Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that most of you forget him. None remembers him any longer? :depress: He would not play football as a footballer again? Do you know how and what is he doing these days? And I want to know how Brazilian football rate Rivaldo overall? Does he deserve a name in the Brazilian football history? It is time to . (Or he retires from football.)

Today 19 April is his 31th birthday. Let me, one of his fans, wish him all the best here. :)

To be frankly, I like him since his golden period at Barca. As a Madridista, I could not help admiring all of his even he was in our rival. He was simply too marvelous for me. On the field, he was amazing no doubt. Off the field, I also found him very humble and sportsmanlike. (I know some of you would disagree and call him diver or cheater for that move in WC 02 though. :rolleyes: Remind that he reacted the same after being directly stand on the chest by Hamann in the final. If you can't remember, just watch the tape please.)

I believe his hattrick against Valencia years ago was too incredible for all of you to forget about. Don't you think so? :devil: And his left foot never disappointed me. Too many amazaing move he had with his left foot. :stuckup: Can you recall some of them?

Anyway, his unwanted move to Milan and Kaka's appearance at Milan and the national team both indirectly drove him out. He didn't play at any European club after that. Moreover, he seems to lose interest in football. Will he retire then? I hope not. I and all the other his fans are waiting for him. :) No matter he will play again or retire, if he is happy about his decision, his fans will feel happy for him too.

Share your thoughts about him! I wanna know how is Rivaldo in your mind. (Forgive my weak English. ;) )

(The avatar I'm using is Rivaldo in the green and yellow Brazilian shirt. And it is his name in Japanese. Do you notice that?)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, people can easily be forgotten in futebol but this guy most definintely should not be forgotten. He has achieved a considerable amount in the game and a return to the yellow shirt is still there for him if he gets playing again.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Good post, Ivan. :thumbsup:
Rivaldo is not that old, is he, I hope he can still find some of his magic in the future.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Well, he HAS to sign for someone! I do think he can still play on a high level, but he needs to be PLAYING first. I applaud him for having the courage to leave Cruzeiro when the coach was fired, that's something very few players would have the guts to do... but the result from that brave act is that this excellent player is away from the pitch, which is a damn shame. :(

Rivaldo really, really really should sign for someone, if he still hopes to get his career back on track. He would fit in nicely in Flamengo or São Paulo, for example. Time is not on his side, but I hope he returns to the game soon. :hopefull: ;)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think Rivaldo has lost his interest in the game, I don't really have an explanation for my thought but it's just a gut-feeling. I don't think he can play on the high level anymore because he simply doesn't have the hunger, speed or fitness to succeed; it's the exact same reason why he failed at Milan.

The talent will always be there, and that incredible left foot is still there. He's still got some juice left in those legs but like Garrincha mentioned; he should do it now because time isn't on his side.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
I rate him very highly!

I'll take a RIVALDO over Zidane any day of the week twice on sundays. Rivaldo in his prime was amazing, in the same league as a George Best, Rivera, Rivelino, Zico, etc IMO...

I hope he returns!!!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Garrincha said, Flamengo or San Paulo should suit him. He will not go to Euro anymore. His staying in Brazil can give the national team coach a close up for himself. The national team need his quality. Even not at the starting lineup, he could be a valuable substitute when necessary. (He would not just sit on the bench though. With his quality, he should be among the starters IMO.)

To the topic, how Brazilian football rate Rivaldo overall? For example, Romario is deservedly among the best 10 Brazilian forwards all time. How is Rivaldo under the like measurement? Can Rivaldo be among the best 20 Brazilian midfielders all time? Be frank. My heart can accept any answer. ;) Give me something concrete. :)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
He is definetly among the greatest brazilians players ever. He is on the top 3 of the last decade with Ronaldo and Romario.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
Like Garrincha said, Flamengo or San Paulo should suit him. He will not go to Euro anymore. His staying in Brazil can give the national team coach a close up for himself. The national team need his quality. Even not at the starting lineup, he could be a valuable substitute when necessary. (He would not just sit on the bench though. With his quality, he should be among the starters IMO.)

To the topic, how Brazilian football rate Rivaldo overall? For example, Romario is deservedly among the best 10 Brazilian forwards all time. How is Rivaldo under the like measurement? Can Rivaldo be among the best 20 Brazilian midfielders all time? Be frank. My heart can accept any answer. ;) Give me something concrete. :)
For the first part of your post, I don't think we have any room in the NT for Rivaldo. Sorry, but quite frankly there are better players out there in his position. For christ sake, we've got Adriano and Luis Fabiano (I rate both as world-class strikers) on the bench in the NT. He's done with his international career, just like Romario. But like I've mentioned, he shouldn't retire from football all together just yet.

Is Rivaldo one of the best in Brazil's history? I wish I could answer you. I'm only 15 years old and been following the footy of this beutiful country since 1997 so I can not say much. But, he'd definately make my top 5. Alongside Ronaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho, Leonardo, Bebeto he's probably one of my favs that i've actually seen in my life. BTW, that game against Valencia was simply out of this world! Vintage Rivaldo! :star:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Sad to see such a player suddely disapear. But wait a second, when he resigned from Cruzeiro, didn't he say he retired as well from the game and would be now the agent of Kaka or something like that?:stress:

I'd be glad to see him play again for say Flamengo. That would be really cool!:thumbsup:

FORZA RIVALDO!:star:

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Milan ended Rivaldo's career, before he joined them he was a crack and they managed to finish his career... They did the same thing to Redondo too when they bought him in 2000.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would not comment if it was Milan that ended Rivaldo. But it was a truth that before joining Milan, Rivaldo still played very well. Maybe he didn't get used to the Italian style.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,31-1132365,00.html
Here a great news comes!!! Bolton interested in Rivaldooooo!!! Though that is not a big club, that he will play is good enough! :happy: :star:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
WANDERERS are preparing to pull off the most sensational signing in their 127-year history with an audacious swoop for Rivaldo -- the former European and World Footballer of the Year.

The 32-year-old Brazilian World Cup winner could be at the Reebok as early as next week after accepting Sam Allardyce's offer to get his career back on track after quitting AC Milan under a cloud in December.

If the deal comes off it will eclipse the headline-grabbing signings of French World Cup winner Youri Djorkaeff and Nigeria captain Jay-Jay Okocha, which raised Wanderers' profile on the global football map.

It is believed Rivaldo, an outstanding goal-scoring midfield architect, is staying in a Manchester hotel while discussions are taking place

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
RIvaldo gave en interview tp Barcelona's SPORT

Patrick, thank you very much for changing the picture, definitely an improvement

You are wrong about Rivaldo, as usual

He did not lose interest in the game, he did not think to retire, he still has the same motivation. In the interview he said that he intend to play in a good competition for 2 more years at least. The interview was taken in his house in Mogi Mirim

Anybody who is familiar with Rivaldo's life can understand that his biggest problem now is the lack of preparation, he never had a normal childhood, nor adolescense You Europeans can't even imagine the hardships he had to cope with. He never had the luck and good counceling that a boy like Kaka has, for example. For me his career is like a miracle. He was injured when he was 14, some wall fell on his right leg. He has a long scar and impaired use of this leg. His malnutrition in his growing years left him with deformed knees that some doctors condemned about 3 yeas ago and did not believe he could play the mundial He lost his father early and decicated himself to become a football players against all odds, mainly to fulfill his father's dream.

How he is rated in Brazil? NOt highly I am afraid. He was called many peoraive nick names like wooden leg and popcorn seller, and others that i would not mention here but most of you know. He was never forgiven for any mistake, not like some other.

On the other hand, he had quite a number of fans all over the world, and in his Pernambuco, lot of them female. Maradona said about him some years ago that he is the only player that make him enjoy football at the moment. Now he said the same about Ronaldinho Gaucho. I agree with both declarations.

Talking about LF or Adriano as Rivaldo subs in the NT has no sense. niether of them is a 10

Rivaldo, in spite of all mentioned above , achievd almost everything in football. Everything was against him, but he did it, due to persistence and hard work. His family could only give him right values, almost nothing more. He is a person of integrity and hunesty, very faithfull to his friends. Correct even with rivals.

As a man who drew his strength mainly from his family, the separation from his wife and children was the crucial issue that let him down. What you Patrick swrongly saw as lack of motivation. He was in bad shape mentally and consequently , physically.

Well , I am not an expert in such issues.
It is my private observation. maybe I am wrong. I am quite positive, though, that his background and state of mind prevented him from getting the help he needed.

He had some bad advice, some wrong decisions., and paid the price

He speaks little, does not like to attend the press , has no glamour like your golden boy Kaka, but there are some of us who can aprreciate real gold.

The quote that Kaizer brought is from a Bolton site. It is obvious that Rivaldo is persuaded to receive this offer, although he said in the a/m interview that he has patience to wait till July and come back to play well prepared. The news about Bolton surprised me. I read it in the Estadao, a solid source usually. I usually do not take English sources seriously. Anyway, i will be glad to see him playing , no matter where, for me it can be in Mogi Mirim or Bolton, as long as he is playing. His real fans will support him in any decision.

I also believe that he can still give some added value to the NT. If you, for example compare you beloved Kaka's performance when he played alongside Rivaldo (especially against Peru) and his performance in latest games , you can understand what i am talkong about. At 32, physical form can be recuparated. Don'd give up on him yet.

Here is the link to the interesting interview where he speaks of Barcelona, of his plans and more.

http://www.sport.es/Barsa/article.asp?id=86366

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Patrick said:
For the first part of your post, I don't think we have any room in the NT for Rivaldo. Sorry, but quite frankly there are better players out there in his position. For christ sake, we've got Adriano and Luis Fabiano (I rate both as world-class strikers) on the bench in the NT. He's done with his international career, just like Romario. But like I've mentioned, he shouldn't retire from football all together just yet.
rivaldo isn't a natural striker and he shouldn't compete with the likes of adriano and luis fabiano. (recall copa america 99). scolari was the first one to use him in that roll. put rivaldo in the midfield and he will do wonders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts