Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know Samp fans don't really want to think about it to much but the dream is always in sight.The possibility of playing Champions league football seems a very possible chance next season,battling with Inter,Udinese,Roma and Palermo for the 2 remaining spots won't be impossible.
Per sognare non costa niente.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I agree that a lot of it will depend on how lucky we are with injuries/suspensions, given how small the squad is.

I think the main prioroty shold be qualifying for Europe: it looks like 6 of the top 7 will get it (or is it just 5? I'm ignoring Coppa Italia and the possibility of Italian teams winning CL or UEFA cup), and it's pretty close there.

I'd back the 'big' four (Milan, Juve, Inter, and Roma) for CL, Samp have a chance but realistically should just make sure they don't let UEFA Cup go again: it'd be a total waste of a season, to be honest with you, as a lot of clubs (eg Lazio, Fiorentina) are under a period of transition and not competing as they might do.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hammarby won the Swedish league a few years ago with a very thin squad. They were very lucky avoiding injuries and bans, and could eventually hold out against clubs with deeper squads, so nothing is impossible. Personally I thought any challenge for the CL would be at least some five years away, so if we'd actually get there it'd be a huge bonus. If we don't reach the UEFA Cup I'll be disappointed, but not if we miss the Champions League.

What's really interesting, though, is that we've lost so many unnecessary points this season. Remember that we lost like four out of the first five matches? That's quite a handicap for the other teams we're competing against. And remember games such as Inter and Roma away, and why not Lazio and Brescia at home? Of course these things even out, but we could (perhaps even should?) have even more points, and we've done all this with only one good forward, as opposed to two last season. Samp should in all cases be very proud of their campaign so far.

·
Registered
47,339 Posts
I agree with Lennon. I even think that some of our players are underrated. Tonetto for example is hardly considered by the sporting newspapers and TV programs. Good for us...

After Palermo-Roma I'm more confident about CL (Roma -6). And tonight forza Milan! :D

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
If Samp reach the CL they will need at least 1 more great attacker, midfielder and defender to compete in the CL. Still they have players like Tonetto, Falcone, Volpi and Flachi who are easily good enough to play for Italy alongside the likes of Diana and Antonioli as well.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Tonetto for example is hardly considered by the sporting newspapers and TV programs. Good for us...
And good for me in the Fantasy league, all that's keeping me above the relegation zone :eek:

Anyway, I see no reason why Samp would not be able to get to the CL. You have a good team, a good coach and a attacker in the form of his life, who punishes every team he faces, or close to it.

I think Samp will clinch it above Udinese in the end.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Cacìni said:
I think Samp will clinch it above Udinese in the end.
This is a very important aspect that you bring up here. We keep asking ourselves whether Samp are up to it. But what about the other teams? Are they up to it? Like Toni said Roma lost today (on the other hand that meant Palermo won... :rolleyes: ), and I don't particularly believe in teams like Udinese and Roma in the long run. Inter are always a rollercoaster, but at least they haven't lost and they have loads of quality in the squad, so the *should* finish above us. But I do think that all the teams close to us in the table will bring us a challenge, so let's just hope that Milan win the derby tonight...

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It´s going to be really hard when the season comes to an end. It´s not just the scudetto-race that´s interesting, the fight for euro-places have never been harder. But if I have to guess, i say Juve,Milan,Inter,Samp(CL)|Palermo,Udinese,Roma(UEFA)|
Well good luck anyways and forza Inzaghino!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
In many ways it would be super cool if you went and did it.

Like Toni said, many of your players are underrated, but at the same time, there are honestly few obvious profiles that bigger fish would want to snap up. That's very different from Udinese and to a lesser extent Palermo.

It's not at all unfeasible that you could keep your entire roster (if you want) and simply add quality with the incomming CL money. Surely- your baragaining position would change radically if you're in CL, and the money he tournament brings could really transform Sampdoria.

In that sense, I think Samp (leaving Inter out of the equation) could be the club among the chasers profitting the most in terms of making progress as a club.

At the same time it's obvious that Roma is the team that really needs it the most. Samp would grow a lot (as would Palermo, but they appear to have the funds to stay ambitious regardless), but for Roma it is a matter of maintaining a super star studded squad, and failure means real trouble.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
ToniSamp, if I'm not mistaken, I was reading the NY Times a few weeks ago and they were talking about the emergence fo Sampdoria in a foreign league (obviously the serie A) and they said the owner businessman is planning on injecting CASH CASH CASH into theclub after this season if they make the CL. Is that true?

·
Registered
47,339 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
ToniSamp, if I'm not mistaken, I was reading the NY Times a few weeks ago and they were talking about the emergence fo Sampdoria in a foreign league (obviously the serie A) and they said the owner businessman is planning on injecting CASH CASH CASH into theclub after this season if they make the CL. Is that true?
No, it's false. The owner, Garrone, has always said that he is not going to inject cash into the club cause he thinks that he has injected more than enough till now. Infact he supports Della Valle in the attempt to get a fairer share of the money coming from TVs.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Hmm then something is weird. CUz it was in the Times, and last time I checked they don't lie unles its a fake reporter...Let me dig up the story, its gonna tkae some time cuz its an archived by now and i need to pay for it

·
Registered
47,339 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Hmm then something is weird. CUz it was in the Times, and last time I checked they don't lie unles its a fake reporter...Let me dig up the story, its gonna tkae some time cuz its an archived by now and i need to pay for it
Don't waste your money, Pulsar. I listened to many interviews to Garrone and the music has always been the same. ;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Then what are your feelings as an Italia supporter and Samp supporter for making it to the CL?

I mean we want to put in a great showing...do you think you have the tools to make it happen?

·
Registered
47,339 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Then what are your feelings as an Italia supporter and Samp supporter for making it to the CL?

I mean we want to put in a great showing...do you think you have the tools to make it happen?
The CL would be fantastic, a dream. I don't think that we have any chances when compared to clubs like Real Madrid or Barcelona or Chelsea, not with this team at least, but I'd be happy with a participation in the groups stage.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I think with some good luck and good play and advantage of home , you can advance to the round of 16 and put up a good showing.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Let's not forget that Serie A is one of the strongest leagues in the world, so if you reach the CL from it, you ARE a pretty good team by European standards (which is to say by any standards). So Sampdoria would definitely be equipped for a good run even with today's squad, but if they'd really, REALLY want to challenge for honours, they'll have to strengthen a bit.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I think Samp would definitely make a good enough showing, they are a solid team, v difficult to break down, and play descent football. But the squad is too small, I don't think we could play are 1st XI twice a week all the time, and the moment we lost any of our key players eg Volpi, Falcone, Flachi we'd get mauled by the likes of Real, Barca, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.

Also, up front Samp are simply not good enough to get past top class defenses, just look at how hard we find it to break down teams like Brescia and Chievo..

Anyway, I think it's a bit premature to talk about CL just yet, the moment the Udinese chairman started talking of bonuses for CL qualification they totally collapsed, 8 points in 8 games..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts