Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, and it doesn't matter if you support Lazio or any other team in the world.

What is most important when it comes to your favorite team?

1) The result
2) How spectacular/attractive football they play

so...do you prefer your team wins 1-0 playing bad or that your team plays great (spectacular) football but could loose 3-4 or something similar (maybe a draw and sometimes a victory of course)?

FORZALAZIO !!

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well,
I prefer the result...but at the same time i would like my team to win with attractive football...but then at the end of the day what matters are the results...no team in the world wants to loose...
Defensive football is boring and there is no doubt about that...but then again Italy beat the Netherlands with that...and does Holland have more glory because they play attacking football or Italy has more glory because they won that game...(Barcelona last year is another example..they went empty handed)
In the end, attractive football is nice but then the result is all that matters...

E

·
0 Posts
Well fortunately I am a Lazio-fan so I have the both :).
But if I had to choose, I would go with attractive football and a UEFA-cup team, rather then boring champions.

In other words I would rather pick Parma then Juve :)

FORZA LAZIO

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Attractive football at Parma? not last year...:( but next year we'll be back! :)

On to Mattias question...personally,I think that if a team plays great offencive football and has an adequate defence will be very hard to be defeated..I mean non big team allows 4 goals...Now,if the other team plays THAT well that they can beat them,I guess they deserve it...offencive football its not just the show,it also brings results...just see Brazil (not lately).So I prefer my team taking the results in style or at least trying to play offencive.A great defence secures you a draw,a great offence is the key for a win.Big teams should always play for the win apart from special circumstances.Fortunately I am a Parma fan so (with the exeption of last season when we had none of them) I enjoy both attractive football and results.

Besides,lets not forget that Juve needed serius help from the refs to beat small teams last year and they were struggling big time against them...so a tottaly defencive tactic does not guarandee you anything against small teams that come for a draw as well...

M

·
0 Posts
For me, both result and the way it is achieved are important. That's why i'm a Lazio fan!

G

·
0 Posts
I like both, but, I prefer, if a team plays spectacular and loose - if the situation isn't so important
but if this is a important game, then I prefer the result 1:0 and a bad game

·
Registered
713 Posts
nowdays there's no frontier in football , we can support any team in the world , so we have a large choice I think we can certainly find in at least one team who can product the result AND a spectacular football
that's why I've chose Lazio

P

·
0 Posts
These are the words of Il Maistro, Zinedine Zidane:
"I rather win playing 50-50 than loose playing well".

·
Registered
116 Posts
Off course, when it comes to my favourite club, it will be the Results that are more important for me than plays attractive hyperattacking football but lose. I think most people who really love and support one (only ONE) particular club would have the same idea as mine. Nonetheless, that is not the case if i was a neutral for a match like Lazio Vs Inter for example. In that case, i would prefer anyone which plays better to win.

Emir, would u still pick Parma if they play brilliantly against Lazio? or would u prefer Lazio to win this time?
A draw perhaps? :p

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I keep thinking about the Milan game :) always brings a smile and a tear to my face. I wouldn´t say that Lazio played a great game if they conceeded 4 goals because a great defence is also something beautiful.

All an all I´d go with a team that plays beautiful football but to divide them the way you ask Mattias is just not possible.

However I would never allow my team to play the way Juventus did the last season - playing just to get the result. 1 - 0 can be a great game but if a team stops playing after 1 - 0 then what´s the point ??

The thing that did it for Lazio was that we where able to score alot - I lost counts on how many 0 - 1 games we won last season ( Roma and Chelsea come to mind ).

Emir: Parma last season played some of the most awful football I´ve seen them play during the past 5 years.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sometimes Luck turns its back in the team who plays better and more attractive than the other and the result is an unjustice...Just take a look in the final of Euro2000,between ITALIA(for me they are the winners!)and france(celebrating a stolen cup is disgusting :mad: )

·
International
6,519 Posts
Well, i'd like to see results first. That kind of game we did against Juventus. We played Bad but we still won 1:0 (thanks Simeo) :)

But i love too see atractive football aswell, i love to see Manutd play in Champions League very well, though I hate them. I think RESULT is importante

E

·
0 Posts
Allright I agree Parma was a bad example, But I would still prefer Parma then Juve...
things can happen when Parma plays, when Juve plays we can take a nap and wake up after 90 minutes seeing the result 1-0 (penalty Del Piero, after Pippo dive :) )

FORZA LAZIO

P.S. I would support Lazio even if thay played with 9 defenders and marcolin on the top. Once you fall in love with the club, you can´t leave it...

Now I realize why people are not leaving Juve :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
amoroso, I am sorry but great football do not always bring great results !
The teams that Zeman has coached are perfect examples. His teams plays one of the most entertaining football in the league, but his results are never good enough to win something.

The fans loves the way their team plays when Zeman is the coach but when you then at the end of the season look in the league table and see that you are far away from the first place, you start thinking if it's better with great football or good results.

I choose results before everything else ! (my personal opinion)
That's why I was happy when Eriksson took over after Zeman, because although Eriksson's team are not so entertaining it ends with a trophy or two every season :)

FORZALAZIO !!

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Still Mattias,if my team played defence and catenaccio like Juve and Italy (minus the final) did I would probbly accept it,not say its good because its football...just dont turn your back to reality.

9 out of 10 teams that play great football get resluts as well...

Svennis,Parma last year didnt play great football but the worst I've ever seen in 5 years? bull****...

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Apart from noticing that the title of this topic seems deadwrong (as it's CERTAINLY not designed for Juve fans) :), I have a few comments:

If you wanted to watch spectacular football all the time you wouldn't be supporting an Italian team. Some clubs have their minds set to be entertaining always, no matter the consequences. You would look for Barca, Real M. the top Dutch sides etc. etc.
The Italian teams may in most ways be the best, have the best players and everything, but they do not play the most attractive football.
I'm not going to go out on the limp to defend Juve here, as this year was one of the least impressive performances I've ever seen from them from a style point of view. I won't accept however that an impression is being made of Juve being the most boring side in the world. AMO's Cattenaccio theories seem's a bit strange as Juventus were the team which had the most shots at goal last season of any serie A team. You can look it up if you doubt me. Our problem was that D.P couldn't score to save his life, Inzaghi missed LOADS of big chances as well, and our reserves rarely got the chance to do better. I'm not saying it was spectacular because it wasn't but we created a lot of chances and ought to have won much more convincingly on many occasions.
Had we scored on a higher percentage of our chances we still wouldn't have played spectacular, but few people would have noticed.
Which brings me on to Lazio.......
I mean come on! You won Lo scudetto, had a great season throughout and ended up with the second highest goal tally if I remember correctly. But you rarely played champagne football either. If you like the concept of Miha pin-pointing a player with a 50 metre pass that's fine, but apart from when Veron or Nedved took the reigns and played great matches Lazio didn't look impressive either. Don't get me wrong- I thought you looked like a good, competent, hard to beat side, but it's not like you re-invented football or anything, as it would seem when you look at some of the posts from Lazio fans in this topic.
The only team that impressed me playing wise from time to time was Roma, but they obviously crumbled when playing the big teams apart from the first derby. I don't remember any super convincing performances from Lazio in the CL apart from the demolition of Marseille and honestly- they were 5th from bottom in their league at the time, had numerous injuries and nothing to play for + the (granted:)) great match where Chelsea was totally dominated at Stamford Bridge.
There were no Barca-Chelsea, Barca-Viola, Valencia-Barca, Real-Bayern (2-4), Man.U-Valencia or Man.U-Real.M performances from Lazio as I remember it.
Johan Cruijff said after the first round of the CL that Lazio looked like the best team because they never lost even when they played awfull and that was true in a number of matches. Note that I'm not saying you weren't playing more entertaining football than Juve, but get of your high horses.

I'm not writing this to get back at you because of all the Juve hints, but simply because I don't think the Italian football is the most enjoyable from an art point of view. I love it for it's intensity, passion, the rivalries and ofcourse because Juve is MY team.
Therefore- to answer Mattias question- I would always pick winning ugly before losing beutifully when dealing with my favourite team. If I'm neutral I'm not watching football unless there's a chance to see spectacular play or it's matches of big importance.

I don't believe anyone who prefers losing in fashion to winning ugly. Not if the team has a shot at winning anything that is.

Ciao.

[Edited by Glen on 05-07-2000 at 02:07]

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
I'm with Eringi on this one.
I'd always prefer the result. One of the most horrible things alive is that you play an attractive game and lose (happened to Italy and Holland). True fans don't care how the victory was achieved, but that it was achieved.
Milan did it once back in the 70th i think. She played the same as Italy played throughout the tournoment for all across the league and finally got the schudette. It was the ugliest championship ever achieved.
But Soccer is about achieving goals, about putting the ball inside this big white square. Not attack and miss as much as you can, or score as much as you can.

Bottom line, i'm with Eringi. "attractive football is nice but then the result is all that matters..."

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Result is more important for me because they don't give you cups or you can not win a title without the results.
Nobody talks about the way you played football after years.
Remember World Cup 82 Italy played catenaccio and won.But after 18 years everybody talks about the world champions.
If Italy did not conceeded that goal at 93'th minute nobody would remember the football and holland match !
But if you are an ordinary team everybody admires your football even if you loose !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts