Xtratime Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
do you get sky sports commentry over there? :D
they wouldnt stop banging on about it all through the game.

#1 target they says for the summer has to be a goalkeeper.
It does not make sense if you look at your statistics. Carroll is number 3. So, if Crystal Palace go down, does Gabi stay with them?

· Registered
2,841 Posts
sanyi said:
if the USA is qualified at all
:howler:
sanyikam,

You do not know what you are talking about....

The US team has more depth and more possibilities than the Magyar Team. The US has a great Manager in Bruce Arena. Lothar would do well to understudy with him. Bruce knows how to take players and make "teams" out of them.

The US is getting consistently better than before through the depth of players we have. They are coming out of the woodwork here. Players to watch, Eddie Johnson (20), Clint Dempsey(22), Pat Noonan(22), Eddie Gaven(19). Freddy Adu is realy coming on strong this year. If he keeps impacting games for DC United, he may get called up to the senior squad.

The difference in the US today is they are fearless. These players feel they can take on anybody. The US has beaten Germany, Brazil, Argentina, England, Portugal, Austria, Poland, and others.

Oh...the US is second in their group right now on 3 games. We are expected to either win our group, but definately qualify with Mexico and Costa Rica.

One more thing, this weekend Bruce is fielding primarily his "B" Team too. Many of his European based players will not be playing due to injury or fatigue.

Regarding Tim Howard:

I think Man Utd need to loan Timmy out next year to give him playing time. When he was at the Metrostars, he was active in all his games and made "spectacular" saves. I believe that was the original intent when they bought him two years ago. SAF should have stayed with the plan, but got impatient with Barthez.

Tim has the athletic ability, he needs to improve on the mental aspect of his game. That is what is killing him right now. When he is confident, he is a great goalkeeper. Think about it though, he is critiqued for every little move he makes at Man Utd. Was his feet in the right place? Did he throw the ball right? He should not have scratched his head..How would anyone perform under constant criticism?

And, Man Utd fans have to get over it. It was not goalkeeping that kept them from winning anything this year. It was pretty simple, they did not score enough goals. Leave Carroll alone about the AC Milan game. I want to know, why did Scholes miss his open opportunity in the first half of the game? What if Fortune had finished his chance? Frankly, that was the pivotal moment in the game, not Carroll's dropped shot.

But Scholes is off limits when it comes to criticism. Rooney and Ronaldo need to finish their chances. They created them, but just missed the post, just over the bar, into the goalkeeper does not cut it. They need to learn how to truly finish their chances. Near misses become a mental thing too.

As Timmy said, it takes 11 guys to win and it takes 11 guys to lose. Man Utd fans need to leave both Carroll and Howard alone. Their problems are bigger than the goalkeeping. It has more to do with goal production and losing or tying lower table teams when they should be winning.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
well, he was offered a contract since 18months ago.
he refused to sign, so they offered Howard an extension.
so Carrols contract offer was withdrawn.

the cant keep two numbers 2's ;)

Casillas, Frey and Given have been added to the wanted list today.

I dont want Alex... Kameni im not sure.

Frey looks the most likely to me.
They are all shite! Bring back Schmeichel!!! (Just kidding)
:cool:

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Andorovic said:
Forlan should stay with Villareal :( that team fits him more than Man utd
I agree that Forlan should stay in Spain.

Hah! I got something right for a change, eh Bentex? I said all along that SAF was going to back to Plan A with Timmy. Prepare him to be the long term number one.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
pista bácsi,
please stop this now :)
do you really feel Howard was benched because of one mistake?
Howard had a dreadful time so far at Man Utd where he made several mistakes. Not only Fergie thought he was not up to the job but every (non american) Man Utd fan too.

also you forget Barthez was number 1 for 3 years with all the mistakes he made.
Listen, if Howard does not get his chance in two years, you can rip on me and say I was full of shite all along. But, I believe he will be the number one. He has made mistakes, but the Kid will bounce back and get on track. Look at Friedel. He was considered a failure at Liverpool, but a success at Blackburn. SAF must see something in Tim to have let Carroll go.

The bigger problem at Man U is their goal production. If they do not produce the goals against the lower level clubs, they are not going to win anything. I do not care who they have in goal. The tragedy of last year was Scholes miss against AC Milan at home. He had the whole left side of goal open and he shot it wide. Had he made it, the game would have been totally different.

For the record, I think they did a good job in getting VDS. He is what they need and will do the job for Man Utd. He is the experienced keeper that can keep his cool under pressure.

Did you see the Van Nistelrooy goal against Finland? Looked like the RVN of old-he created the goal. On the flip side, Van Persie looked extremely dangerous after he came on to replace him.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
he didnt let Carrol go, he had a contract offer on the table for about 8 months. Howard was offered a new contract once Carrol failed to sign it.

Only after Howard signed Carrol said he wanted to stay and then the contract offer was withdrawn.
Whatever...:groan: You are not going to give me one inch on the subject. So, let's just shelf the topic. In two years time if he is not starting and doing great things, you can say, "latod, te huyle?"

In the meantime, do the Michael Owen rumors have any legs at Man U, or is it all speculation at this time?

· Registered
2,841 Posts
New Season

I saw this on Soccernet, I thought it was a pretty good summation of what to expect from United this year:

Oh god, where to start? Maybe at Gigg Lane where many fans have decamped to form their own FC United after finally losing their mojo for the club once Uncle Malcolm had stepped in.

Or maybe at Old Trafford where the team is not markedly different from that which flopped badly last year in the Premiership and Champions League and was truly unfortunate in the FA Cup Final. If I were an Arsenal fan, I'd be embarrassed.

Keane is past it and crotchety. Scholes looks like he no longer cares. Ditto Giggo for the most part. And Ruud's head has headed west, or at least to Spain. Thank god for Rooney and Ronaldo. Wouldn't swap them for anyone.

It with these two that hopes rest. And the hope that Fergie gets his marbles back - tales of Carlos 'Baldpatch painter' Queiroz running the show and Sir Alex wandering the training ground in slippers are worrying to say the least. I think Chelsea can rest easy. They'll p*ss it. Sorry, but they will. Shame to see Cuddly Pete's smile show off those shark-like teeth but I'm afraid so.

And as for Rio: Sign up or disappear (with Joel, Avi and Bryan pocketing the loot), Mr Forgetful Wobblygob.

Pan Tang Tyger, Manchester United fan

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
football is not played on paper, its played on gyep :)

I have a couple of videos I need to upload for you, I think you will like them.
I suppose it is Van De Saar's fault they loss today. What the hell, blame Howard just for being on the bench.

What has happened to Man Utd? They have not shown any bite now for a couple of years.

BTW, Carroll is looking very good for West Ham.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
and VDS has looked 10 times better than him, best keeper this season by a mile.
Maybe so.

I am just saying that Carroll looks far more confident and experienced with West Ham. He has saved their butts on a few occasions this year.

He looks like a different keeper from last year.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Making fun of Gary Neville, he made the most sense recently when quoted, "We have to stop worrying about Chelsea and start worrying about Totenham and Wigan."

Wise words if you ask me. Can't win it, if you are not focusing on what you have to win.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
I have not been convinced they are going to get the job done this year, even with Van der Saar.

They have no midfield. Scholes sucks, Smith is a bully. Was that Fletcher standing and watching Yakubu blow by Rio? I mean he just stood there.

They need to shake things up or get a leader on the field because there is none right now. Ruud got no service, except for his near post shot from Park.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Bentex said:
did you know these two things?

1) Keane, Heinze, Brown, Neville, Giggs, Saha, Solskjaer (first choice players) + Fortune are all injured?

2) Boro' were 0-3 up at old trafford the season we won the treble?

relax, don't get your knickers in a twist over a situation that cannot be helped.
Sorry Bentex, I do not agree with you.

These other guys are just not stepping up. They did not last year either. So, when are they going to step up and be counted. Beckham, Scholes, and Giggs were contributing when they were the same age as these lads.

The stakes are a little different this year with Chelski not even stubbing their toe. And, I do not see a dip in their performance with the bench they have. They make two first class teams with them players.

Something has been amiss now for 3 years, since the whole Beckham debacle. The formula is not working.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.