Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Marcos Senna Would Be a Brazilian NT Starter

...IF he hadn't become Spanish.

Deco, for example, could never say the same thing. We've always had too many Kakas and Diegos and assorted attacking-mids competing for the same positions. And let's not even mention the Roger Guerreiros and Marco Aurelios that infested the Euros like lice on a flamenguista's head; the only way those guys could've come anywhere near the Brasilian NT would've been by purchasing tickets to watch their games.

But Marcos Senna COULD be a Brasilian NT player, if he were still Brasilian today. He's playing better than Gilberto Silva, better than Josue and better than Mineiro. At the very least, Marcos could be in Brasil's squad, but I think he could be a starter. Of course, that ship has already sailed; but I felt that it's relevant to point out that one of those "exported NT players" was good enough for us, after all.

Of course Senna wouldn't be able to singlehandedly solve our NT's current problems, especially considering that the manager's massive incompetence is one of our biggest issues - but even if we had a class manager steering the ship, the DM is easily our most problematic position nowadays. And Marcos Senna could have been part of the solution, if only he had believed in his own chances of someday making the Brasilian 1st team.

What do you think? Of course I wish him luck with his adopted NT, and adding some Brasilian talent to their local mix clearly was the solution to some of Spain's problems. :rollani: I just have to wonder how Senna would have behaved if he suspected that one day there would be a place for him at the Brasilian NT.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I agree.

But would the Brazilian NT coach would had given him the opportunity after not having one of his better years at Villarreal? One of the things that I give credit to Aragones is that not only did he call him up but he started him. Villarreal had a great year, but I thought that Senna didn't play as well as he had before.

Luis deserves tremendous credit in betting on Senna.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
In his current form no doubt he'd be a starter. Rubs salt into the wound if you're a fan of the NT as Dunga cannot seem to organise a midfield. Rather ironic considering his abilities as a player.

Seeing all these Brasilians playing for European countries is testament to the quality of Brasilian football and luckily it's a rare occurance for a player of Senna's quality and importance to slip through into the hands of another footballing federation.

Going back to Dunga and the midfield issue; what player(s) would you like to see be called up and used? Beyond Mineiro, Gilberto and Josue I cannot think of many more "5"s. Marcello Mattos looked good for Corinthians but I havent seen him for Panathinaikos. The fact he's there and not playing in a bigger league at a bigger club doesnt help his cause (in comparison look at Mascherano, same age and playing for Liverpool). Like Masche he has age on his side being 24 so could possibly improve. Kinda feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel though if we have to talk about such players.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dudu Cearense used to be a superb young prospect, then was sold to Ukraine or something and vanished. Where's that kid nowadays?

·
Administrator
30,907 Posts
I think Marcos Senna is just a limited player. All those DMs are in bad form (no doubt, they are all old, this function needs vitality) but when Mineiro and Gilberto Silva are fit, they were better than Marcos Senna is today. Just like, Mauro Silva was better when he was fit but when he aged even Flavio Conceição played ahead of him.
The problem is that our young DMs (or those who can play as volantes, not just ahead of area destroying the game) are given little chance or go too early in europe where they are destroyed by the tatical limitations of the clubs there. I think Charles, Hernandes and Mineiro would both be ahead of Mineiro, Gilberto Silva, Josue and Marcos Senna. But well, they didn't play in europe...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
come on, we have hernanes and lucas. we don't need this guy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Senna could play for brasil but that says more about the quality of holding players in Brasil right now then Senna's ability. Little bit harsh on Marco Aurelio also, not a Brasil level player but he's been excellent in the Euros and last seasons champions league.

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
Deco, for example, could never say the same thing. We've always had too many Kakas and Diegos and assorted attacking-mids competing for the same positions
I think Deco could have been usuful in WC 2006 when he has been arguably one of the best players in the world as a central midfielder. These days he is past of course. But a few years ago I would have prefered to have him on my side than as an opponent although he would have never been the first option. Don't forget he already scored against Brazil in a friendly. These accidents have to stop :doh:

And last but not least there is Pepe. Lucio, Juan and Alex are all good players but Pepe would be a Brazilian NT player as well ... and in my book as a starter.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And last but not least there is Pepe. Lucio, Juan and Alex are all good players but Pepe would be a Brazilian NT player as well ... and in my book as a starter.
I disagree... Pepe MIGHT have eventually earned a spot if he hadn't embraced Portugal, but I currently rate both our current starters and Alex above him.

But who knows, maybe someday Pepe will be the world's best CB. These things are hard to predict.

·
Administrator
30,907 Posts
What amaze me about Deco and Pepe is how fast they gave up. I mean, Pepe is certainly young and while we have good central defenders, it would be worth to try. Deco, with the twists of Parreira mind prior 2006, his great shape with Barcelona and Parreira notorious "european" bias, could certainly be in the place of Ricardinho and who knows, start to build himself some space with time. (Not to say that they didn't well or not with Portugal, but how would they know it???)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would say that Brasil has a lot of players
that is as good as Senna.
The problem with NT is not, as You also say
to blame a single player or single position.
I rather blame the management, and in many aspects.
The idea of how to play, the composition of the team and especially midfield as a whole,the balance and to select players that fit according to that and their role. Also having a balance between continuity and using players in form. Many choices seem just stubbornly conservative and no consideration of what shape the player is in.
The abundance of talented players seems to be more of a problem for the management
so instead of using it, they either hide from it or change too much.
There seem to be no ability to adapt to different game plans, too rigid, too stale and bad coaching and also selection of some players.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A mid of

Anderson --------- Lucas
Hernanes

Could be really awaesone in my eyes. We only need a Real coach and Time to give xp to those players.

Hernanes is by FAR the best 5 Brazil have.
And I think Cruzeiro's Ramirez and Charles could give some soap also.

But anyway, for sure Senna would be a NT starter. c'mon Mineiro, Gilberto and Josue is too much to my head.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll say one thing about Brasil's current DMs: I am officially fed up with Gilberto Silva. I can't stand to look at that guy wearing Brasil's shirt anymore. He has simply exhausted my patience. Today I hate seeing Gilberto play for Brasil with, I suppose, the same intensity with which most of my countrymen hated seeing Emerson play for Brasil (the main difference being, of course, that Emerson >> Gilberto).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What amaze me about Deco and Pepe is how fast they gave up.
Well,just look at the continous selection of rafael Sobis
and I´m not surprised that many young brasilian players
feel hopeless and consider something else to get an international career.
Players in Europe like Eduardo da Silva,Rafael Araujo,Welliton, Jô etc.
And domestic players like Guilherme,Diogo,Keirrison,Wellington Sousa,Hugo
that would be great to develop in a tournament like the Olympics
instead of Rafael Sobis,Pedro Oldoni,Bobo,etc.

·
Hexacampeão
1,462 Posts
Some may be against this idea, but I think we should start "protecting" our players by capping them. Sure, it may be wrong because you may end up not even using him, thus taking away the opportunity of playing for another NT. However, I think we need to be a bit selfish in these situations so we can end up using players such as Marcos Senna and Deco (hell, even Mehmet Aurelio if the likes of Mineiro and Josue can make it).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I think Marcos Senna is just a limited player. All those DMs are in bad form (no doubt, they are all old, this function needs vitality) but when Mineiro and Gilberto Silva are fit, they were better than Marcos Senna is today. Just like, Mauro Silva was better when he was fit but when he aged even Flavio Conceição played ahead of him.
The problem is that our young DMs (or those who can play as volantes, not just ahead of area destroying the game) are given little chance or go too early in europe where they are destroyed by the tatical limitations of the clubs there. I think Charles, Hernandes and Mineiro would both be ahead of Mineiro, Gilberto Silva, Josue and Marcos Senna. But well, they didn't play in europe...
great post:thmbup:

·
Administrator
30,907 Posts
Some may be against this idea, but I think we should start "protecting" our players by capping them. Sure, it may be wrong because you may end up not even using him, thus taking away the opportunity of playing for another NT. However, I think we need to be a bit selfish in these situations so we can end up using players such as Marcos Senna and Deco (hell, even Mehmet Aurelio if the likes of Mineiro and Josue can make it).
I think we are going to get in a point that it will be so ridiculous (and damaging to european teams, because it is already damaging to them that southamerican and africans are taking the place of their players in the teams, if they start to steal the place in NT with frequence it will be even worst) that FIFA will have to limit it in one way or another or we are bound to see a final between Brazil and Brazil in 2014.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts