Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Do we have a great physical DM like Desailly? No...
Do we have great natural wingers like Donadoni, or insanlely gifted attacking mids being transformed by Don Capello as wingers, like Savicevic and Boban? No...

Therefore, the solid 442 with 2 DMs and 2 wingers are not possible. And we do not have the legs to run like the '94 Milan too...

Just play possession and defeat Barca in the Carlo's way. We can't sit back with the crop of players we've got. We are a team to hold the ball and tire the opponents, not an imtimdating or a physical team at all.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Talking clearly, Barça LOVE to have the ball and I don't think Milan have the kind of team to defend for 180 minutes. To win Barça, you need to disconnect our midfield and have the ball as much as you can, then we suffer.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Talking clearly, Barça LOVE to have the ball and I don't think Milan have the kind of team to defend for 180 minutes. To win Barça, you need to disconnect our midfield and have the ball as much as you can, then we suffer.

With all due respect to you and your team, did you actually watch the '94 final? We didn't play defensive football as Crujf expected us to do so with the injury list we had, and we did surprise him by going all out aggreswive aka Sacchian football, and defeat you COMPLETELY. :devil:

We didnt defend for 90 minutes to begin with. We overrun you and scored FOUR. And about the 'disconnect your midfield and have the balls etc', Capello did JUST THAT.;)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Not totally Capello style although I think against barca it could be better to have an organised defence and to counter.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Deano said:
Not totally Capello style although I think against barca it could be better to have an organised defence and to counter.

Ususally, I am all for a counter-attacking approach in away games, however,

THis time I am all for playing our 'own' games instead of going defensive, the two legs with Barca last season should have taught us something.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Elephant King said:
With all due respect to you and your team, did you actually watch the '94 final?
Sadly, yes.

We didnt defend for 90 minutes to begin with. And about the 'disconnect your midfield and have the balls etc', Capello did JUST THAT.;)
Yeah... to say the truth I don't remember that final very well, since I don't like to review it. The last image I have of Capello was that Barça-Juve some years ago. I was refering to that.

The reference to 1994 was about Barça, not about Capello, in the sense that we're not that careless in defense nowadays.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes the two legs last season you would have gone through on away goals. In the end if you can sure up that defence which still seems dodgy then you have the abilities to score with the strikers you have.

Another thing, how come your organisation on FK's is so crap... your defence totally ignores the defensive line which you should hold to stop attackers moving in to six yards before the balls even played. Instead your whole team drops back and puts so much pressure on Dida and themselves.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Deano said:
that's the only way to play them in my view, ok you have to press the midfield but making the game too open will be suicide.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,842 Posts
Barca can't be overplayed on attacking front. Milan has to play in careful fashion and above all avoid stupid mistakes in the back. Milan will score some goals from counterattacks anyway as Barca's defense is still pretty vulnerable when going against world class attackers. So it's not necessary to try and take the control over the midfield and win the possession (especially as it would be a pretty hopeless feat anyway), Milan just has to play a solid game in the back and hope for the best. What will be the key question is if the defense line+Gattuso can make life hard for the supertrio of Ronnie, Messi and Eto'o. If Milan fails in that aspect then they don't have a chance.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Barca can't be overplayed on attacking front. Milan has to play in careful fashion and above all avoid stupid mistakes in the back. Milan will score some goals from counterattacks anyway as Barca's defense is still pretty vulnerable when going against world class attackers. So it's not necessary to try and take the control over the midfield and win the possession (especially as it would be a pretty hopeless feat anyway), Milan just has to play a solid game in the back and hope for the best. What will be the key question is if the defense line+Gattuso can make life hard for the supertrio of Ronnie, Messi and Eto'o. If Milan fails in that aspect then they don't have a chance.
I have already stated that if you are to achieve this then I believe one of Pirlo and Seedorf must be dropped as I believe that these two could get seriously over-run by a faster/stronger Barcelona team. It would be fine to have both of these if Milan were garaunteed the ball, but I pretty much doubt it. Either Maldini should go to LB and Serginho move forward or Ambrosini should start. The thing with Pirlo despite his bad form is that you know on counter-attacks his great passing may be needed, but at the same time dropping Seedorf, I cant see Ancelotti doing so.

I think Milan will play their team, try and play good defence with it and score. I think you can score, but not sure about the good defence part.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,842 Posts
Pirlo has to start as Milan needs his excellent long passes in attacking buildup, especially against Barca where quick counterattacks will be very important.

But starting Ambro for Seedorf might be a good idea indeed.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Agreed Andy, but I said it with caution

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I see people's consensus is to drop Seedorf, which I think would be a suicidal move.

Seedorf is a BIG GAME player and delievers at the biggest stage. His performances against Bayern and Lyon have just reassured that. And he's known for killing giants with his long range shots and complete game.

Yes he's inconsistent, but he's more 'on' than 'off' in those big games, he just delievers when the pressure comes.

Gattuso can't be dropped, Kaka as well, Seedorf is the main man for these games IMO.

So the choice is among Pirlo and Ambrosini.

Pirlo for the home game, Ambro in the Nou Camp for me.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
EK... the home games is where you can lose this tie though. I mean if Barca score an away goal or two and Milan dont beat this then the Nou Camp will be a very difficult place to win in.

·
Gran Sheik of XTMCMM
261 Posts
The best way to beat Barca in my opinion is to use the infamous christmas tree formation albeit a modified version of it that I saw during the Milan Bayern first leg game.

I might be wrong on this but during the 1st leg Bayern game, I believe that Sheva was pushed back on the right side of the midfield with Gila playing as a lone striker. I think that with kaka on the left, Sheva on the right with Pippo playing in front of the christmas tree formation would do wonders and outplay Barca in the style that Man U was last year.

i propose the following formation for the away game at the nou camp

------------------------------------Dida------------------------------
-----Cafu/Costacurta---------Nesta----------Kaladze----------(Serginho)Maldini--
------------------(Cafu)Gattuso----------Pirlo---------------Serginho(Ambrosini)-------
----------------------------Sheva----------------Kaka---------------
-----------------------------------Pippo-----------------------------

In my opinion not only will this formation will be compact, it would be perfect for counter attacking football because of the speed of the players. Cafu and serginho on top form will rip apart the Barca defence.
The only problem I see is if Maldini would be able to play in his old role of left back. If Gattuso plays the way like he did in the Lyon game then guys I am confident that Ronnie boy is going to get schooled

1 - 20 of 102 Posts