Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The copmilation of Argentine youth was fantastic.
But are some of them being overrated.
For example, the bulk of the players you have mentioned took part part in the W/youth cup 1999 & Olympic qualifiers. And they did miserably in both.
Scaloni at Deportivo is kept out of the team by a Spanish youngster.
Saviola it looks like has lost his scoring touch.
Montenegro failed at Marseille.
I also watched a few other youngsters in the Torneos de verano & they looked quite ordinary. eg. Damien Alvarez. Victor Zapata looked lively though.

Note: Who is this Marinelli that Middlesboro signed? what's happening with him. And another young striker at Marseille.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Soman, thanks for the compliment. I'm glad that you enjoyed the compilation.

Although, I offer an enthusiastic view, of the players capabilities. I don't think, that I necessarily over hyped the qualities of the players.

In reply to the some of your comments. I would say that yes Argentina was disappointing both in the last World Youth Cup and in the Olympic qualifiers. In my opinion I believe that the root of the dismal performances stemmed from the fact that the team did not blend well together so that the team could meet it's objectives on the pitch. Secondly, the tactics applied by the Manager (Pekerman) were not well interpreted by some of the players.

Regardless, much was expected of this team, for both the World Youth Cup and Olympic qualifiers and unfortunately those expectations were not met. The fact the many of the players did not blend well so that the team would have emerged more successful in their ventures, does not discredit the fact that as individuals these players have tremendous talent and real long term ability as individual players.

Scaloni: Give him more time, he has all the makings of a future star. Although, he has not seen mach playing time in the past season, any thing is possible in football. He has a lot to offer.

Saviola: He has not lost any of his scoring touch, granted that he has not been scoring as regularly, but this guy will have an amazing future. I think that this season, he is learning to do a lot of work off the ball. This will only enhance his overall development. He still is scoring, and the number of goals will only continue to increase.

Montenegro: Although, it may not have worked out for him at Marseille (he is only on loan he has not been sold) that may change. He was in need of the first team football that he is enjoying at Independiente. He is still highly rated, and only time will determine his future abilities.

Alvarez: How many games did you watch? In Argentina he is held in high regard. You watched him during the Torneo de Verano, not in competitive play. Trust me he has a bright future ahead of him.

Marinelli: Marinelli, has extraordinary natural ability, an all around excellent attacking midfielder or playmaker with an exceptional left foot. Barely 18 years old he has played well for Middlesboro's reserve team. He made his second appearance for the first team last week and performed very well. Marinelli, should see more playing time next season. A fine talent, he has impressed many with is technique and high degree of skill that he possess.

[This message has been edited by czar (edited 13-05-2000).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts