Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to an academy try out in a few weeks, 3 to be exact. Im wondering anyone know what they are gonna expect of me, what will they be looking at? Its quite a high academy here. Im a striker, I like the fancy footwork, stepovers, long runs bit like Cristiano but I am not always so confident in matches incase I make a wrong move and I dont want to risk that for the try out, should I just stick to the basics? Any help will be much appreiciated. :thumbsup:

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
man, dont be THAT fancy(some managers don't like that kind of play) ,, just be strong and look cold like u dont give a damn ;)

concentrate on what they tell u to do, and do it efficently :)

good luck
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Go in there work hard, and work even when you don't have the ball. In football as in life an important thing is being aware of your surroundings, know what's going on, and know how you affect what's going on around you as well. Pull a defender to the side to make room for another palyer etc. Ohh and scoring helps ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think for a striker it is important to be direct in your approach. The fancy and flashy stuff is entertaining to watch for the fans but it doesn't necessarily give results.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Just do the basics better than everyone else, don't worry about the fancy stuff. :)

Shall we expect you to be lining up for the Glory in a few years time?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
If I were a coach, and I could give a young striker one piece of advice it would be that good strikers follow each other. By that I mean when your strike partner makes a run from one place to another, you run into the space where he was, in the hope that he will have taken the defender with him and you'll be left with enough space to build a house.

As a central defender I can honestly say that if you have 2 pacey strikers who are adept at doing that, you'll have a nightmare day at the office.

Also don't be afraid to be caught offside. If you constantly hang around on the shoulder of the last defender and try and anticipate when the pass will come, you might get caught offside 4 or 5 times a game, but equally the chances are that a couple of times you will time your run just right or maybe the referee will get it wrong and you'll be through one-on-one to score 2 of the easiest goals you can get. Gamble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts