Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite sad that i now have to root for our primos the Brazilians again when we finally had a team capable of winning the cup ourselves. We cleary lost due to mismangament and not enough preparation. Antonio Oliveira did get us to the World cup that had eluded us for 16 years but then he fuc*ken screwed us in the end. How he could bench one of the best attacking center mids in the world in Rui Costa for that batstard Joao Pinto no one will ever know. How he could start Vitor Baia who played decent but helped get us in that hole versus U.S. instaed of future superstar keeper Ricardo i will always wonder. My heart physically hurts every time i think of that image of Figo crying and Sergio Conceicao sitting on the pitch head buried in his wet portugal jersey drying his tears. Oh how my heart hurts. This was our time. This was the best chance we ever had and Antonio Oliveira god have mercy on his soul screwed us. Now i must again root for our cousins Brazil who i love but no where even close to how much i LOVE MY PORTUGAL. I dont know if i can ever wear my figo jersey again with all the painful memories it will bring. it is truly sad to see two of my favorite players in the whole world cry. this World Cup definately shaved some years off my life. And it also did the same to my poor dad who has a heart problem that just got worse. But enough sulking. There is nothing we can do now but wait for Euro 2004. What a waste of talent though. Hopefully this will never happen again.:depress:

FORCA BRAZIL
BETTER YET

!!!FORCA PORTUGAL!!!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Stuff Brasil!!

My only wish for the rest of the tournament is for Italy to do over Sth Korea and reallyshow to the world they are only fried rice chefs who need the help of officials to win games

All I say my interest nis over in this tournement

Bring on 2004......exciting times with new faces

·
Registered
642 Posts
I cant stand it when Portuguese people say we have to root for Brazil - fuk Brazil. If u wanna go for them fine, but dont expect that we should all go for em cause of some past history.

I only go for Portugal - thats just me.

Now who cares who wins, if anything Ill go for the underdogs who havnt won anything.

Yer i really want Brazil to win another world cup so they can think their even better than they already think they are.

geez

·
Registered
137 Posts
OG BENFIQUISTA said:
I cant stand it when Portuguese people say we have to root for Brazil - fuk Brazil.
I gotta say this OG. YOu and I rarely are in agreement over anything (its Marco by the way) but this comment...man....it's a work of art. It's better than any song, or poem out there. You truly are an artist. And this ain't no sarcasm.

As per why I dislike Rui, flashback to 1997---he missed an open goal against the Germans when we were winning 1-0 and then got yellow carded (correct call) for not being smart when getting off the pitch.

Cout 5--you hit the nail on the head. The interest in the tournament (mine at least) is officially dead. Though if I had to pick a team that I'd like see win, Germany.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lomes...

You really believe Rui's 2nd yellow in Germany was legit. That is never, and I mean never called.

I've read War and Peace twice in the time it takes for some guys to get off the field for a sub.

That call is an easy way to %&@# a team because yes, Rui was in fact walking off, but a lot of players make the token jog, then walk most of the way to the sideline.

Or is it because he came up with Benfica? If that's the reason, then I give up; because club issues should be superceded by the nation's interests.

BTW... Cheering for Germany is pathetic. They corrupt the game; it flies over most people's heads and you still would want Germany to win. That hurts.

I too have lost interest in the WC. As I said before I will stick to watching fair contests of skill like Wrestling and Figure Skating.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Figo Rules said:
a lot of players make the token jog, then walk most of the way to the sideline
He didn't 'token' jog at all. He walked...and walked...and is still walking.

And no, the fact that he played for Benfica and was brought up by Benfica is not a factor. Look at Paulo Sousa. Same situation, but is probably, by far, my favorite player outside Portugal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, I'll keep watching and waiting for the next player to get a yellow card for that, because I'll probably grow old waiting for a player to get his 2nd yellow in a game for that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have no respect for Portuguese who automatically cheer for Brazil when the chips are down for Portugal...it's bad enough they instantly become glory-hunters as soon as Portugal loses, but the worst part is that this "switcheroo" is becoming a stereotype for us and they're contributing to it...:mad:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
You know what hereing all of you guys speak makes me have flash backs and think more. If we qualified for the 1994 & 1998 World Cup, we would have won this one. We probably could have took it in 1998 if we qualified for 1994. We had and have some of the greatest players in world, its sad to see that that potential never led up to anything grand.

I said this before in another topic and I'll say it again.

They say 3rd times a charme and the Portuguese fans believed it too, and now they think their wrong, but they are not. Listen we may have only gone 3 times, but out of those 3 times we only had 2 teams that were up to the class of the other super powers. So time will tell if I am right. I just hope that it is in my lifetime.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Lomes said:

I gotta say this OG. YOu and I rarely are in agreement over anything (its Marco by the way) but this comment...man....it's a work of art. It's better than any song, or poem out there. You truly are an artist. And this ain't no sarcasm.

As per why I dislike Rui, flashback to 1997---he missed an open goal against the Germans when we were winning 1-0 and then got yellow carded (correct call) for not being smart when getting off the pitch.

Cout 5--you hit the nail on the head. The interest in the tournament (mine at least) is officially dead. Though if I had to pick a team that I'd like see win, Germany.
Well i guess we'll have to agree this once hey Macca.;)

Ill tell yous this I watched the gaem at a Portuguese festival in Sydney with nearly 1000 cheering Portuguese fans, & the two friends I went with happen to be Brazilian. I never judge people by their nationality and though Ive had a few blues with Brazilians who on the most part dislike Portugal for wahteva reasons, these two mates of mine are good blokes and where cheering for Portugal. After the game one of em said tht now Ill have to go for Brazil and I told him sorry mate I dont give a phuk about Brazil or the WC anymore now that my team was out, if they go well, good Ill be happy for my mates. Realistically though id rather see a team like Senegal win it, an underdog whos never achieved at the WC.

·
Registered
642 Posts
About Rui - he is probably the player I feel most sotrry for, him and Conceicao - they both are team players.

Poor Rui was hard done by in Germany just like he was hard done by at this WC, at probably his last chance to represent his country, he puts his hand up to replaced if its for the good of the team. So the nice guy gets benched and the whining Pinto gets his spot.

Out of all the big names on this team I dget rid of nearly all of em including Figo (until he gets his fitness bak)

Baia - never again
Jorge Costa - never again
Couto - in by the skin of his teeth
Beto - not an NT player for me
Bento - getting old
Figo - not in shape

the ones id include in the NT

Rui Costa - still has the skills, will have a better year at AC Milan
Capucho - give him some playing time
Conceicao
Petit
Frechaut
Ricardo
Caneira
Andrade
Simao
Dany
Viana
Leal
Quaresma

time to bleed some new blood into our NT, theres no way I wanna see those old and slow generation still playing at EURO 2004 - unl3ess ther in good form.

Our NT should be chosen based on the form of the players not on the reputation of theri names - something Oliveira knows nothin about!

As the sign in Porto read to greet him
"At least make one right decision and resign now"

·
Registered
642 Posts
Nuno Gomes
Postigia
Miguel (i hope will be ready in two years)
Pauleta - will he be too old by 2004 uhhm
who else??
Carvalho - looks like a good d, shame his a porko
who else??
anywasy lets see some new faces and get over this "golden generation"

·
Registered
642 Posts
Tiago
Moreira

hat to through some of my boys in there.
I think their future NT, probably not by 2004 doe.

Meira -why was he left out, hes a solid player(when in form). He should have been taken instead of Barbosa (differnt pos. i know) which was a waste of a selection spot.

·
The One and Only
1,650 Posts
I dont care what you guys say but

All I have to say is

VIVA ESPAÑA

Spain ALL THE WAY.

THEY DESERVE THEIR FIRST WORLD CUP

IM CHEERING FOR THEM
NOT ITALIA NOT BRAZIL

BUT IF THEY CANT PULL IT OF

LETS GO MEXICO OR SENEGAL :) ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
The WC is dead to me.

I was cheering for Belgium but they did not have external forces on their side.
I would've liked to see Mexico go far, but apparently you can use your hand, as long as you're from the U$$$A.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Figo Rules said:
The WC is dead to me.

I was cheering for Belgium but they did not have external forces on their side.
I would've liked to see Mexico go far, but apparently you can use your hand, as long as you're from the U$$$A.
Typical Cannuck! :tongue:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts