzi hasnt really bin that good this season and amelia has what 1 cap? so i wouldnt call amelia. anyways im fine if toldo isnt called, i was just saying that when hes in goal its the closest italy has to buffon

buffon
toldo
de sanctis=abbiati
amelia
peruzzi

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Actually Peruzzi is one of the main reasons we are fighting for UEFA Cup place and not against relegation and does it really matter how many caps Amelia has when we are talking about who is the better keeper, not who would be more useful? ;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Anomander Rake said:
Actually Peruzzi is one of the main reasons we are fighting for UEFA Cup place and not against relegation and does it really matter how many caps Amelia has when we are talking about who is the better keeper, not who would be more useful? ;)
huh? i was just saying why i wouldnt call him, even if he had 50 caps toldo is still better as is abbiati and de sanctis IMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts